• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Opinion/Suggestion - Best 0 balance digital saving account for UPI

Reaper

TF Select
After the fiasco with Paytm Payments Bank, I am looking forward to opening a 0 balance savings account majorly for UPI transactions.
I am not concerned about rewards or interest however below are my major criteria:
  • Should have a strong IT backend so it does not impact regular UPI transactions.
  • Must support UPI Lite
  • Not interested in Debit Card hence virtual debit card would be more than sufficient
  • I am open to submitting all necessary documents as part of my account opening except for AADHAR linked mobile number (instead I want my account to be linked to my alternate number)
  • Minimum branch visit as soon I will be moving abroad for 2 years
Please suggest to me the best account that fulfils my above needs.

Thought of Kotak's 811 Digital account but got afraid after listening to multiple complaints of the account getting frozen.

Last edited:

Reaper

TF Select
Why not SBI regular savings account? There is no minimum balance requirement afaik and core tech / internet banking are solid. Branch visits are a concern but why would you need to visit the branch?

RBI has recently mandated that all digitally opened accounts must be opened with the same mobile number which is linked with your Aadhar. It is a bit of a mess because Aadhar allows multiple people to have same linked phone number, but many banks do not like different customers to have the same mobile number, add their software cannot handle this. If you still want to open digitally, the way to do it is open with that mobile number initially and then after the cooldown period, change mobile number using the bank's process.
I have my PPF account with SBI and whenever I visit there to update my passbook unka lunch time he chalta rehta hai.
I didn't know RBI had come up with such a mandate but still banks should be able to tweak their software in such a way that it gives the option to choose a mobile number during account opening.

Reaper

TF Select
you can always use a 3rd party app that supports UPI app
For UPI Lite to work, both banks and mobile app should support this feature.
It was initially launched with 6 banks and currently, this list contains 22 banks. I don't understand why major banks like IDFC & Indusind Banks haven't implemented it yet. And same goes for Apps, only 3 of them are compatible apart from BHIM.

vine

TF Premier
On a related note,
What all should we do before uninstalling Paytm app?

As of now , I have:
Disabled UPI Lite,
Made paytm wallet as zero,
Unlinked credit cards
Unlinked third party apps, like Uber, Ola, etc.