• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Taking a Stand Against The Axis Bank Credit Card Circus

abhiver

TF Premier
Hope it was like that.. today did txn at reliance digital website for 7k, txn declined, card blocked, app login blocked. Can be unlocked by calling customer care or email.
Card is few months old with regaular txn of few thousands, only personal, in multiple websites.

Every card/bank has their own drama.
Agree, specially when you do transaction after a gap of 2 or 3 month, they initially block the transaction citing random security of card misuse and we have to manually unblock the card.

techt

TF Legend
Nothing brave / exceptional/ daring , mate…
When we have a point, we can freely express without hearting others. That is my way of dealing with the things…
When I was in a meeting even my boss’s boss also come into my line because I call spade a spade.. this was in Australia and in India as well…
But for this , we need to be 100% accurate in what we do/say….
We should not manipulate things…when manipulation happens we can’t be confident
Let's not bring our IT minds here.

Here we have to follow chain of command. We SHOULD NOT question Supreme Commander @Abhishek012

Season 1 Army GIF by The Simpsons

GopalV

TF Select
VIP Lounge
This is also applicable to me.
I have 3 cards from Axis (Airtel, Ace n KWIK). Never had any issue with Axis. The local branch is also very helpful. Very happy.

All because of one thing - never chased RPs, Free Miles n Free flights, never used my cards for others or for rotation or for funding accounts.

The bottom line is no tension n no headache.
My experience is the same with Axis,I have 3 cards with Axis,Select ( My first card with Axis),Ace and now Atlas.I spent more than 4 lakhs till now,on Atlas and my miles weren't blocked.I had bad experience with HDFC where I have a preferred account and I keep a good amount of money there.I had bad experience with Indusind ( the worst bank in my opinion),and I closed the Indusind account.ICICI,my experience so far has been good.With axis I did not face any trouble so far and it's all been positive experience.

Hello TFCians,
As you are already aware, Axis Bank has issued notices to many Atlas credit card holders, requesting invoices for their spending on travel categories over the last few months. Axis Bank has suspended affected customers' Edge Reward accounts and asked them to submit these invoices within 30 days. Otherwise, they will cancel the credit card, citing commercial use (non-personal) of their credit cards.

Notice Copy (Found on TFC):

Screenshot 2024.png

The problem lies in the fact that many affected customers have only spent a few thousand rupees on travel categories such as hotel and flight bookings, and yet they have received this notice. Some customers have even purchased gift vouchers worth a few thousand rupees from Intermiles and still received this notice. While I understand that Axis Bank is trying to filter out abusers from their customer list, the steps they are taking seem like pure harassment to genuine customers.

Imagine a scenario where a person went on a trip to Europe, spent a significant amount on flight, hotel bookings and other related expenses, and after a few months, the bank asks for invoices for all transactions. Is this a verification process for non-personal use of their card or harassment? Who has the free time to gather invoices and submit them to the bank?
In my opinion, affected genuine spenders should contact Axis Bank and request the reactivation of their Edge Reward account as soon as possible, explaining that all spends were for personal purposes only. If the bank persists with its demand, then the customer should file a complaint with the RBI banking ombudsman and claim compensation for mental harassment from the bank.

Axis Bank's terms and conditions on card cancellation:

"To ensure that the Credit Card is being used as per the regulatory guidelines, Terms and Conditions and applicable policies of the Bank, Bank shall have a right to run periodic checks on the Credit Card usage to identify whether there is excessive utilization of credit limit beyond the sanctioned limit in one statement cycle, unusual or excessive utilization at few select merchants, to make repayment of another credit card/loans, transfer funds to savings account, possible collusion with merchant and/or usage towards non-personal/ business related requirements, over-use/ misuse of features/ offers/ programs towards accumulation of undue reward points/ cash back / other benefits amongst others. In such a scenario Axis Bank may, at its sole discretion, exercise its right to cancel the concerned Credit Card and additional/add-on cards thereof and withhold/cancel the Cashback/reward points earned at customer level, without any notice to the Cardholder. Axis Bank may also enquire with you over phone or through any other means of formal communication and seek details, information, proofs, etc., about the Credit Card transactions, pattern of usage, etc. Non- satisfactory responses or no responses from the Cardholder may lead to blocking/closure of the Credit Card by Axis Bank."

