• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Credit card recommendations prior to quitting job

abby

TF Buzz
VIP Lounge
I am quitting my job and taking a break for atleast a year. However, i expect my expenses to continue around 3 lakhs a month. Currently have hdfc diners (plastic), magnus, axis vistara, SBI cashback. I wanted to make sure I apply for any recommended cards which I currently don't have, prior to me quitting (using my current salary slip).Any suggestions for must have cards I should apply for (preferably FYF or LTF) before I quit.

aayusharyan

TF Ace
Which bank you have your salary account with? Make sure it's 0MAB unconditional. Some banks will convert salary to normal account if salary deposit doesn't happen in a quarter.

Also, regarding CC, you have good ones. Maybe the card with bank with which you have salary account might be helpful. Depends on the bank.

bigbrain

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
It depends on how you like the returns to be I.e. cash back or gift voucher or hotel/airline loyalty points.
Also where do you spend? Offline or online or spend heavy off gyftr portal. With a 3 lakh monthly I guess you will have spends in every categories.
I see you don’t have any amex in your portfolio. Maybe a good addition if you are looking for Marriott points.
Trying getting your DCB upgraded to infinia.

And all the best for your next phase of life.

Having 4 good cards is enough. Ask (n insist) all of them to get converted to LTF.

The combined limit on these 4 cards must at least be at 10x-12x of your monthly expenses. If not ask for LEs. Getting LEs based on your past usage is relatively much easier.

Instead of focusing on acquiring new cards, focus on the fail proof arrangement you made for monthly CC bill payments during your sabbatical. All the best in fulfilling your plans.

Last edited:

abby

TF Buzz
VIP Lounge
Which bank you have your salary account with? Make sure it's 0MAB unconditional. Some banks will convert salary to normal account if salary deposit doesn't happen in a quarter.

Also, regarding CC, you have good ones. Maybe the card with bank with which you have salary account might be helpful. Depends on the bank.
Have an ICICI account and have been able to make it zero balance account.. never been fond of ICICI cards but let me see if I can score a ltd card

abby

TF Buzz
VIP Lounge
It depends on how you like the returns to be I.e. cash back or gift voucher or hotel/airline loyalty points.
Also where do you spend? Offline or online or spend heavy off gyftr portal. With a 3 lakh monthly I guess you will have spends in every categories.
I see you don’t have any amex in your portfolio. Maybe a good addition if you are looking for Marriott points.
Trying getting your DCB upgraded to infinia.

And all the best for your next phase of life.
Yes.. the spends are across categories.. looking for most of value out of cards leaning towards travel/ points. Will check amex..

abby

TF Buzz
VIP Lounge
Having 4 good cards is enough. Ask (n insist) all of them to get converted to LTF.

The combined limit on these 4 cards must at least be at 10x-12x of your monthly expenses. If not ask for LEs. Getting LEs based on your past usage is relatively much easier.

Instead of focusing on acquiring new cards, focus on the fail proof arrangement you made for monthly CC bill payments during your sabbatical. All the best in fulfilling your plans.
Good point and thanks for the wishes!!

SSV

TF Pioneer
Contributor
VIP Lounge
I am quitting my job and taking a break for atleast a year. However, i expect my expenses to continue around 3 lakhs a month. Currently have hdfc diners (plastic), magnus, axis vistara, SBI cashback. I wanted to make sure I apply for any recommended cards which I currently don't have, prior to me quitting (using my current salary slip).Any suggestions for must have cards I should apply for (preferably FYF or LTF) before I quit.
Get
1) IDFC Wealth
2) ICICI Apay
3) AU LIT

All LTF

bonheur

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Does HDFC Infina CC gets revoked post quitting your job automatically or no?
Good question. A similar hypothetical question I have is, do existing credit cards get renewed after the age of 60/65 etc, if the retired person is still able to sustain regular payments through pensions/other savings?