• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Opinion/Suggestion - Best 0 balance digital saving account for UPI

Reaper

TF Select
After the fiasco with Paytm Payments Bank, I am looking forward to opening a 0 balance savings account majorly for UPI transactions.
I am not concerned about rewards or interest however below are my major criteria:
  • Should have a strong IT backend so it does not impact regular UPI transactions.
  • Must support UPI Lite
  • Not interested in Debit Card hence virtual debit card would be more than sufficient
  • I am open to submitting all necessary documents as part of my account opening except for AADHAR linked mobile number (instead I want my account to be linked to my alternate number)
  • Minimum branch visit as soon I will be moving abroad for 2 years
Please suggest to me the best account that fulfils my above needs.

Thought of Kotak's 811 Digital account but got afraid after listening to multiple complaints of the account getting frozen.

Last edited:

Reaper

TF Select
Kotak 811 is best
Regarding freezing it's not an issue
Unless you are doing some illegal stuff or crypto,etc
Truly zero balance
Based on the renter's request, I might use it to collect my monthly rent amount.
What scares me is that if Kotak freeze my account (with a regular infusion of money) then I will not be able to visit their branch.

Vasuki

TF Pioneer
Contributor
RML Group
VIP Lounge
Based on the renter's request, I might use it to collect my monthly rent amount.
What scares me is that if Kotak freeze my account (with a regular infusion of money) then I will not be able to visit their branch.
You want zero balance account but like to do transaction of current account.

Kotak 811 is best .
If u under 25 . Hdfc digi youth account 2500 mab .
If u r premium institute graduate - idfc future first.

Covid era is gone ..bank are no longer looking for zero balance account.

Reaper

TF Select
You want zero balance account but like to do transaction of current account.

Kotak 811 is best .
If u under 25 . Hdfc digi youth account 2500 mab .
If u r premium institute graduate - idfc future first.

Covid era is gone ..bank are no longer looking for zero balance account.
Yes, Paytm used to be a 0 balance account and I could also easily perform my day-to-day transactions.

I am 29 hence HDFC Digi won't work for me.
Thought of IDFC Future First but it doesn't support UPI Lite. It has been a year since UPI Lite was launched, not sure what's stopping IDFC guys from implementing it. This reflects how strong and active their IT/digital wing is.

Vasuki

TF Pioneer
Contributor
RML Group
VIP Lounge
Yes, Paytm used to be a 0 balance account and I could also easily perform my day-to-day transactions.

I am 29 hence HDFC Digi won't work for me.
Thought of IDFC Future First but it doesn't support UPI Lite. It has been a year since UPI Lite was launched, not sure what's stopping IDFC guys from implementing it. This reflects how strong and active their IT/digital wing is.
That being idfc is conventional bank with idfc future being equivalent to 25k account..
For upi lite there is always kotak 811 .

Since when upi lite became a Downer for other free benefits...

There doesn't exist 0 balance account with " good digital infrastructure"

Indus , au , is trash

Hdfc , icici ,sbi( might offer) , maybe bob .

doraemon

TF Legend
That being idfc is conventional bank with idfc future being equivalent to 25k account..

Indus , au , is trash

Au is great in my case only dc is charged
And branch is very supportive
Rm calls me for feedbacks and most of my work is done on call itself

Reaper

TF Select

Indus , au , is trash

I agree, even I realised this combination was a little unrealistic when I started researching based on my criteria.
UPI Lite is handy when performing regular transactions as it is convenient and the failure rate is comparatively less. I got addicted to UPI Lite as in Bangalore 90% of transactions are below Rs150.

Reaper

TF Select
Au is great in my case only dc is charged
And branch is very supportive
Rm calls me for feedbacks and most of my work is done on call itself
AU was on my radar but I couldn't proceed with it as someone said I should use the same number that is linked to my AADHAR.
If I visit their branch, do I still need to use that number or sharing physical copies of AADHAR would bypass this criteria?