• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

ICICI CREDIT CARD FRAUD ALERT

chiggybansal1

TF Select
Contributor
RML Group
VIP Lounge
Here I am new to post threads but i want to bring attention about the fraud or scam taking place for the ICICI card holders only, I am sharing my story:
In April, 2023 I got my Coral Card and after a month I got a fake call from ICICI customer care stating that my reward points will expire if i do not redeem it now for which he had shared some app on my whatsapp, and a site where you will just enter your card details to verify and boom its done!
I knew about this so i responded like " How much do you earn from this?" his reply was " 2 lakh ho gya aaj ka"
so i asked what they need and how they get numbers by saying that I am also interested if i get paid. he said he gets contacts from different sources in which they just want customer name, mobile no, city and Bank name.
its only happening to ICICI Credit card holders as I received call for my mother's card and father's card also which i applied in Aug,2023 Before this I haven't received any such call.
One more example is that my close neighbour recently got HPCL Coral card in Oct,2023 and got call in Nov,2023. she was naive and believed that the call is from the customer care and on which that guy shared fake id card on whatsapp and email named icici bank and its logo, she believed its from bank and after which he called on whatsapp and told to dial *401*9876543210 by which call forwarding get enabled, shared all card details of the same card and while this was going on he tricked her and got other card details as well which was of RBL bank and after a while BOOM! 60k limit got cleaned within minutes from ICICI Card after that he tried to clean RBL bank too but was not able to as the last payment of card for RBL was 1 day late due to which card got temporarily blocked and it saved another 60k.
To this I called ICICI customer care and asked to block card and dispute all the recent transactions for chargeback. Its been a month investigation is into it.

If anyone can help me out for the same please let me know
and
to @TechnoFino @Subhankar WHAT CAN BE DONE FROM OUR END TO REPORT THIS TYPE OF FRAUD ITS HAPPENING WITH ICICI CARDHOLDERS ONLY.

Attaching some of the screenshots for the reference...

Attachments

• img 1.jpg
    img 1.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 211
  • img 2.jpg
    img 2.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 210
  • img 3.jpg
    img 3.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 200
  • img 4.jpg
    img 4.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 213
  • img 5.jpg
    img 5.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 204
  • img 6.jpg
    img 6.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 203
  • img 7.jpg
    img 7.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 188
  • img 8.jpg
    img 8.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 210

Nishan11

TF Ace
Contributor
VIP Lounge
Here I am new to post threads but i want to bring attention about the fraud or scam taking place for the ICICI card holders only, I am sharing my story:
In April, 2023 I got my Coral Card and after a month I got a fake call from ICICI customer care stating that my reward points will expire if i do not redeem it now for which he had shared some app on my whatsapp, and a site where you will just enter your card details to verify and boom its done!
I knew about this so i responded like " How much do you earn from this?" his reply was " 2 lakh ho gya aaj ka"
so i asked what they need and how they get numbers by saying that I am also interested if i get paid. he said he gets contacts from different sources in which they just want customer name, mobile no, city and Bank name.
its only happening to ICICI Credit card holders as I received call for my mother's card and father's card also which i applied in Aug,2023 Before this I haven't received any such call.
One more example is that my close neighbour recently got HPCL Coral card in Oct,2023 and got call in Nov,2023. she was naive and believed that the call is from the customer care and on which that guy shared fake id card on whatsapp and email named icici bank and its logo, she believed its from bank and after which he called on whatsapp and told to dial *401*9876543210 by which call forwarding get enabled, shared all card details of the same card and while this was going on he tricked her and got other card details as well which was of RBL bank and after a while BOOM! 60k limit got cleaned within minutes from ICICI Card after that he tried to clean RBL bank too but was not able to as the last payment of card for RBL was 1 day late due to which card got temporarily blocked and it saved another 60k.
To this I called ICICI customer care and asked to block card and dispute all the recent transactions for chargeback. Its been a month investigation is into it.

and
to @TechnoFino @Subhankar WHAT CAN BE DONE FROM OUR END TO REPORT THIS TYPE OF FRAUD ITS HAPPENING WITH ICICI CARDHOLDERS ONLY.

This call forwarding scammed recently happening a lot, even 1 lady from my society also got scammer & scammed forwarded otps & stole 2L.

SSV

TF Pioneer
Contributor
VIP Lounge
Bank employees sell customer data. There's no stopping this. Refusing all calls is the only way.
Just now one lady called me pretending that she was from AXIS and offered me LE from current 80K to 2 L and talking some rubbish..
Guess what I already got 2.25L CL.. I just hung up in the middle of conversation....
we should not entertain any calls from anybody stating they are from Banks excpet our own RM/BM..

