• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Having a powerful Lounge access pass indirectly makes international flights far cheaper. Hear me out.

SmartyAadi

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Sharing this for the benefit of those who love to travel.

If you’re into international trips a lot, have family traveling with you, or a combination of both, I would highly recommend going for those credit cards, even if annually paid, that have very good lounge access internationally- given that you are eligible for it. Or work towards it.

I hold an HDFC Infinia and it undoubtedly has a powerful Priority pass. I’ve used it for me and my family in some 8 lounges across 5 countries ever since I got it. Made maximum use of it already for the tickets through smartbuy but the lounge access too was used well to save more ₹₹₹.

Of late, lounges have been getting a bad rep for being way too crowded. But in my experience I’ve only encountered that 1 or max 2 in 10 times. Has been wonderful all through. And that was before many cards started restricting and clamping down on lounge benefits.

Ok so here’s coming to the point.

How does one save on international flights when you’ve got great lounge access?

Layovers of course! Layovers = stopping en route to your destination in another airport without you having to worry about checked in baggage. Layovers = lower airfares

When you are flying long distances, direct flights are pretty expensive especially if booked a bit late. Doing longer layovers without lounge access - You automatically get very put off. 2 hour to 8 hours layovers feel like a torture. But when you do have lounge access, you actually feel it’d be even great to get down, stretch a bit, lie down and eat a bit not to mention good free alcohol and showers in some of them. Yea I haven’t showered yet hehe.

From India when you fly to US, Canada, South America, UK, Western Europe, South Africa, Australia, NZ, Japan etc, it can get very expensive and very long if you take direct flights. Breaking it gives you good rest and your bank balance a good break too. When you know your geography well and stop at big hub airports, you can lounge, stroll and enjoy. You’ll also feel way less jet lagged as compared to those non stop flights thus giving you energy to explore more in your destination or get back to work quicker at home.

Well probably not applicable if you’re in your early 20s, solo and have loads of energy to do layovers even without lounges but when you’re older, have family, kids, elderly with you, you would absolutely find it to be a blessing.

Lounges also have more benefits for travel but since the topic is about flying cheaper, I’ll stop here.

So yea, if you’re getting one of those cards that need you to pay annual fees of 5k, 10k etc, go for it. And it’s even worth it for you to spend on cards the preceding month to unlock lounges of you are off setting it with a lot of ₹₹₹ saved through lower fares.

Copied from a post at https://www.reddit.com/r/CreditCardsIndia/s/eMEeGGiV8W

Never thought of it this way. Also, if something similar is already there on this forum, I sincerely apologise. I just wanted to share this post as I found that people might not always think of such benefits & cost reduction methods 😊

nomad

TF Premier

If you’re into international trips a lot, have family traveling with you, or a combination of both, I would highly recommend going for those credit cards, even if annually paid, that have very good lounge access internationally- given that you are eligible for it. Or work towards it.

I hold an HDFC Infinia and it undoubtedly has a powerful Priority pass. I’ve used it for me and my family in some 8 lounges across 5 countries ever since I got it. Made maximum use of it already for the tickets through smartbuy but the lounge access too was used well to save more ₹₹₹.

Of late, lounges have been getting a bad rep for being way too crowded. But in my experience I’ve only encountered that 1 or max 2 in 10 times. Has been wonderful all through. And that was before many cards started restricting and clamping down on lounge benefits.

Layovers of course! Layovers = stopping en route to your destination in another airport without you having to worry about checked in baggage. Layovers = lower airfares

When you are flying long distances, direct flights are pretty expensive especially if booked a bit late. Doing longer layovers without lounge access - You automatically get very put off. 2 hour to 8 hours layovers feel like a torture. But when you do have lounge access, you actually feel it’d be even great to get down, stretch a bit, lie down and eat a bit not to mention good free alcohol and showers in some of them. Yea I haven’t showered yet hehe.

From India when you fly to US, Canada, South America, UK, Western Europe, South Africa, Australia, NZ, Japan etc, it can get very expensive and very long if you take direct flights. Breaking it gives you good rest and your bank balance a good break too. When you know your geography well and stop at big hub airports, you can lounge, stroll and enjoy. You’ll also feel way less jet lagged as compared to those non stop flights thus giving you energy to explore more in your destination or get back to work quicker at home.

Well probably not applicable if you’re in your early 20s, solo and have loads of energy to do layovers even without lounges but when you’re older, have family, kids, elderly with you, you would absolutely find it to be a blessing.

Lounges also have more benefits for travel but since the topic is about flying cheaper, I’ll stop here.

