• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

UPI killing usage of cards

iamdhamo

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Cos of UPI merchants are asking to use to pay via UPI instead of cc and this makes a cause where in the same shop I had used cc now I m using UPI. Also the merchant has stopped to accept upi via rupay cc. Incase if I ask cc payment then he asks the mdr to be paid by me

Hence my cc is also dormant n my rupay cc is also dormant.

Have you people started to face this scenario?

krish11

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Cos of UPI merchants are asking to use to pay via UPI instead of cc and this makes a cause where in the same shop I had used cc now I m using UPI. Also the merchant has stopped to accept upi via rupay cc. Incase if I ask cc payment then he asks the mdr to be paid by me

Hence my cc is also dormant n my rupay cc is also dormant.

Have you people started to face this scenario?
Even i have not faced any such issues. Interestingly, local vegetable sellers on cart are accepting Rupay CC on UPI in my area. And there's no issue in using Rupay CC on UPI with proper stores as well.
Although I have observed that some stores have stopped using POS terminal and ask to use UPI only(including Rupay CC) to make payment.

iamdhamo

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Even i have not faced any such issues. Interestingly, local vegetable sellers on cart are accepting Rupay CC on UPI in my area. And there's no issue in using Rupay CC on UPI with proper stores as well.
Although I have observed that some stores have stopped using POS terminal and ask to use UPI only(including Rupay CC) to make payment.
Guess the amount is less than 2000. Once they get more txns above 2k then they will stop accepting rupay cc upi

I m also able to pay using rupay cc UPI in small shops

hema220

TF Premier
I am using rupay cc for UPI payments. We Indians always misunderstood the things. They are no MDR upto 2k payment. Most of the payments comes within this range (vegitable shops, small road side restaurants, fuel stations etc.) If they don't accept rupay cc for UPI, they loose their business. What I do is that time I will pay through bank account and next time I will not visit that shop. With the fear of non- existent MDR they are loosing thier business. Because, most of the small shops are having payment value less than 20k.

Swastik

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
I recently got my Ntorq serviced at TVS ,untill last time (3 months ago) i used to pay with my card ,now not only they've removed card machines but also when i tried to make UPI payment on Paytm by my Tata Neu Plus, it says "merchant has disabled credit card payments"

Its 1st time this happened to me but it is alarming if more merchants start following suit

techt

TF Legend
I recently got my Ntorq serviced at TVS ,untill last time (3 months ago) i used to pay with my card ,now not only they've removed card machines but also when i tried to make UPI payment on Paytm by my Tata Neu Plus, it says "merchant has disabled credit card payments"

Its 1st time this happened to me but it is alarming if more merchants start following suit
this is bound to happen

krish11

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Yup....
In small stores or small restaurants, i feel the bill value is less than 2K almost all the time and then in large department stores like Spar Hypermarket or DMart or big restaurants, they always have POS along with UPI

iamdhamo

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
I am using rupay cc for UPI payments. We Indians always misunderstood the things. They are no MDR upto 2k payment. Most of the payments comes within this range (vegitable shops, small road side restaurants, fuel stations etc.) If they don't accept rupay cc for UPI, they loose their business. What I do is that time I will pay through bank account and next time I will not visit that shop. With the fear of non- existent MDR they are loosing thier business. Because, most of the small shops are having payment value less than 20k.
I think icici alone puts mdr even for txns below 2k cos provide rewards for the same. Indus ind also gives rewards for less than ek not sure if mdr is applied.

Stargod

TF Premier
Yes agree with you. NPCI & RBI has made joke of UPI on Rupay CC after introducing MDR on payments>2k. No merchant wants to take money via Rupay CC UPI due to MDR charges. Rupay CC will become joke until Npci & RBI intervenes. Our great Indian tech is declining in market but it's the truth.

Last edited:

krish11

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
I think icici alone puts mdr even for txns below 2k cos provide rewards for the same. Indus ind also gives rewards for less than ek not sure if mdr is applied.

There are more banks giving rewards for less than 2K transactions using Rupay Credit Card on UPI. Eg - Tata Neu Infinity, AU Bank Instapay, IDFC Power, Kwik Axix, BOB Premier. Mostly I use these cards and so definitely sure that rewards are given for UPI txn less than 2K.

I do have some more Rupay cards on UPi but but not sure about rewards

zoro

TF Select
Guess the amount is less than 2000. Once they get more txns above 2k then they will stop accepting rupay cc upi

I m also able to pay using rupay cc UPI in small shops
my guess, the vendors from small shops might not be properly aware of the MDR, and even if aware not know how to disable etc.
What I have observed is many of the small retailers have also started pasting their personal QR instead of merchant QR, few even say do UPI to a certain number or ID instead of QR.

iamdhamo

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
my guess, the vendors from small shops might not be properly aware of the MDR, and even if aware not know how to disable etc.
What I have observed is many of the small retailers have also started pasting their personal QR instead of merchant QR, few even say do UPI to a certain number or ID instead of QR.
Yeah I too faced this while paying at hotels in north india