• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Steps to add RuPay credit card to BHIM UPI app

Bigde

TF Ace
TF Family
As you all are aware that yesterday NPCI has rolled out RuPay card support for UPI interface. I was eagerly waiting for the launch and kept on looking for ways to add my PNB RuPay card on the UPI apps.

Thanks to video shared by @Abhishek012 (and information about the availability of RuPay UPI support for BHIM app for now), I managed to add my card on the BHIM UPI app.
Here is the link to the video

Here are steps.

Prerequisites: In order to use this feature there are two major prerequisites.
1. RuPay credit card from PNB, UBI or Indian Bank
IMG_AA31ABC5CED0-1.jpeg
2. BHIM UPI
1663758234653.png

Once these two pre-requisites are in place, use the following steps to add your card in the BHIM UPI app.

Step1: Click on the bank name on the top navigation bar, this will take you to a secondary screen.

IMG_5176.PNG

Step2: You will be taken to the following screen

IMG_5177.PNG

Step 3: Select the Plus button to add your credit card. Search for your credit card provider, PNB, UBI and Indian bank available for now
IMG_5178.PNG
IMG_5179 2.PNG
Once a bank is selected, and if you have a credit card associated with that bank, you will start seeing a record for that credit card.

IMG_5182.PNG

If you click on it, you will be taken to a new screen where you can add last six digit of your credit card for the verification purposes.

IMG_5181.PNG

Once done, an OTP will be sent by the bank which you need to enter on the next screen. After successful verification, you will be able to set UPI pin for your credit card.

Experience while paying through the credit card on UPI: After successfully adding the credit card, I couldn't stop myself in terms of making my first ever transaction on UPI using credit card. Tried to pay to a merchant using the same and it failed.

Reason: The merchant also need to allow accepting the payments using credit cards on their UPI ID. So basically this is a two way process and merchant's role is also involved in it. You simply won't be able to pay via a RuPay card on UPI to any UPI Barcode a merchant has to enable the credit card support on their UPI id.

Conclusion: Earlier I was under the impression that I can use my RuPay card on UPI to make payments to any merchant (be it a vegetable seller or a grocery shop owner), however this assumption fall on it face when I tried making my first payment and came to know that the merchant also need to enable this feature on their side. Which I highly doubt if any small merchant would do as they would have to bear the cost of MDR.

For bigger merchants the RuPay CC support on UPI is another payment mode which they can offer to their customer as they anyways have the swipe machines on their counters and they don't mind paying MDRs.

For consumers, I only see one advantage which is that they do not have to carry credit card physically if they need to make a UPI transaction with a bigger merchants.

Attachments

• IMG_5176.PNG
    IMG_5176.PNG
    621.3 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_5177.PNG
    IMG_5177.PNG
    232.2 KB · Views: 36

Bigde

TF Ace
TF Family
last time i heard small merchants will get exemption on MDR fees.
I agree but small merchants do not have any incentives to enable credit card payments on their UPI account. It is going to be one extra step for them and many of them are non technical to enable such support.

Ticket size for their items are anyways going to be small (few hundred rupees). Hence why would they enable a feature which might become chargeable for them in future.

Abhishek012

TF Pioneer
I agree but small merchants do not have any incentives to enable credit card payments on their UPI account. It is going to be one extra step for them and many of them are non technical to enable such support.

Ticket size for their items are anyways going to be small (few hundred rupees). Hence why would they enable a feature which might become chargeable for them in future.
Your RuPay Credit Card UPI ID is created same like "xyz@upi" ? or some different type of UPI ID like "Credit.xyz@UPI" something ?

Abhishek012

TF Pioneer
There is no separate UPI id for the card. Since my UPI ID was already created, BHIM app simply linked the card with my pre-existing UPI ID.
Ok then i think normal merchant UPI will also work, Which merchant you tried ? Did you tried credit card bill repayment on Amazon ? enter your BHIM UPI id and pay via your RuPay linked UPI.

Amazon is large merchant, also buy something on Amazon via RuPay linked UPI ID. Cancel the order, if payment will get success.

Bigde

TF Ace
TF Family
Ok then i think normal merchant UPI will also work, Which merchant you tried ? Did you tried credit card bill repayment on Amazon ? enter your BHIM UPI id and pay via your RuPay linked UPI.

Amazon is large merchant, also buy something on Amazon via RuPay linked UPI ID. Cancel the order, if payment will get success.
I tried it with an apparel shop's UPI barcode and payment failed with error "CC Payment not enabled on Merchant UPI" (not the exact message but something on the similar lines). Will try on Amazon and let you know.

Abhishek012

TF Pioneer
I tried it with an apparel shop's UPI barcode and payment failed with error "CC Payment not enabled on Merchant UPI" (not the exact message but something on the similar lines). Will try on Amazon and let you know.
Ya try on Amazon.

ICICI paylater UPI work on Amazon (ICICI Paylater UPI charge 1.5% MDR) but other small merchant when we use ICICI paylater UPI, got error something like "Payer is not support VPA". So, should work on Amazon.

vysakh

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Reason: The merchant also need to allow accepting the payments using credit cards on their UPI ID. So basically this is a two way process and merchant's role is also involved in it. You simply won't be able to pay via a RuPay card on UPI to any UPI Barcode a merchant has to enable the credit card support on their UPI id.

Thats makes this useless for most of us :(

Bigde

TF Ace
TF Family
Here is the new finding guys, tried paying with my UPI enabled PNB Card using BHIM app with different vendors and here are the findings.

1. With small eatery having Paytm Barcode: Transaction went through and vendor received the payment instantly Paytm soundbox also announced the receipt of the payment.

2. Another eatery with PhonePe Barcode: Transaction failed with error "Transaction not permitted to UPI ID by the PSP" here the PSP means Payment Service Provider which is PhonePe in this case.

Hence it seems that currently Paytm has allowed payments using UPI enabled credit cards but not PhonePe. I stand corrected to my previous assumption that a vendor needs to allow the payment, it is actually the UPI service provider who need to enable this service from their end.

@Abhishek012

Abhishek012

TF Pioneer
Here is the new finding guys, tried paying with my UPI enabled PNB Card using BHIM app with different vendors and here are the findings.

1. With small eatery having Paytm Barcode: Transaction went through and vendor received the payment instantly Paytm soundbox also announced the receipt of the payment.

2. Another eatery with PhonePe Barcode: Transaction failed with error "Transaction not permitted to UPI ID by the PSP" here the PSP means Payment Service Provider which is PhonePe in this case.

Hence it seems that currently Paytm has allowed payments using UPI enabled credit cards but not PhonePe. I stand corrected to my previous assumption that a vendor needs to allow the payment, it is actually the UPI service provider who need to enable this service from their end.

@Abhishek012
One of my friend working on "in-solutions global ltd (ISG)",

ISG company is PNB's technology partner to enabled RuPay credit card linked with UPI (For Union Bank of India RuPay Credit Card on UPI with "Kiya.ai" as a Technology Partner)

He told me wait till end of 2023, credit card linked with UPI will work everywhere in India, all banks will added and also accept in other countries where UPI payment system is accepted.

Abhishek012

TF Pioneer
Did another transaction on a fuel pump and managed to pay via Paytm Barcode through my PNB CC+BHIM App combo. Payment went through, since this is a UPI transaction, I am assuming there will not be any fuel surcharges applicable on it.
Try any GooglePay Merchant QR and tell its working or not.