Card_Maddy

TF Premier
VIP Lounge

and

The scammers are also upgrading to next level, complaint to RBI ombusdsman if it has been a month i suggest you to keep ombudsman and let him do the job.

j_s

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
I applied via my known person and damn sure that he didnt does that. It is done from the Backend side.
From what I have gathered so far, those who do it aren't limited to the ones who opened the account for you. The modus operandi is to request for client information on some or the other pretext. Anyone at the bank could be involved. a few thousand bucks for 50 kyc roughly in a mid-size branch is all it costs. There is no concept of privacy or confidentiality.

TF Buzz
Even I got a call from a scammer lady on 2nd Dec'23 on the day my RBL World Safari World card was out for delivery. She wanted me to "verify" card details. It means there are people in RBL bank, who leaked information that I was going to receive "RBL World Safari" credit card on that day. She knew the variant as well.

As a thumb rule, I don't even tell my name on an incoming call. I will verify even a minute detail on the call I initiated to the correct number (not searched from Google).

SunnyM

TF Premier
I have had similar experience from RBL bank where some one tried to scam me and then next day my wife (we both have RBL credit cards but we both knew it was phishing link ) I have shared the pic below . Now obviously this is leaked from bank as how come strangers know which cards we have. Obviously Never had this experience with icici as even though we both have multiple icici credit cards.
Screenshot_2023-12-05-19-07-56-00_2f20755c0aae550d197f1001c44045a4.jpg

pothi

TF Premier
RML Group
Most of the scamsters get to the point quickly and ask us the direct question with an expected answer of yes or no.

Most people who are aware of such scams would say no and / or disconnect the call quickly. All this would happen within 15 seconds at most.

Those who want to report the call to TRAI DND app, please extend the call for appr a minute. The more the duration, the better. Ask the name, the employee ID, the branch, your own name, your city of residence, your email address, etc.

If we report a short call, it could be deemed as a wrong call / number.

When we report a call with longer duration, it can not be discarded as a wrong call / number and the scammer number is likely to be banned after a while and the scammer is likely to loose some of the earnings for the day after his / her number gets a warning via DND.

I speak from my experience. It may not work for others.

Last edited:

j_s

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Most of the scamsters get to the point quickly and ask us the direct question with an expected answer of yes or no.

Most people who are aware of such scams would say no and / or disconnect the call quickly. All this would happen within 15 seconds at most.

Those who want to report the call to TRAI DNS app, please extend the call for appr a minute. The more the duration, the better. Ask the name, the employee ID, the branch, your own name, your city of residence, your email address, etc.

If we report a short call and if we report it, it could be deemed as a wrong call / number.

When we report a call with longer duration, it can not be discarded as a wrong call / number and the scammer number is likely to be banned after a while and the scammer is likely to loose some of the earnings for the day after his / her number gets a warning via DND.

There's also the issue of how easy it is to create a voice model based off of less than a minute's worth of call recording. So, its also an issue to talk to them not knowing what next level scam they are upto.

A random google search brought me to this:

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com...ians-all-the-details/articleshow/99914367.cms

Pankhuri

TF Ace
Now obviously this is leaked from bank as how come strangers know which cards we have
Most probably banks but also if someone get hold of your Pan, then they can find your whole CIBIL report too. IIRC there is some questionnaire if you try to access credit report from a no not in your credit profile, but that is easy to game as the same questionnaire is shown on all the platforms which allow checking of CIBIL.

Pankhuri

TF Ace

Those who want to report the call to TRAI DND app, please extend the call for appr a minute. The more the duration, the better. Ask the name, the employee ID, the branch, your own name, your city of residence, your email address, etc.

If we report a short call, it could be deemed as a wrong call / number.

Most of the numbers are discarded in a day or two. Most of the numbers are registered using aadhaar of other people.

hems106

TF Neo
Today I also got scammed
I received my icici coral credit card on 4 dec'23 and today 5dec23 I got a fake call from customer care saying that some service have been activated on my life time free card, to avoid monthly charges you have turn off the services, he asked to open iMobile pay app but I couldn't find the options, so he asked to update the app using Apk provided by him on WhatsApp, I installed it and added the card details, as soon as I entered the details I realized I'm getting scammed. I quickly turned off all kind of transactions on iMobile app. But it was too late 5 transactions(9999 ,9999 ,40000, 24311 & 9645 rs) were initiated and first 2 got completed.
After avoiding hell lot of fake calls, another life regret

SunnyM

TF Premier
Today I also got scammed
I received my icici coral credit card on 4 dec'23 and today 5dec23 I got a fake call from customer care saying that some service have been activated on my life time free card, to avoid monthly charges you have turn off the services, he asked to open iMobile pay app but I couldn't find the options, so he asked to update the app using Apk provided by him on WhatsApp, I installed it and added the card details, as soon as I entered the details I realized I'm getting scammed. I quickly turned off all kind of transactions on iMobile app. But it was too late 5 transactions(9999 ,9999 ,40000, 24311 & 9645 rs) were initiated and first 2 got completed.
After avoiding hell lot of fake calls, another life regret
This is scary.