• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Taking a Stand Against The Axis Bank Credit Card Circus

TechnoFino

Founder
TF Family
Founder
Admin
Hello TFCians,
As you are already aware, Axis Bank has issued notices to many Atlas credit card holders, requesting invoices for their spending on travel categories over the last few months. Axis Bank has suspended affected customers' Edge Reward accounts and asked them to submit these invoices within 30 days. Otherwise, they will cancel the credit card, citing commercial use (non-personal) of their credit cards.

Notice Copy (Found on TFC):

Screenshot 2024.png

The problem lies in the fact that many affected customers have only spent a few thousand rupees on travel categories such as hotel and flight bookings, and yet they have received this notice. Some customers have even purchased gift vouchers worth a few thousand rupees from Intermiles and still received this notice. While I understand that Axis Bank is trying to filter out abusers from their customer list, the steps they are taking seem like pure harassment to genuine customers.

Imagine a scenario where a person went on a trip to Europe, spent a significant amount on flight, hotel bookings and other related expenses, and after a few months, the bank asks for invoices for all transactions. Is this a verification process for non-personal use of their card or harassment? Who has the free time to gather invoices and submit them to the bank?
In my opinion, affected genuine spenders should contact Axis Bank and request the reactivation of their Edge Reward account as soon as possible, explaining that all spends were for personal purposes only. If the bank persists with its demand, then the customer should file a complaint with the RBI banking ombudsman and claim compensation for mental harassment from the bank.

Axis Bank's terms and conditions on card cancellation:

"To ensure that the Credit Card is being used as per the regulatory guidelines, Terms and Conditions and applicable policies of the Bank, Bank shall have a right to run periodic checks on the Credit Card usage to identify whether there is excessive utilization of credit limit beyond the sanctioned limit in one statement cycle, unusual or excessive utilization at few select merchants, to make repayment of another credit card/loans, transfer funds to savings account, possible collusion with merchant and/or usage towards non-personal/ business related requirements, over-use/ misuse of features/ offers/ programs towards accumulation of undue reward points/ cash back / other benefits amongst others. In such a scenario Axis Bank may, at its sole discretion, exercise its right to cancel the concerned Credit Card and additional/add-on cards thereof and withhold/cancel the Cashback/reward points earned at customer level, without any notice to the Cardholder. Axis Bank may also enquire with you over phone or through any other means of formal communication and seek details, information, proofs, etc., about the Credit Card transactions, pattern of usage, etc. Non- satisfactory responses or no responses from the Cardholder may lead to blocking/closure of the Credit Card by Axis Bank."

So, now the question arises: on what grounds can you lodge a complaint against Axis Bank? Axis Bank has stated that they can request proofs, call customers for verification, and if customers fail to respond or submit proofs on time, the bank can cancel their credit card. Fair enough, but they have also stated that "If there is excessive utilization of credit limit beyond the sanctioned limit in one statement cycle, unusual or excessive utilization at few select merchants, to make repayment of another credit card/loans, transfer funds to savings account, possible collusion with merchant, and/or usage towards non-personal/ business-related requirements, overuse/misuse of features/offers/programs towards accumulation of undue reward points/ cashback / other benefits among others."

How can spending Rs. 2000 on Intermiles or Rs. 5000 on a hotel be considered as non-personal use? Why have people with such low utilization of their limit received such notices?

Once again, you need to explain the entire situation to the ombudsman. Axis Bank has every right to request proofs, but if someone has a credit limit of Rs. 5,00,000 and has only utilized a few thousand rupees, how can the bank consider that as business expenses? Isn't asking for invoices for all small transactions a time-consuming task for a customer?

I consider this to be pure harassment.

How to file a complaint with the RBI banking ombudsman (detail step by step guide): https://www.technofino.in/community...ank-on-the-rbi-banking-ombudsman-portal.3130/

Ankur dhanda

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Hello TFCians,
As you are already aware, Axis Bank has issued notices to many Atlas credit card holders, requesting invoices for their spending on travel categories over the last few months. Axis Bank has suspended affected customers' Edge Reward accounts and asked them to submit these invoices within 30 days. Otherwise, they will cancel the credit card, citing commercial use (non-personal) of their credit cards.

Notice Copy (Found on TFC):

Screenshot 2024.png

The problem lies in the fact that many affected customers have only spent a few thousand rupees on travel categories such as hotel and flight bookings, and yet they have received this notice. Some customers have even purchased gift vouchers worth a few thousand rupees from Intermiles and still received this notice. While I understand that Axis Bank is trying to filter out abusers from their customer list, the steps they are taking seem like pure harassment to genuine customers.

Imagine a scenario where a person went on a trip to Europe, spent a significant amount on flight, hotel bookings and other related expenses, and after a few months, the bank asks for invoices for all transactions. Is this a verification process for non-personal use of their card or harassment? Who has the free time to gather invoices and submit them to the bank?
In my opinion, affected genuine spenders should contact Axis Bank and request the reactivation of their Edge Reward account as soon as possible, explaining that all spends were for personal purposes only. If the bank persists with its demand, then the customer should file a complaint with the RBI banking ombudsman and claim compensation for mental harassment from the bank.

Axis Bank's terms and conditions on card cancellation:

"To ensure that the Credit Card is being used as per the regulatory guidelines, Terms and Conditions and applicable policies of the Bank, Bank shall have a right to run periodic checks on the Credit Card usage to identify whether there is excessive utilization of credit limit beyond the sanctioned limit in one statement cycle, unusual or excessive utilization at few select merchants, to make repayment of another credit card/loans, transfer funds to savings account, possible collusion with merchant and/or usage towards non-personal/ business related requirements, over-use/ misuse of features/ offers/ programs towards accumulation of undue reward points/ cash back / other benefits amongst others. In such a scenario Axis Bank may, at its sole discretion, exercise its right to cancel the concerned Credit Card and additional/add-on cards thereof and withhold/cancel the Cashback/reward points earned at customer level, without any notice to the Cardholder. Axis Bank may also enquire with you over phone or through any other means of formal communication and seek details, information, proofs, etc., about the Credit Card transactions, pattern of usage, etc. Non- satisfactory responses or no responses from the Cardholder may lead to blocking/closure of the Credit Card by Axis Bank."

