• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Credit Card Chargeback Claim System: Ultimate Guide

TechnoFino

Founder
TF Family
Founder
Admin
One of the primary benefits of using a credit card is the level of protection it provides. Along with various perks, credit cards offer a few safeguards, such as fraud protection and a chargeback system. Although the chargeback system is incredibly useful, it's often overlooked. Therefore, today, we'll delve into the details of the credit card chargeback system.
Compared to a bank account or debit card, a credit card's chargeback system is much more potent. Chargeback refers to the process of disputing a transaction that you believe you're not responsible for paying.

Under what circumstances can you file a chargeback claim?
You can file a chargeback claim with your card-issuing bank if you experience any of the following issues:
  • Fraudulent transactions
  • Non-delivery of an ordered item
  • Item damaged upon arrival
  • Incorrect transaction amount
  • Charged for a canceled subscription
  • Service not received
In case of any fraudulent transaction, it's essential to file a chargeback immediately. If you've purchased a damaged product, received an incorrect item, or the merchant didn't deliver the product, you can also file a chargeback claim. Additionally, if you've paid for a service but didn't receive it, or if a company continues to charge you for a canceled digital subscription, you can also file a chargeback claim. These are just a few examples, and the reasons for filing a chargeback claim are not limited to them. If you feel that you've been cheated, you can file a chargeback claim. However, it's crucial to avoid filing a false chargeback claim, as this can result in legal issues.

What is the procedure for filing a chargeback?
If you wish to file a chargeback, you can call your bank's customer care and explain your issue, and help them to identify the transaction you want to dispute. Your bank may ask you to download a chargeback claim form, fill it out, and send it to them via email. This process may take up to 120 days to complete. The bank will provide you with temporary credit for the disputed amount so that you do not have to pay until the bank decides on your chargeback claim.

What happens next after a chargeback is initiated?
The chargeback process is not a single event, but rather a complex and time-consuming process involving several parties. The main participants in this process are the cardholder, the merchant, the issuing bank, the acquiring bank, and sometimes the credit card network.
The chargeback process starts with a disputed payment. When you dispute a transaction, your card-issuing bank will notify the merchant through the acquiring bank. Upon receiving the notification, the merchant can either accept the chargeback or challenge the claim. If the merchant accepts the chargeback, then you will receive a refund from your bank, the temporary credit that was previously credited will become permanent.
However, if the merchant decides to challenge your claim, they must submit a rebuttal letter and supporting evidence to prove that the dispute is invalid. The issuing bank will evaluate this evidence and make a decision whether to reverse or uphold the chargeback.
If the bank decides in favor of the customer, they will receive a refund, the temporary credit will become permanent. On the other hand, if the bank decides in favor of the merchant, the temporary credit will be reversed from the customer's account, and they will have to pay the bill within the due date.
If the merchant disagrees with the bank's decision, they can also appeal through arbitration. At this point, the card network, such as Rupay, Visa, Mastercard, Amex, etc, who issued customer’s credit card, will step in to decide the case. However, the losing party in arbitration will be charged some fees, and no further appeal will be accepted.

Credit cards offer many benefits, including the ability to file chargeback claims. Personally, I have filed three or four chargeback claims and won all of them. Unfortunately, many credit card users are not aware of these hidden benefits, which can be invaluable. Chargebacks have saved me many times and given us the power to avoid being harassed by merchants or companies.

BMR

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Great article. What is the timeline for disputing a charge once the bill has been generated? Google says its 120 days but I recently spoke to axis customer care who said there's no timeline. So confused.

CD.

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
I am still fighting a chargeback case with axis bank against a bad seller who gave defective piece and refused to pick it up for refund as mentioned in TNC on their site . 2 months now (only temporary credit given). Have mailed them today for an update

vaibhav111

TF Legend
TF Family
VIP Lounge
Sr Moderator
Great article. What is the timeline for disputing a charge once the bill has been generated? Google says its 120 days but I recently spoke to axis customer care who said there's no timeline. So confused.
i think if your don't receive the service/product it is better to charge chargeback as soon as possible, cause the window of chargeback might differ from bank to bank that just my assumption/gut feeling cause quicker you bring notice to your bank cc the faster the solution will be provided.

CD.

