• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

ICICI Bank charged me annual fees on my credit card even after meeting reversal criteria

saucy

TF Ace
How do you spend so much dada :D
That too on emeralde, which is one of the worst cards in terms of rewards
Yes. This i want to know as well. How are the super premium cardholders able to spend so much on very low rewarding cards

romilq

TF Ace
Just an example except HDFC bank no other bank gives you option to waive off your joining fees
They only give option to waive off next year annual fees
No matter how much you spend on first year they will not reverse your joining fees
ICICI in a way is giving option to waive off your joining fees as well .

I am not saying they did correct , obviously whatever is written on MITC needs to be followed
Not true I think. I took paid Flipkart Axis card with both joining and annual fees. Got 500 FK voucher against the joining fee. Called 6 months later to cancel the card and they said they will reverse the joining fee along with GST if I decided to keep the card. Annual fee was not going to be charged anyways since 2 lakhs spend criteria was fulfilled and only 6 months had passed. I took the offer of joining fee reversal and have kept the card.

anirban.choudhury

TF Legend
TF Family
VIP Lounge
Not true I think. I took paid Flipkart Axis card with both joining and annual fees. Got 500 FK voucher against the joining fee. Called 6 months later to cancel the card and they said they will reverse the joining fee along with GST if I decided to keep the card. Annual fee was not going to be charged anyways since 2 lakhs spend criteria was fulfilled and only 6 months had passed. I took the offer of joining fee reversal and have kept the card.
See vouchers are generally given with JOining fees , but complete reversals are generally not given on JF , what you got was a retention bonus and it’s not default though.
What I meant was that there are hardly any cards which gives spend based JF waiver except HDFC ones for other cards it’s generally some voucher or points and annual fee waiver starts from second year onwards , take for example Axis Magnus or reserve , there is no way to get JF waiver , same with Kotak cards same with RBL , Stanc , etc etc

romilq

TF Ace
See vouchers are generally given with JOining fees , but complete reversals are generally not given on JF , what you got was a retention bonus and it’s not default though.
What I meant was that there are hardly any cards which gives spend based JF waiver except HDFC ones for other cards it’s generally some voucher or points and annual fee waiver starts from second year onwards , take for example Axis Magnus or reserve , there is no way to get JF waiver , same with Kotak cards same with RBL , Stanc , etc etc
Got it. I misunderstood what you were trying to say.

Sanskar

TF Select
VIP Lounge
Hello everyone,

Today, I would like to share my ongoing dispute with ICICI Bank. In February 2023, they charged me 12,000+GST (annual fees) for my ICICI Emeralde credit card. However, in February 2022, ICICI Bank issued me a first-year free ICICI Emaralde credit card, and using that card, I spent more than Rs. 15,00,000 until February 2023. According to the MITC, ICICI Bank should provide me with a second-year annual fee waiver as I spent 15 lakhs in the last year. But to my surprise, they charged me Rs. 12,000+GST on 26th February 2023 as the second-year annual fee.

I immediately raised the issue with ICICI Bank, thinking that they might have charged me by mistake, or I would get a refund in the next statement. However, they replied that the annual charge posted on my card was valid, and if I spent Rs. 15,00,000 within the next one year (February 2023 to February 2024), then the 15 lakhs charges would be refunded. I was surprised to know this kind of rule because no bank charges annual fees in advance.
Therefore, I decided to check their MITC and, as expected, found the reversal criteria:
"If total spends on the Credit Card is equal to or more than this amount during an anniversary year, the Annual Fee applicable on the Credit Card for the subsequent year shall be reversed. If total spends on the Credit Card is less than this amount during an anniversary year, the Annual Fee applicable on the Credit Card for the subsequent year shall not be reversed. Spends through EMI transactions on Credit Card are not included in total spends calculation."
*This amount = Rs. 15,00,000

Screenshot 2023-04-21 at 8.46.40 PM.png
*MITC Link- https://www.icicibank.com/ms/Person...alde-credit-card/images/pdf/MITC-Emeralde.pdf [ICICI Bank might change the MITC, so attaching the current MITC here as PDF]

This means that if I spent 15 lakhs in the last year, my next year's annual fees would be reversed. So I sent this to ICICI Bank again and requested a refund of the charges. However, they denied my request. Therefore, on 6th April 2023, I filed a complaint with the RBI Banking Ombudsman.

Today, on 21st April 2023, ICICI Bank replied with the same copy-pasted email, which I am attaching the screenshot of here:

Screenshot_20230421_205005_Gmail-2.jpg

I am really confused about what to tell them. Are they not aware of their own MITC? Their reply itself has the MITC attached. Therefore, I replied to ICICI Bank to check the MITC wording again and reply to the RBI. Let's see what happens and what the RBI thinks about the issue. I will post an update here. If the RBI does not help me in this case, I will definitely file a complaint in the consumer court.