So, now the question arises: on what grounds can you lodge a complaint against Axis Bank? Axis Bank has stated that they can request proofs, call customers for verification, and if customers fail to respond or submit proofs on time, the bank can cancel their credit card. Fair enough, but they have also stated that "If there is excessive utilization of credit limit beyond the sanctioned limit in one statement cycle, unusual or excessive utilization at few select merchants, to make repayment of another credit card/loans, transfer funds to savings account, possible collusion with merchant, and/or usage towards non-personal/ business-related requirements, overuse/misuse of features/offers/programs towards accumulation of undue reward points/ cashback / other benefits among others."

How can spending Rs. 2000 on Intermiles or Rs. 5000 on a hotel be considered as non-personal use? Why have people with such low utilization of their limit received such notices?

Once again, you need to explain the entire situation to the ombudsman. Axis Bank has every right to request proofs, but if someone has a credit limit of Rs. 5,00,000 and has only utilized a few thousand rupees, how can the bank consider that as business expenses? Isn't asking for invoices for all small transactions a time-consuming task for a customer?

I consider this to be pure harassment.

How to file a complaint with the RBI banking ombudsman (detail step by step guide): https://www.technofino.in/community...ank-on-the-rbi-banking-ombudsman-portal.3130/
As someone who has been honestly and genuinely using my credit cards since 2010 I welcome this move. This should be followed by all banks.
Before people start going after my head, let me clarify - I am in favour of what the bank is doing. I am not in favour of the way they are doing it.

Most people will always say that they did not know that it was a policy violation or something but every time someone posts with title like loot/trick/hack its by default the card holders responsibility to do a basic mental calculation if this can go against the policy. And the main reason I support this kind of action is because it will act as a deterrent to manipulators and will ensure that most folks who use their cards genuinely get benefited in the long run.
Again just to be clear, I am not implying that everyone who got a notice or account blocked is a manipulator but this kind of periodic checks are definitely needed. I have earned heavy rewards (in lakhs) on DCB, Infinia, Magnus & Magnus Burgundy but never faced any such issues because none of my spends are manufactured or business driven.

I have friends who purchased iPhones, MacBooks etc on Amazon using these cards and applied for GST refund as well. If you are claiming GST on any transaction in any portal, doesn't it by default mean that it's a business transaction?

if it's a genuine transaction, why wry?
on a side gentle note: at least chapri cc influencer got something to post all about on Twitter, there circus is closed after magnus

Last edited:

ssnthegenius

TF Premier
Hello TFCians,
As you are already aware, Axis Bank has issued notices to many Atlas credit card holders, requesting invoices for their spending on travel categories over the last few months. Axis Bank has suspended affected customers' Edge Reward accounts and asked them to submit these invoices within 30 days. Otherwise, they will cancel the credit card, citing commercial use (non-personal) of their credit cards.

Screenshot 2024.png

The problem lies in the fact that many affected customers have only spent a few thousand rupees on travel categories such as hotel and flight bookings, and yet they have received this notice. Some customers have even purchased gift vouchers worth a few thousand rupees from Intermiles and still received this notice. While I understand that Axis Bank is trying to filter out abusers from their customer list, the steps they are taking seem like pure harassment to genuine customers.

Imagine a scenario where a person went on a trip to Europe, spent a significant amount on flight, hotel bookings and other related expenses, and after a few months, the bank asks for invoices for all transactions. Is this a verification process for non-personal use of their card or harassment? Who has the free time to gather invoices and submit them to the bank?
In my opinion, affected genuine spenders should contact Axis Bank and request the reactivation of their Edge Reward account as soon as possible, explaining that all spends were for personal purposes only. If the bank persists with its demand, then the customer should file a complaint with the RBI banking ombudsman and claim compensation for mental harassment from the bank.