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
i think if your don't receive the service/product it is better to charge chargeback as soon as possible, cause the window of chargeback might differ from bank to bank that just my assumption/gut feeling cause quicker you bring notice to your bank cc the faster the solution will be provided.
Anybody had positive experience with axis bank

vaibhav111

TF Legend
TF Family
VIP Lounge
Sr Moderator
Bro, I just read the entire two pages of your post. I'm glad to hear that your issue was resolved. I learned a few things when In doubt use amex for unknown websites and need to purchase through them. People had good experiences SBI cards in terms of minimal follow-up and quick approval of refunds. I recommend purchasing supplements from nearby offline shops or well-established online marketplaces like Amazon/HealthXP, rather than from a new website. Also, if you come across a website that only provides support through a Gmail address, it's best to avoid buying from them. It indicates that the merchant is not professional and doesn't know how to obtain a professional email address for their brand or company.

BMR

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Bro, I just read the entire two pages of your post. I'm glad to hear that your issue was resolved. I learned a few things when In doubt use amex for unknown websites and need to purchase through them. People had good experiences SBI cards in terms of minimal follow-up and quick approval of refunds. I recommend purchasing supplements from nearby offline shops or well-established online marketplaces like Amazon/HealthXP, rather than from a new website. Also, if you come across a website that only provides support through a Gmail address, it's best to avoid buying from them. It indicates that the merchant is not professional and doesn't know how to obtain a professional email address for their brand or company.
Yes, bro. Learned a lesson. Now I order only through reputed stores.

Crusader4Credit

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
One of the primary benefits of using a credit card is the level of protection it provides. Along with various perks, credit cards offer a few safeguards, such as fraud protection and a chargeback system. Although the chargeback system is incredibly useful, it's often overlooked. Therefore, today, we'll delve into the details of the credit card chargeback system.
Compared to a bank account or debit card, a credit card's chargeback system is much more potent. Chargeback refers to the process of disputing a transaction that you believe you're not responsible for paying.

Under what circumstances can you file a chargeback claim?
You can file a chargeback claim with your card-issuing bank if you experience any of the following issues:
  • Fraudulent transactions
  • Non-delivery of an ordered item
  • Item damaged upon arrival
  • Incorrect transaction amount
  • Charged for a canceled subscription
  • Service not received
In case of any fraudulent transaction, it's essential to file a chargeback immediately. If you've purchased a damaged product, received an incorrect item, or the merchant didn't deliver the product, you can also file a chargeback claim. Additionally, if you've paid for a service but didn't receive it, or if a company continues to charge you for a canceled digital subscription, you can also file a chargeback claim. These are just a few examples, and the reasons for filing a chargeback claim are not limited to them. If you feel that you've been cheated, you can file a chargeback claim. However, it's crucial to avoid filing a false chargeback claim, as this can result in legal issues.

What is the procedure for filing a chargeback?
If you wish to file a chargeback, you can call your bank's customer care and explain your issue, and help them to identify the transaction you want to dispute. Your bank may ask you to download a chargeback claim form, fill it out, and send it to them via email. This process may take up to 120 days to complete. The bank will provide you with temporary credit for the disputed amount so that you do not have to pay until the bank decides on your chargeback claim.

What happens next after a chargeback is initiated?
The chargeback process is not a single event, but rather a complex and time-consuming process involving several parties. The main participants in this process are the cardholder, the merchant, the issuing bank, the acquiring bank, and sometimes the credit card network.
The chargeback process starts with a disputed payment. When you dispute a transaction, your card-issuing bank will notify the merchant through the acquiring bank. Upon receiving the notification, the merchant can either accept the chargeback or challenge the claim. If the merchant accepts the chargeback, then you will receive a refund from your bank, the temporary credit that was previously credited will become permanent.
However, if the merchant decides to challenge your claim, they must submit a rebuttal letter and supporting evidence to prove that the dispute is invalid. The issuing bank will evaluate this evidence and make a decision whether to reverse or uphold the chargeback.
If the bank decides in favor of the customer, they will receive a refund, the temporary credit will become permanent. On the other hand, if the bank decides in favor of the merchant, the temporary credit will be reversed from the customer's account, and they will have to pay the bill within the due date.
If the merchant disagrees with the bank's decision, they can also appeal through arbitration. At this point, the card network, such as Rupay, Visa, Mastercard, Amex, etc, who issued customer’s credit card, will step in to decide the case. However, the losing party in arbitration will be charged some fees, and no further appeal will be accepted.

