• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

ICICI Bank charged me annual fees on my credit card even after meeting reversal criteria

TechnoFino

Founder
TF Family
Founder
Admin
Hello everyone,

Today, I would like to share my ongoing dispute with ICICI Bank. In February 2023, they charged me 12,000+GST (annual fees) for my ICICI Emeralde credit card. However, in February 2022, ICICI Bank issued me a first-year free ICICI Emaralde credit card, and using that card, I spent more than Rs. 15,00,000 until February 2023. According to the MITC, ICICI Bank should provide me with a second-year annual fee waiver as I spent 15 lakhs in the last year. But to my surprise, they charged me Rs. 12,000+GST on 26th February 2023 as the second-year annual fee.

I immediately raised the issue with ICICI Bank, thinking that they might have charged me by mistake, or I would get a refund in the next statement. However, they replied that the annual charge posted on my card was valid, and if I spent Rs. 15,00,000 within the next one year (February 2023 to February 2024), then the annual charges would be refunded. I was surprised to know this kind of rule because no bank charges annual fees in advance.
Therefore, I decided to check their MITC and, as expected, found the reversal criteria:
"If total spends on the Credit Card is equal to or more than this amount during an anniversary year, the Annual Fee applicable on the Credit Card for the subsequent year shall be reversed. If total spends on the Credit Card is less than this amount during an anniversary year, the Annual Fee applicable on the Credit Card for the subsequent year shall not be reversed. Spends through EMI transactions on Credit Card are not included in total spends calculation."
*This amount = Rs. 15,00,000

Screenshot 2023-04-21 at 8.46.40 PM.png
*MITC Link- https://www.icicibank.com/ms/Person...alde-credit-card/images/pdf/MITC-Emeralde.pdf [ICICI Bank might change the MITC, so attaching the current MITC here as PDF]

This means that if I spent 15 lakhs in the last year, my next year's annual fees would be reversed. So I sent this to ICICI Bank again and requested a refund of the charges. However, they denied my request. Therefore, on 6th April 2023, I filed a complaint with the RBI Banking Ombudsman.

Today, on 21st April 2023, ICICI Bank replied with the same copy-pasted email, which I am attaching the screenshot of here:

Screenshot_20230421_205005_Gmail-2.jpg

I am really confused about what to tell them. Are they not aware of their own MITC? Their reply itself has the MITC attached. Therefore, I replied to ICICI Bank to check the MITC wording again and reply to the RBI. Let's see what happens and what the RBI thinks about the issue. I will post an update here. If the RBI does not help me in this case, I will definitely file a complaint in the consumer court.

Cheers ✌️
Sumanta Mandal

Update: (25/04/2023)

The complaint was closed by the RBI Banking Ombudsman under clause 16(2)(a), and I'm left wondering if the officers thoroughly reviewed all the documents submitted. I had provided a copy of the MITC, which is the primary evidence against ICICI Bank, yet the RBI rejected my claim. It appears that the RBI Banking Ombudsman frequently closes cases under clause 16, without granting customers the opportunity to appeal.

Email Screenshot:
Screenshot_20230425_163624_Gmail.jpg

Update (25/04/2023):
I've filed complaint against the RBI on PG Portal for closing my ombudsman complaint without listening to me and not checking the submitted proofs properly.
Screenshot 2023-04-25 at 8.48.06 PM.png

Update on 27th June:
As you are aware, I filed a complaint on the PG portal against the RBI regarding the closure of my case against ICICI Bank without carefully considering my side or thoroughly reviewing all the documents. On June 1, 2023, the RBI responded stating that the ombudsman case number "N202324005000288" is still under process and that they will inform me of the final decision soon.

Screenshot 2023-06-27 at 10.59.30 PM.png

However, upon checking my pending cases with the RBI banking ombudsman, I discovered that the case "N202324005000288" had already been closed.

