• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

How to file a complaint against a bank on the RBI banking ombudsman portal

TechnoFino

Founder
TF Family
Founder
Admin
If you want to file a complaint against any bank, follow those steps.
Remember one thing, file a complaint with your bank first, then wait 30 days for resolution. If your bank doesn't solve your problem within 30 days, you can move to the RBI banking ombudsman. If you don't get any satisfactory resolution from your bank, you can also move to the RBI banking ombudsman before completing 30 days.

How to file a complaint against a bank on the RBI banking ombudsman portal:-

Visit RBI Banking Ombudsman Portal- https://rbi.org.in/Scripts/Complaints.aspx
Click on "Click here to file a complaint against any Regulated Entity (banks, NBFCs, System Participants)"

Screenshot 2022-09-25 at 2.12.38 PM.png
On the next page, click on "File a Complaint"
On the next page, enter captcha and click on "Next"
Now, you have to enter your name and mobile number & click on "Get OTP"

Screenshot 2022-09-25 at 1.22.47 PM.png

Enter OTP and click on Validate.
On the next page, enter your details

Screenshot 2022-09-25 at 1.24.53 PM.png

And enter bank details

Screenshot 2022-09-25 at 1.25.40 PM.png

Now, on the next page enter details of the complaint you've filed with your bank, upload PDF copy of the email communication.

Screenshot 2022-09-25 at 1.50.13 PM.png

Now, enter your complaint details, describe your problem in details
If you wants to claim any compensation (You can ask for maximum 1L as compensation), enter that on this page

Screenshot 2022-09-25 at 1.50.54 PM.png

Then click on "Review and Submit "
On the next page, very all the details and click on "Submit"

Screenshot 2022-09-25 at 1.51.10 PM.png

Done! you'll see successful message along with your complaint number. You can use the number to track your complaint status.
You'll also reserve a SMS after successful submission.

sms conf rbi.jpeg

If you want to track your complaint status, visit this page - https://cms.rbi.org.in/rbi/vividflow/run/trackapplicationcomplain?language=Auto

Attachments

• sms conf rbi.jpeg
    sms conf rbi.jpeg
    33.6 KB · Views: 244
  • Screenshot 2022-09-25 at 1.51.10 PM.png
    Screenshot 2022-09-25 at 1.51.10 PM.png
    997.4 KB · Views: 287

Harry1

TF Legend
VIP Lounge
Shall I file complaint against BOB for not changing my bill date since 3 months? Keep saying we are working towards making it possible.
I don't want my card account to be closed due to this complaint 😅.

alphadark7

TF Premier
TF Family
VIP Lounge
I asked BOB to upgrade to LTF Eterna and they said they cannot and I asked a question but instead of answering they upgraded to paid Eterna without asking whether they should

When asked, they said they checked with ZRO and hence upgraded
I agreed because ZRO said over the call (non-recorded) that I should request them next year to convert it into LTF

But when asked over the email they denied and hence I've asked them to either get me LTF or downgrade it to Premier which I was already holding

Should I move to RBI Ombudman or should I wait for them to revert and finalise this?

And if I want LTF Eterna, should I close my card and apply for it again as they give LTF Eterna only to new applicants.

Pradeepbansal

TF Select
VIP Lounge
Whenever a complaint is registered with RBI Ombudsman and if ombudsman proceeds to reolve the complaint, they will ask the bank to submit bank's response in writing along with documents supporting it. After receiving bank's reply, ombudsman can ask you to submit your counter reply with supporting documents. After receiving both submissions in detail, ombudsman will take a decision whatever they deem fit.

But no ombudsman can ask a bank to give LTF card to anybody. Because it is a commercial decision of bank. At the max. Ombudsman can ask bank to waiver 1 year annual fees if it feels that the charges are wrongly levied.

alphadark7

TF Premier
TF Family
VIP Lounge
Whenever a complaint is registered with RBI Ombudsman and if ombudsman proceeds to reolve the complaint, they will ask the bank to submit bank's response in writing along with documents supporting it. After receiving bank's reply, ombudsman can ask you to submit your counter reply with supporting documents. After receiving both submissions in detail, ombudsman will take a decision whatever they deem fit.

But no ombudsman can ask a bank to give LTF card to anybody. Because it is a commercial decision of bank. At the max. Ombudsman can ask bank to waiver 1 year annual fees if it feels that the charges are wrongly levied.
I understand the point, but my point here is that the bank upgraded the card without approval. In that case, it should be unsolicited upgradation.

What will happen in this case?

Pradeepbansal

TF Select
VIP Lounge
I understand the point, but my point here is that the bank upgraded the card without approval. In that case, it should be unsolicited upgradation.

What will happen in this case

What will happen in this case?
In your case, only 1 thing can happen from ombudsman point of view. Ombudsman will ask bank to downgrade the card again and reverse the fees. Thats it. They will not go further into the matters like whether u shud get LTF or not. When the bank has done a mistake by wrongly upgrading your card, ombudsman will try to reverse that mistake. If u have incurred any real monetary loss, you can ask for compensation towards it. I do not think your case to go beyond that.

This is my personal opinion and experience but i am not an ombudsman and can never know for sure what exactly will happen and how it will work out.

Pradeepbansal

TF Select
VIP Lounge
- 30 normal days or 30 working days to wait before raising complaint?
- also, do we need to send this complaint number to bank just to inform them "I filed a complaint against you" to get their attention?
- what are some possible cases that comes to raise a complaint? anything related to credit card - be it charges, rewards, support, offer fulfillment, billing issues etc. or any exceptions?
30 normal days

You do not need to send this complaint anywhere. Just wait for any queries or mail/communication from ombudsman. But while your complaint is in process, if bank tries to approach you to negotiate or work out a middle path, you should do it. Because maybe ombudsman wud have asked the bank to try to amicably resolve the issue. In that case, if the ombudsman thinks what the bank has offered is right and fair, they may close your complaint in favor of the bank. Then you may loose the chance to negotiate with the bank.

Possible cases which come to complaint range from frauds to everythng u mentioned. No exceptions. If there is any exception, you will get to know about it in writing from the ombudsman. Although, there is banking ombudmsan scheme available on RBI website if you want to read and get better idea for yourself and maybe others.

If you have a complaint in mind, first approach the bank. If not resolved, approach the ombudsman after 30 days.

Attachments

• RBIOS2021_amendments05082022.pdf
    192.6 KB · Views: 66

Pradeepbansal

TF Select
VIP Lounge
How to raise a general complaint against a bank that is not related to a disputed transaction. This portal asks for the date of the disputed transaction
Select the subject of the complaint properly while filing complaint and if u still cannot find the subject u want then file it in others category.

Pradeepbansal

TF Select
VIP Lounge
@Pradeepbansal
1664886083899.png

What is the (ii) means?

Also, can we file a complaint related to multiple enquiries for single application (requested for removal but the bank not agreeing for removal or provide justification for doing the same)?
Point ii means basically that every complaint should be made to ombudsman within 1 year of approaching the bank with the same complaint.

Yes, you can complaint against multiples enquiries but provide proper proof of it to ombudsman otherwise bank will not accept their mistake