Credit cards offer many benefits, including the ability to file chargeback claims. Personally, I have filed three or four chargeback claims and won all of them. Unfortunately, many credit card users are not aware of these hidden benefits, which can be invaluable. Chargebacks have saved me many times and given us the power to avoid being harassed by merchants or companies.
Great post.Can you share more details on your chargeback claims too? So that we may learn

D7162

TF Ace
RML Group
VIP Lounge
Here is my Story. One of my friend used my HDFC card to book an apartment as rent in london. Amount was around 1.1 lakh. Later he found that he was cheated as the person who took money was not having any apartment, so he complained to police there, and shared complaint copy, whatsapp messages everything to me. I used HDFC chargeback and submitted all documents, HDFC immediately provided credit, and I received mail that i may have to provide more documents for my claim if being asked, but i never heard from them and i believe case was in my favour

We were able to recover money because we used credit card, if it was debit or some other means, we might have lost complete money

I've had icici charge back on an transaction of subscription that I've not set to auto subscribe, they did a charge back but also replace the card, I wish there was a way to do charge back without replacing the card

rajgopalsinghal

TF Premier
In 2014, I purchased a three-month gym membership for myself and a friend, which included personal training services. However, after one month, I didn't feel that the personal trainer was providing the expected individualized training. I raised my concern with the gym management and recorded the conversation for evidence. Subsequently, I initiated a transaction dispute with HSBC Bank, and the final decision ruled in my favor, resulting in the reimbursement of 40,000Rs.

bimanpaul

TF Select
VIP Lounge
I would like to share a story of my friend. Story is 2 years old and he is still fighting for resolution.

His SBI credit card was used fraudulently for 5 transactions amounting ~32K within a span of 10mins from Amazon. He received transaction SMS but not OTP. He repoted within 1 hr to SBI cards. He was advised to file FIR which he did the next day. When he checked with Amazon, amazon customer care confirmed that transactions from his card were indeed made from their portal but from different account.
With procedures followed and all points in his favor it appeared that dispute would be resolved in his favor but to his surprise, SBI card reponded saying the transactions were OTP authenticated hence, not resolved in his favor.

I have asked my friend to join here and discuss more. In the meantime, can anyone confirm or advise on this issue?

Last edited:

abhiver

TF Premier
How someone come to know that the temporary credit is permanent and do we need to make payment of the new payments done through the card even though in credit card bill it is showing no due at the moment because of temporary credit

VISHESH_BANSAL

TF Prestige
How someone come to know that the temporary credit is permanent
Temporary Credit Just reduce your Current Outstanding

Available limit remains same as before receiving Temporary Credit

If it becomes Permanent then Bank would increase the Available Limit by the extent of Temporary Credit Given
and do we need to make payment of the new payments done through the card even though in credit card bill it is showing no due at the moment because of temporary credit
Pay the Amount reflecting in
E-Statement as Total Due

Last edited:

rajgopalsinghal

TF Premier
I have another personal experience to share from four years ago.

During that time, my PayPal account was hacked by someone who used it to purchase a mobile phone worth 75,000 rupees from a Chinese website. This account was linked to my American Express (Amex) card. Soon after the unauthorized purchase, the hacker changed the email and password associated with my PayPal account. I immediately reached out to PayPal to report the incident, and they acted swiftly to restore my account access. Upon my request, PayPal provided me with the transaction details and the website information. I contacted the website and provided them with the transaction ID to request the cancellation of the order. I also contacted Amex to dispute the transaction. Amex promptly accepted my dispute, as the transaction had been completed without requiring an OTP (one-time password). Subsequently, the merchant confirmed that the order had been canceled and shared the details of the individual who had placed the order. It was discovered that this person was located in Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh, and the mobile number provided was a dummy address. It appeared that the user had some kind of connection with the delivery partner, who would deliver the item to them based on the mobile number provided.

pgarg24

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Does anyone know if it is possible to raise a fraud/dispute for a transaction that was done 50-60 days ago through credit card..? Does bank then does the above verification/validation and resolve disputes?