"To ensure that the Credit Card is being used as per the regulatory guidelines, Terms and Conditions and applicable policies of the Bank, Bank shall have a right to run periodic checks on the Credit Card usage to identify whether there is excessive utilization of credit limit beyond the sanctioned limit in one statement cycle, unusual or excessive utilization at few select merchants, to make repayment of another credit card/loans, transfer funds to savings account, possible collusion with merchant and/or usage towards non-personal/ business related requirements, over-use/ misuse of features/ offers/ programs towards accumulation of undue reward points/ cash back / other benefits amongst others. In such a scenario Axis Bank may, at its sole discretion, exercise its right to cancel the concerned Credit Card and additional/add-on cards thereof and withhold/cancel the Cashback/reward points earned at customer level, without any notice to the Cardholder. Axis Bank may also enquire with you over phone or through any other means of formal communication and seek details, information, proofs, etc., about the Credit Card transactions, pattern of usage, etc. Non- satisfactory responses or no responses from the Cardholder may lead to blocking/closure of the Credit Card by Axis Bank."

So, now the question arises: on what grounds can you lodge a complaint against Axis Bank? Axis Bank has stated that they can request proofs, call customers for verification, and if customers fail to respond or submit proofs on time, the bank can cancel their credit card. Fair enough, but they have also stated that "If there is excessive utilization of credit limit beyond the sanctioned limit in one statement cycle, unusual or excessive utilization at few select merchants, to make repayment of another credit card/loans, transfer funds to savings account, possible collusion with merchant, and/or usage towards non-personal/ business-related requirements, overuse/misuse of features/offers/programs towards accumulation of undue reward points/ cashback / other benefits among others."

How can spending Rs. 2000 on Intermiles or Rs. 5000 on a hotel be considered as non-personal use? Why have people with such low utilization of their limit received such notices?

Once again, you need to explain the entire situation to the ombudsman. Axis Bank has every right to request proofs, but if someone has a credit limit of Rs. 5,00,000 and has only utilized a few thousand rupees, how can the bank consider that as business expenses? Isn't asking for invoices for all small transactions a time-consuming task for a customer?

How to file a complaint with the RBI banking ombudsman (detail step by step guide): https://www.technofino.in/community...ank-on-the-rbi-banking-ombudsman-portal.3130/
Good step by Axis Bank. I appreciate it. Nowadays all invoices are available online so if you had spent genuinely then it shouldn't be bothering you. It's for the people who are making a living out of the CC rewards.

Vasuki

TF Pioneer
Contributor
RML Group
VIP Lounge
Hello TFCians,

Screenshot 2024.png

My question is
What stand did you took?
just consideration that it is harrasment 👀

raviemailid

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
If Axis Bank is suspicious of certain transactions, there are better ways to address it than to block the whole card.

I got the emails and SMS 3 days ago. In the email, it said about transactions between Nov-Feb. I travel regularly and my expenses are split between Infinia and Atlas. In this 3 month window, I would have done atleast 20 travels. I wasn't sure which transaction Axis is concerned about - so I sent an email to their premium support. Support responded saying they have issue with transaction from Sep - Nov. I took this card in September. I asked them again for the transactions and they gave me a list of 4 transaction in that month, 3 are flights of Etihad, Emirates and Finnair and one is hotel from Agoda. The Agoda hotel bill is of 3k. It's miniscule considering I have already crossed Platinum category on Atlas. Digging the email a d bills out for such 6 month old transaction are nothing but a headache.

Also, if they had issues, why are they coming so late, should not they flag these the same billing cycle?

Also, why block the whole card? If you concerns regarding specific transaction, you withhold the points on that. Why would they block the whole card and all the points.

Also, there has to be a basis for them to run a report like this. None of these transactions have GST, which is what I think they are looking for.

At the end of they day, I am fairly pissed with them. I will move my expenses from they to Infinia, which so far has behaved much more professionally. Once the card is activated( I have submitted the proof after spending 2-3 hours), I'll try to move the points to some miles and preferably be good with it.

Very unhappy with the whole saga and experience.

SSV

TF Pioneer
Contributor
VIP Lounge
If Axis Bank is suspicious of certain transactions, there are better ways to address it than to block the whole card.