Screenshot 2023-06-27 at 10.57.37 PM.png

Consequently, on June 2, I filed an appeal, but received the same response from the RBI, stating that case number "N202324005000288" is still under process.
It appears that government departments like the RBI, PG Portal are not meticulously reviewing documents and customer inputs; instead, they seem to be relying on copy-pasted replies from larger organizations.
It now seems that I must seek justice through the consumer court. I am determined to file a consumer court complaint against ICICI Bank. However, I am genuinely surprised by the RBI's responses. Do they truly not review all the documents before making a decision? If this is their modus operandi, how can an ordinary person effectively fight against a bank for their mistakes?

Update: (22 November, 2023)
Today, I filed a case against ICICI Bank at my district consumer court. I have submitted all the PDF copy of all email communications, the old MITC of ICICI Emeralde credit card, and the new MITC of ICICI Bank credit cards (where they have removed the term "subsequent year") dated 2nd November 2023, via an advocate. I have claimed almost 2 Lakhs as compensation and fees reversal.
One interesting thing I noticed is that ICICI Bank literally changed their MITC terms for 3 credit cards (Emeralde Private Metal, Emeralde Private & Emeralde Card) recently after I escalated this matter to ICICI bank officials and RBI.

New MITC terms:
Screenshot 2023-11-22 at 7.55.41 PM.png

In both cases, they rejected my request. But if they were correct, then why did they change their fees reversal terms on the MITC PDF? Isn't it funny? 😄
I'll keep you guys posted here.

Attachments

• https:www.icicibank.com:ms:Personal-Banking:cards:consumer-cards:credit-card:emeralde-credit-c...pdf
    233.2 KB · Views: 108
  • mitc_cc ICICI 2nd nov 2023.pdf
    719.4 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

jack333

TF Legend
Contributor
VIP Lounge
Its clearly written subsequent year in their MITC but they are considering the same year. They are either unaware of this or are trying to be clever. Anyways you are right. If RBI takes their side you will easily win at consumer court. ✌️
Just wanted to ask why did you you spend 15l on Emeralde? Is the reward rate good enough?

Nitish21

TF Neo
Same is the case with me.I am also fighting a case against axis bank price protection policy on magnus credit card. They denied mine insurance claim.
Offer is written on their website but they are saying that axis provides no such offer.

anirban.choudhury

TF Legend
TF Family
VIP Lounge
But his card was FYF i think. So according to icici, no benefit of spending in the first year
Seems like they did some changes to this
Basically they are charging advance fees , and waiving it off next year on usage .
So if someone takes FYF , then even if you spend 15 lakhs or more in card the fees will not get waived off as the 1st year fees were never taken

saiki4116

TF Select
VIP Lounge
Hello everyone,

Today, I would like to share my ongoing dispute with ICICI Bank. In February 2023, they charged me 12,000+GST (annual fees) for my ICICI Emeralde credit card. However, in February 2022, ICICI Bank issued me a first-year free ICICI Emaralde credit card, and using that card, I spent more than Rs. 15,00,000 until February 2023. According to the MITC, ICICI Bank should provide me with a second-year annual fee waiver as I spent 15 lakhs in the last year. But to my surprise, they charged me Rs. 12,000+GST on 26th February 2023 as the second-year annual fee.

I immediately raised the issue with ICICI Bank, thinking that they might have charged me by mistake, or I would get a refund in the next statement. However, they replied that the annual charge posted on my card was valid, and if I spent Rs. 15,00,000 within the next one year (February 2023 to February 2024), then the 15 lakhs charges would be refunded. I was surprised to know this kind of rule because no bank charges annual fees in advance.
Therefore, I decided to check their MITC and, as expected, found the reversal criteria:
"If total spends on the Credit Card is equal to or more than this amount during an anniversary year, the Annual Fee applicable on the Credit Card for the subsequent year shall be reversed. If total spends on the Credit Card is less than this amount during an anniversary year, the Annual Fee applicable on the Credit Card for the subsequent year shall not be reversed. Spends through EMI transactions on Credit Card are not included in total spends calculation."