Cheers ✌️
Sumanta Mandal

Update: (25/04/2023)

The complaint was closed by the RBI Banking Ombudsman under clause 16(2)(a), and I'm left wondering if the officers thoroughly reviewed all the documents submitted. I had provided a copy of the MITC, which is the primary evidence against ICICI Bank, yet the RBI rejected my claim. It appears that the RBI Banking Ombudsman frequently closes cases under clause 16, without granting customers the opportunity to appeal.

Email Screenshot:
Screenshot_20230425_163624_Gmail.jpg

Update (25/04/2023):
I've filed complaint against the RBI on PG Portal for closing my ombudsman complaint without listening to me and not checking the submitted proofs properly.
Screenshot 2023-04-25 at 8.48.06 PM.png
What is PG Portal?

Hello everyone,

Today, I would like to share my ongoing dispute with ICICI Bank. In February 2023, they charged me 12,000+GST (annual fees) for my ICICI Emeralde credit card. However, in February 2022, ICICI Bank issued me a first-year free ICICI Emaralde credit card, and using that card, I spent more than Rs. 15,00,000 until February 2023. According to the MITC, ICICI Bank should provide me with a second-year annual fee waiver as I spent 15 lakhs in the last year. But to my surprise, they charged me Rs. 12,000+GST on 26th February 2023 as the second-year annual fee.

I immediately raised the issue with ICICI Bank, thinking that they might have charged me by mistake, or I would get a refund in the next statement. However, they replied that the annual charge posted on my card was valid, and if I spent Rs. 15,00,000 within the next one year (February 2023 to February 2024), then the 15 lakhs charges would be refunded. I was surprised to know this kind of rule because no bank charges annual fees in advance.
Therefore, I decided to check their MITC and, as expected, found the reversal criteria:
"If total spends on the Credit Card is equal to or more than this amount during an anniversary year, the Annual Fee applicable on the Credit Card for the subsequent year shall be reversed. If total spends on the Credit Card is less than this amount during an anniversary year, the Annual Fee applicable on the Credit Card for the subsequent year shall not be reversed. Spends through EMI transactions on Credit Card are not included in total spends calculation."

*MITC Link- https://www.icicibank.com/ms/Person...alde-credit-card/images/pdf/MITC-Emeralde.pdf [ICICI Bank might change the MITC, so attaching the current MITC here as PDF]

This means that if I spent 15 lakhs in the last year, my next year's annual fees would be reversed. So I sent this to ICICI Bank again and requested a refund of the charges. However, they denied my request. Therefore, on 6th April 2023, I filed a complaint with the RBI Banking Ombudsman.

Today, on 21st April 2023, ICICI Bank replied with the same copy-pasted email, which I am attaching the screenshot of here:

I am really confused about what to tell them. Are they not aware of their own MITC? Their reply itself has the MITC attached. Therefore, I replied to ICICI Bank to check the MITC wording again and reply to the RBI. Let's see what happens and what the RBI thinks about the issue. I will post an update here. If the RBI does not help me in this case, I will definitely file a complaint in the consumer court.

Cheers ✌️
Sumanta Mandal

The complaint was closed by the RBI Banking Ombudsman under clause 16(2)(a), and I'm left wondering if the officers thoroughly reviewed all the documents submitted. I had provided a copy of the MITC, which is the primary evidence against ICICI Bank, yet the RBI rejected my claim. It appears that the RBI Banking Ombudsman frequently closes cases under clause 16, without granting customers the opportunity to appeal.

Email Screenshot:

Update (25/04/2023):
I've filed complaint against the RBI on PG Portal for closing my ombudsman complaint without listening to me and not checking the submitted proofs properly.
This is the same thing axis does isn't.? They charge as soon as you get the card and then reverse later.

anirban.choudhury

TF Legend
TF Family
VIP Lounge
So then by that logic you mean ICICI is acting correctly here? Since card was issued FYF, no fees were charged and hence nothing to waive off?
Yes , but then if they are following this process which seems fine to me , the same has to be updated in MITC document otherwise the consumer won’t be aware of this

kilroy

TF Buzz
Yes , but then if they are following this process which seems fine to me , the same has to be updated in MITC document otherwise the consumer won’t be aware of this
Yea, I was thinking the same, which seems like a reasonable behaviour.

ICICI bank obviously needs to update their MITC if they follow this method.

ltf4ever

TF Ace
Hello everyone,

Cheers ✌️
Sumanta Mandal

Email Screenshot:

Update (25/04/2023):

PNO jab 'ticket closed' dikhaye
to RBI usse open karwaye
RBI jo 'ticket closed' dikhaye
usse kaun bachaye
#clause16

images (3) (29).jpeg

Last edited:

Riva

TF Premier
Hello everyone,

Cheers ✌️
Sumanta Mandal

Email Screenshot:

Update (25/04/2023):
I've filed complaint against the RBI on PG Portal for closing my ombudsman complaint wi

Hello everyone,

Cheers ✌️
Sumanta Mandal

Email Screenshot:

Update (25/04/2023):
Do you know on what date in Feb'22 was the card set up? Anniversary year is defined as 12 months from card setup date. Now if you took the card before 26th Feb 22, then technically 26th Feb23 becomes subsequent year.