I got the emails and SMS 3 days ago. In the email, it said about transactions between Nov-Feb. I travel regularly and my expenses are split between Infinia and Atlas. In this 3 month window, I would have done atleast 20 travels. I wasn't sure which transaction Axis is concerned about - so I sent an email to their premium support. Support responded saying they have issue with transaction from Sep - Nov. I took this card in September. I asked them again for the transactions and they gave me a list of 4 transaction in that month, 3 are flights of Etihad, Emirates and Finnair and one is hotel from Agoda. The Agoda hotel bill is of 3k. It's miniscule considering I have already crossed Platinum category on Atlas. Digging the email a d bills out for such 6 month old transaction are nothing but a headache.

Also, if they had issues, why are they coming so late, should not they flag these the same billing cycle?

Also, why block the whole card? If you concerns regarding specific transaction, you withhold the points on that. Why would they block the whole card and all the points.

Also, there has to be a basis for them to run a report like this. None of these transactions have GST, which is what I think they are looking for.

At the end of they day, I am fairly pissed with them. I will move my expenses from they to Infinia, which so far has behaved much more professionally. Once the card is activated( I have submitted the proof after spending 2-3 hours), I'll try to move the points to some miles and preferably be good with it.

Very unhappy with the whole saga and experience.
This is the sort of customer experience that any professionally run bank must avoid to happen at any cost..
but our lovely AXES had proudly announced that they would do this kind of exercise regularly to insult and humiliate its bonafide customers in the name of weeding out the naughty customers!!!

Last edited:

techt

TF Legend
That's exactly their modus operandi. Delay so much that even genuine users won't be able to use them.

In my childhood, I had an English poem. (A stupid poem, why teach about death to children ?)

Solomon Grundy,
Born on a Monday,
Christened on Tuesday,
Married on Wednesday,
Took ill on Thursday,
Grew worse on Friday,
Died on Saturday,
Buried on Sunday,
That was the end,
Of Solomon Grundy
An axis super prem card user be like,

Joydeep planned a Dasara vacation on January,
Moved spends and transacted on February,
Waited for reward confirmation till March,

TnC changed on April,
RPs never credited till May,
Mailed to CS on June,

Battled with RBI on July, August
Got a mail to prove his spends are genuine on September

Used another card for travel paying heftily last moment on October,
Realize what a mistake it is to trust in November,
Finally Joydeep bid bye to the axis creep on December.

Last edited:

chiggybansal1

TF Select
Contributor
RML Group
VIP Lounge
As someone who has been honestly and genuinely using my credit cards since 2010 I welcome this move. This should be followed by all banks.
Before people start going after my head, let me clarify - I am in favour of what the bank is doing. I am not in favour of the way they are doing it.

Most people will always say that they did not know that it was a policy violation or something but every time someone posts with title like loot/trick/hack its by default the card holders responsibility to do a basic mental calculation if this can go against the policy. And the main reason I support this kind of action is because it will act as a deterrent to manipulators and will ensure that most folks who use their cards genuinely get benefited in the long run.
Again just to be clear, I am not implying that everyone who got a notice or account blocked is a manipulator but this kind of periodic checks are definitely needed. I have earned heavy rewards (in lakhs) on DCB, Infinia, Magnus & Magnus Burgundy but never faced any such issues because none of my spends are manufactured or business driven.

I have friends who purchased iPhones, MacBooks etc on Amazon using these cards and applied for GST refund as well. If you are claiming GST on any transaction in any portal, doesn't it by default mean that it's a business transaction?
For your last Point regarding purchases and using GST for ITC, Bank merely knows that you claimed for GST on that amount.

For your last Point regarding purchases and using GST for ITC, Bank merely knows that you claimed for GST on that amount.
That’s my point right, bank doesn’t know but the person who made the purchase knows that he’s double dipping. But he still does it simply because he knows he can’t get caught. So axis for a change has now done the smart thing - asking for invoices and proofs (which will show what kind of transaction it is).

Rags

TF Select
My experience with axis 3 cards, M4B, Atlas and reserve sofar has been great. No issues except some delay in customer support.