*MITC Link- https://www.icicibank.com/ms/Person...alde-credit-card/images/pdf/MITC-Emeralde.pdf [ICICI Bank might change the MITC, so attaching the current MITC here as PDF]

This means that if I spent 15 lakhs in the last year, my next year's annual fees would be reversed. So I sent this to ICICI Bank again and requested a refund of the charges. However, they denied my request. Therefore, on 6th April 2023, I filed a complaint with the RBI Banking Ombudsman.

Today, on 21st April 2023, ICICI Bank replied with the same copy-pasted email, which I am attaching the screenshot of here:

I am really confused about what to tell them. Are they not aware of their own MITC? Their reply itself has the MITC attached. Therefore, I replied to ICICI Bank to check the MITC wording again and reply to the RBI. Let's see what happens and what the RBI thinks about the issue. I will post an update here. If the RBI does not help me in this case, I will definitely file a complaint in the consumer court.

Cheers ✌️
Sumanta Mandal
I have raised a ticket with RBI regarding Personal Lian CIBIL enquiry for Credit Card Application, they came up with non sensical Roy like this and closed the ticket. I have raised the ticket again, then they removed the Personal loan CIBIL enquiry.

Pradeepbansal

TF Select
VIP Lounge
According to me, sumanta is right in this case. @TechnoFino you should try to ask the RBI ombudsman for a conciliation meeting in the case. This meeting can be held in person or virtually too. If the RBI ombudsman denies the conciliation meeting and the resolution is not provided by the RBI ombudsman, you can appeal against the decision of the RBI Ombudsman. The appeal is to be filed online or through mail and the Apellate authority is the ED of RBI administering the ombudsman scheme of RBI at the time.

Hope this helps, and dont forget to ask for compensation for mental harrasment in any case as this is your right. 😉

dheerajkr

TF Buzz
Hello everyone,

I immediately raised the issue with ICICI Bank, thinking that they might have charged me by mistake, or I would get a refund in the next statement. However, they replied that the annual charge posted on my card was valid, and if I spent Rs. 15,00,000 within the next one year (February 2023 to February 2024), then the 15 lakhs charges would be refunded. I was surprised to know this kind of rule because no bank charges annual fees in advance.

Cheers ✌️
Sumanta Mandal
Plz keep a check, icici pvt data has been leaked today in the evening, keep a track on all yr data, check YouTube video
This is a serious issue.. Plz keep a track on yr savings credit mutual Insurance, al data

technom

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Hello everyone,

Cheers ✌️
Sumanta Mandal
I'm cancelling my Emaralde card if this is the case. Thankfully still within the 30 days and yet to use the card. I'll try to point them to this conversation but doubt if customer care people care enough !

sxchzy

TF Legend
VIP Lounge
Hello everyone,

Cheers ✌️
Sumanta Mandal
I guess since the first year card was free the fee waiver benefit was not applied.So maybe if you spend 15L this year they might reverse the annual fees.

jack333

TF Legend
Contributor
VIP Lounge
What he is saying is that none other bank calculates or maybe tricks us like this. Even their MITC says subsequent year and they are calculating for same year. So this is wrong. Definitely need to fight this out. Maybe mail to governor@rbi.org.in

Harry1

TF Legend
VIP Lounge
I had similar issue with Axis privilege card. They charged me 1500+gst despite meeting 2.5L spends criterion and didn't even gave 3k bonus points.

After 3 months of follow up, they finally reversed it after involving rbi ombudsman.

Last edited:

akshayhs

TF Ace
According to me, sumanta is right in this case. @TechnoFino you should try to ask the RBI ombudsman for a conciliation meeting in the case. This meeting can be held in person or virtually too. If the RBI ombudsman denies the conciliation meeting and the resolution is not provided by the RBI ombudsman, you can appeal against the decision of the RBI Ombudsman. The appeal is to be filed online or through mail and the Apellate authority is the ED of RBI administering the ombudsman scheme of RBI at the time.

Hope this helps, and dont forget to ask for compensation for mental harrasment in any case as this is your right. 😉
This is a really good reply and everyone should save it for furture reference.