Am wondering if this is what ICICI is betting on and hence so confident.

Riva

TF Premier
One more thing to note is that the MITC does not state WHEN will the annual fees be applied (at start of next anniversary year or end). It just says it will be reversed which according to ICICI they have agreed to do. They have also not mention that if it's charged at the start of the anniversary year, will the reversal be with interest.

All these are grey area points and need to be updated in the MITC if they are going to charge at the start of the year.

Avishma1

TF Select
Hello everyone,

I immediately raised the issue with ICICI Bank, thinking that they might have charged me by mistake, or I would get a refund in the next statement. However, they replied that the annual charge posted on my card was valid, and if I spent Rs. 15,00,000 within the next one year (February 2023 to February 2024), then the annual charges would be refunded. I was surprised to know this kind of rule because no bank charges annual fees in advance.

Cheers ✌️
Sumanta Mandal

Email Screenshot:

Update (25/04/2023):

Update on 27th June:
As you are aware, I filed a complaint on the PG portal against the RBI regarding the closure of my case against ICICI Bank without carefully considering my side or thoroughly reviewing all the documents. On June 1, 2023, the RBI responded stating that the ombudsman case number "N202324005000288" is still under process and that they will inform me of the final decision soon.

Screenshot 2023-06-27 at 10.59.30 PM.png

However, upon checking my pending cases with the RBI banking ombudsman, I discovered that the case "N202324005000288" had already been closed.

Screenshot 2023-06-27 at 10.57.37 PM.png

Consequently, on June 2, I filed an appeal, but received the same response from the RBI, stating that case number "N202324005000288" is still under process.
It appears that government departments like the RBI, PG Portal are not meticulously reviewing documents and customer inputs; instead, they seem to be relying on copy-pasted replies from larger organizations.
It now seems that I must seek justice through the consumer court. I am determined to file a consumer court complaint against ICICI Bank. However, I am genuinely surprised by the RBI's responses. Do they truly not review all the documents before making a decision? If this is their modus operandi, how can an ordinary person effectively fight against a bank for their mistakes?
Similar thing happened with me as well when I disputed a charge of rs. 4575 from Flipkart with Indusind bank. They first confirmed the case is closed and the provisional credit offered to me is permanent but after 1 year they applied the charge back stating flipkart has redisputed the charge and provided proof of purchase which did not belong to the disputed transaction though. I filed complaint with RBI but received the same reply from RBI. I've asked the bank to reach out to flipkart again since the proof does not mention order Id or transaction ID. They bank said they will attempt to contact flipkart again as good faith attempt but there is no fixed timeframe. Almost 2 years have passed but the case is still not resolved

ltf4ever

TF Ace
Similar thing happened with me as well when I disputed a charge of rs. 4575 from Flipkart with Indusind bank. They first confirmed the case is closed and the provisional credit offered to me is permanent but after 1 year they applied the charge back stating flipkart has redisputed the charge and provided proof of purchase which did not belong to the disputed transaction though. I filed complaint with RBI but received the same reply from RBI. I've asked the bank to reach out to flipkart again since the proof does not mention order Id or transaction ID. They bank said they will attempt to contact flipkart again as good faith attempt but there is no fixed timeframe. Almost 2 years have passed but the case is still not resolved
Flipkart has done same thing with my friend for quite a large amount. Bank has given him provisional credit, but I will ask him to be on the lookout.

ltf4ever

TF Ace
did you file complaint with consumer forum against Flipkart?

invisiblespace

TF Select
I have received email from RBI OMBUDSMAN (SBI reply for my complaint) so i have replied to same email along with credit report

Is it ok ? or any way to reply from portal ? Experts opinion needed (first complaint with ombudsman)

TechnoFino

Founder
TF Family
Founder
Admin
Update:
Today, I filed a case against ICICI Bank at my district consumer court. I have submitted all the PDF copy of all email communications, the old MITC of ICICI Emeralde credit card, and the new MITC of ICICI Bank credit cards (where they have removed the term "subsequent year") dated 2nd November 2023, via an advocate. I have claimed almost 2 Lakhs as compensation and fees reversal.
One interesting thing I noticed is that ICICI Bank literally changed their MITC terms for 3 credit cards (Emeralde Private Metal, Emeralde Private & Emeralde Card) recently after I escalated this matter to ICICI bank officials and RBI.

New MITC terms:
Screenshot 2023-11-22 at 7.55.41 PM.png

Old Emeralde Card MITC terms was:

In both cases, they rejected my request. But if they were correct, then why did they change their fees reversal terms on the MITC PDF? Isn't it funny? 😄
I'll keep you guys posted here.