So, now the question arises: on what grounds can you lodge a complaint against Axis Bank? Axis Bank has stated that they can request proofs, call customers for verification, and if customers fail to respond or submit proofs on time, the bank can cancel their credit card. Fair enough, but they have also stated that "If there is excessive utilization of credit limit beyond the sanctioned limit in one statement cycle, unusual or excessive utilization at few select merchants, to make repayment of another credit card/loans, transfer funds to savings account, possible collusion with merchant, and/or usage towards non-personal/ business-related requirements, overuse/misuse of features/offers/programs towards accumulation of undue reward points/ cashback / other benefits among others."

How can spending Rs. 2000 on Intermiles or Rs. 5000 on a hotel be considered as non-personal use? Why have people with such low utilization of their limit received such notices?

Once again, you need to explain the entire situation to the ombudsman. Axis Bank has every right to request proofs, but if someone has a credit limit of Rs. 5,00,000 and has only utilized a few thousand rupees, how can the bank consider that as business expenses? Isn't asking for invoices for all small transactions a time-consuming task for a customer?

I consider this to be pure harassment.

How to file a complaint with the RBI banking ombudsman (detail step by step guide): https://www.technofino.in/community...ank-on-the-rbi-banking-ombudsman-portal.3130/
I had already closed my Atlas sometime back. Got nil dues, even then got message that redemption on Atlas card is suspended due to non personal usage on travel category, I have MB now that ER rewards portal is also blocked coz of Atlas which is already closed.
What do I do for a card that is already closed and rewards suspension?

Vasuki

TF Pioneer
Contributor
RML Group
VIP Lounge
I had already closed my Atlas sometime back. Got nil dues, even then got message that redemption on Atlas card is suspended due to non personal usage on travel category, I have MB now that ER rewards portal is also blocked coz of Atlas which is already closed.
What do I do for a card that is already closed and rewards suspension?
I m.glad i didn't even activate .. atlas this week 😅 bach gya

SSV

TF Pioneer
Contributor
VIP Lounge
I m.glad i didn't even activate .. atlas this week 😅 bach gya
Don’t worry your turn will come at some point of time!! If you hold any premium cc and if you spend and awarded any rewards..
Very weird Axes..
they want customers to take premium cards and later asks for invoices…
Very weird

Abhishek012

TF Pioneer
An Axis Bank spokesperson, speaking to CNBC-TV18.com, stated, "Evaluating usage of the features and benefits offered on various credit cards is a periodic and ongoing exercise. As part of this exercise, whenever the bank observes a pattern of transactions that is non-personal, customers are requested to furnish evidence to establish the nature of such transactions. Communication to customers is part of a regular process to discourage inappropriate usage for business or commercial purposes, which are prohibited for personal credit cards."

Harry1

TF Legend
VIP Lounge
Completely agree. They have gone way too far this time. Change rules, devalue cards, block cards, block transactions all is acceptable.

But blocking rewards/points without notice is against the trust customers have. Asking for proofs is encroaching one's privacy. I don't care even if it is business spends or not. I just don't feel safe if someone will ask me to show invoices for last whole year. Too much trouble for few extra percentages. Even when ITD does this, it is considered harassment and they do it in very exceptional cases only.

P.S. I am not affected by this or any of earlier ones. And I have never got bad service from Axis. In fact, I consider Axis as best bank ever at least for my case.

SSV

TF Pioneer
Contributor
VIP Lounge
An Axis Bank spokesperson, speaking to CNBC-TV18.com, stated, "Evaluating usage of the features and benefits offered on various credit cards is a periodic and ongoing exercise. As part of this exercise, whenever the bank observes a pattern of transactions that is non-personal, customers are requested to furnish evidence to establish the nature of such transactions. Communication to customers is part of a regular process to discourage inappropriate usage for business or commercial purposes, which are prohibited for personal credit cards."

Business as usual from the Banks side, is their view..
What it indirectly is telling the customers that we will do the same , continue to do the same in future as well , as part of their periodic activity..

On some other thread , someone was expecting some sort of apology for the inconvenience caused.. here is their apology

Last edited:

chasni

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Business as usual from the Banks side, is their view..
What it indirectly telling the customers we will do the same continue to do the same in future as well as part of their periodic activity..

On some other thread , someone was expecting some sort of apology for the inconvenience caused.. here is their apology
This is just a PR statement. Nothing more.

SSV

TF Pioneer
Contributor
VIP Lounge
Then why have you been promoting it every where?
Because until this happened, Atlas was the ultimate card…
One thing we all need to recognise in the financial world… If it looks and feels too good to be true, it most likely is…

Vasuki

TF Pioneer
Contributor
RML Group
VIP Lounge
Wait what? How?
Talkin' about the magnus monthly bonus which took return to 25% on 1 lakh per month spends.
Then why have you been promoting it every where?
2 thing happened -
Rbi warning about p2p rent payment .. ( which was good way to complete tier milestone in atlas ..

Then axis sending this notice email to everyone..
I was like F**k it ..
Because until this happened, Atlas was the ultimate card…
One thing we all need to recognise in the financial world… If it looks and feels too good to be true, it most likely is…
Yes the ppl from 2023 may was saying atlas gonna devalue .. happened this week 😅