• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

ICICI Bank charged me annual fees on my credit card even after meeting reversal criteria

TechnoFino

Founder
TF Family
Founder
Admin
According to me, sumanta is right in this case. @TechnoFino you should try to ask the RBI ombudsman for a conciliation meeting in the case. This meeting can be held in person or virtually too. If the RBI ombudsman denies the conciliation meeting and the resolution is not provided by the RBI ombudsman, you can appeal against the decision of the RBI Ombudsman. The appeal is to be filed online or through mail and the Apellate authority is the ED of RBI administering the ombudsman scheme of RBI at the time.

Hope this helps, and dont forget to ask for compensation for mental harrasment in any case as this is your right. 😉
can you please help me with the steps of asking for conciliation meeting. I'll definitely appeal if RBI ombudsmen reject my claim first time.

Pradeepbansal

TF Select
VIP Lounge
can you please help me with the steps of asking for conciliation meeting. I'll definitely appeal if RBI ombudsmen reject my claim first time.
can u tell at what stage the complaint is right now? did you receive any communication from RBI ombudsman office?

TechnoFino

Founder
TF Family
Founder
Admin
can u tell at what stage the complaint is right now? did you receive any communication from RBI ombudsman office?
No communication from the RBI, I have filed complaint -> the complaint was forwarded to ICICI Bank -> ICICI Bank responded me and told me, they have submitted their response to the RBI yesterday.

Pradeepbansal

TF Select
VIP Lounge
No communication from the RBI, I have filed complaint -> the complaint was forwarded to ICICI Bank -> ICICI Bank responded me and told me, they have submitted their response to the RBI yesterday.
ok. Now wait for rbi to send you any communication regarding this. when they send any communication, you reply that you have heard to what the bank wants to say but you do not agree with the bank's stance in this case. then you explain why you are right and bank is wrong. after that you ask to have a conciliation meeting with bank in presence of RBI ombudsman to resolve the matter. Here, you can ask for virtual meeting also. Also, ask for compensation for the time taken to resolve the complaint and for the mental harrasment/agony.

All this should be sent in a single reply to the communication received from RBI along with proper documentary proof, such as MITC highlighting the point of renewal fees, proof of fees charged on statement and any other evidence found necessary to share for the proper resolution of the case.

Keep us posted of the further developments in the matter.

TechnoFino

Founder
TF Family
Founder
Admin
ok. Now wait for rbi to send you any communication regarding this. when they send any communication, you reply that you have heard to what the bank wants to say but you do not agree with the bank's stance in this case. then you explain why you are right and bank is wrong. after that you ask to have a conciliation meeting with bank in presence of RBI ombudsman to resolve the matter. Here, you can ask for virtual meeting also. Also, ask for compensation for the time taken to resolve the complaint and for the mental harrasment/agony.

All this should be sent in a single reply to the communication received from RBI along with proper documentary proof, such as MITC highlighting the point of renewal fees, proof of fees charged on statement and any other evidence found necessary to share for the proper resolution of the case.

Keep us posted of the further developments in the matter.
I'll post as soon as I get response from the RBI.

thanix

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
I had always this confusion about joining fee and annual fee of these cards. I thought joining fee is a one time fee at the time of joining. It is either charged or waived off during joining.

Now, Annual fee is charged for that year of card taking. They can charge it or waive it As FYF without any obligation or reverse it after achieving spend target. Some cards are clear that it is from second year onwards when they tell FYF, essentially waived off. And clear about waiver for second year based on first year end.

Our card companies confused all of these terms and conditions when customer care interpret these. In this case, the MITC is crystal clear that second year onwards annual fee is waived based on first year spend. So this is right track to win against the bank.

mrbanker

TF Select
I am also facing difficulties with ICICI in recent times. Had a privilege relationship with them and my account was linked under the family program. The family head's account got upgraded to Wealth around 6 months back but my account stayed on privilege instead of upgradation to wealth. Pointed this issue to the RM a few days back and guess what, they downgraded my account to the regular variant!! Never expected these kind of silly issues arising with ICICI. Their tech is playing a bad game with the customers in recent times. Hope you get them to acknowledge their mistake because in my case they are not ready to budge!

ltf4ever

TF Ace
I had always this confusion about joining fee and annual fee of these cards. I thought joining fee is a one time fee at the time of joining. It is either charged or waived off during joining.

Now, Annual fee is charged for that year of card taking. They can charge it or waive it As FYF without any obligation or reverse it after achieving spend target. Some cards are clear that it is from second year onwards when they tell FYF, essentially waived off. And clear about waiver for second year based on first year end.

Our card companies confused all of these terms and conditions when customer care interpret these. In this case, the MITC is crystal clear that second year onwards annual fee is waived based on first year spend. So this is right track to win against the bank.
#ltf4ever

kilroy

TF Buzz
ICICI bank seems at fault definitely considering the wording in their MITC. However, I find this a little wierd to be honest.

I mean the annual fees for a credit card is charged upfront at the start of the anniversary year. Then based on their TnC & spend milestone, they should reverse that fee.

It's quite wierd that they would consider spends in past year, to waive of fees of next year!

anirban.choudhury

TF Legend
TF Family
VIP Lounge
ICICI bank seems at fault definitely considering the wording in their MITC. However, I find this a little wierd to be honest.

I mean the annual fees for a credit card is charged upfront at the start of the anniversary year. Then based on their TnC & spend milestone, they should reverse that fee.

It's quite wierd that they would consider spends in past year, to waive of fees of next year!
They are considering spend of last year to waive off fees for last year

anirban.choudhury

TF Legend
TF Family
VIP Lounge
Just an example except HDFC bank no other bank gives you option to waive off your joining fees
They only give option to waive off next year annual fees
No matter how much you spend on first year they will not reverse your joining fees
ICICI in a way is giving option to waive off your joining fees as well .

I am not saying they did correct , obviously whatever is written on MITC needs to be followed