So yea, if you’re getting one of those cards that need you to pay annual fees of 5k, 10k etc, go for it. And it’s even worth it for you to spend on cards the preceding month to unlock lounges of you are off setting it with a lot of ₹₹₹ saved through lower fares.

Never thought of it this way. Also, if something similar is already there on this forum, I sincerely apologise. I just wanted to share this post as I found that people might not always think of such benefits & cost reduction methods 😊
Thanks for sharing this

Interesting take on the cost-benefit analysis of paid premium cards

ccdc

TF Ace

a slight off topic question....have you used Infinia add on cards for your family to enable them to access to domestic lounges in India?

I understand from your post that Infinia add on card holders can access unlimited International lounge in India and abroad via PP...am i right?

SmartyAadi

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
a slight off topic question....have you used Infinia add on cards for your family to enable them to access to domestic lounges in India?

I understand from your post that Infinia add on card holders can access unlimited International lounge in India and abroad via PP...am i right?
We haven't got a chance to try so, but that should work. My aunt also has Infinia and her son was able to acces the domestic lounges via Add on card. My dad has tried PP access (for add on) at international airport and was able to do so.

chnleo

TF Select
Not everyone is lucky to get an Infinia. I am fighting with them for it since 2 years and have the required income, spending capacity, travelling and good cibil score. But at the end of the day.....somehow the a.. h... who took up my application just didn't like me!!! The entire hdfc team stuck to their guns and supported their lousy team mate!!! Such things happen!

SmartyAadi

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Not everyone is lucky to get an Infinia. I am fighting with them for it since 2 years and have the required income, spending capacity, travelling and good cibil score. But at the end of the day.....somehow the a.. h... who took up my application just didn't like me!!! The entire hdfc team stuck to their guns and supported their lousy team mate!!! Such things happen!
It is not just for Infinia buddy, my post is for all people who have any card with good enough Airport lounge access benefit! :)
I find my mom to be lucky to get Infinia easily on ITR of 8L whereas dad was rejected with ITR of 50L + (He did not have any existing HDFC cc tho)

shashankrt

TF Premier

As someone who has actually used this approach I can confirm this works. Especially for long haul flights, having a break journey helps. However please
check lounge availability on your layover airports before planning above.

Above also helps if you want to avoid a particular airline. For example I avoid KLM due to their really bad service in economy class. In this case taking break in gulf (emirates / etihad / qatar) is an alternative provided you are ok with 4 - 8 hour layover.

bigbrain

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
There is difference between PP between HDFC Infinia and Axis Magnus/Reserve.

In US, I tried using the PP at partner restaurant at airport. Only HDFC Card card was accepted in all of them. I could use Axis PP only in Washington airport. I was traveling with my colleague so wanted to use guest access.

All the restaurants has displayed that PP issued by Amex are not accepted.

bigbrain

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Restaurant access is very useful when you have short layovers and it is lunch/dinner time. You can even take away.

Or when the really long layover. And lounge allows only 3 hours before boarding.

jamesdolan

TF Select
VIP Lounge
Have a very contradictory stance here. Good flight deals can be found anywhere and everywhere. I have used Singapore airlines with 2 and 3 hour layovers both ways to go to Korea. Return fare 33k. Even if I had a lounge card which I have I would not be comfortable spending more than 4 hours in a lounge. Would rather pay sensible amount extra to shorten the trip. Considering long layovers and the additional travel times take out half or full day of my vacation for resting

shashankrt

TF Premier

In US, I tried using the PP at partner restaurant at airport. Only HDFC Card card was accepted in all of them. I could use Axis PP only in Washington airport. I was traveling with my colleague so wanted to use guest access.

Strange. 1st time I am hearing Amex PP is not accepted somewhere. Or is it that they accept Amex cards directly?

shashankrt

TF Premier
Restaurant access is very useful when you have short layovers and it is lunch/dinner time. You can even take away.

Or when the really long layover. And lounge allows only 3 hours before boarding.
3 hours is applicable only when entering the airport. Never faced issue with 3hr limit during layover.

shashankrt

TF Premier
Have a very contradictory stance here. Good flight deals can be found anywhere and everywhere. I have used Singapore airlines with 2 and 3 hour layovers both ways to go to Korea. Return fare 33k. Even if I had a lounge card which I have I would not be comfortable spending more than 4 hours in a lounge. Would rather pay sensible amount extra to shorten the trip. Considering long layovers and the additional travel times take out half or full day of my vacation for resting
Depends on situation. Sometimes long direct flights are more painful than layovers. Also for young kids short layovers help. For long layover of 8 hrs also it depends. For example a direct flight landing at 11PM is much worse than a layover flight landing at next day morning.

ccdc

TF Ace

i thought PP is only accepted at lounges....what is this "partner restaurant"?

bigbrain

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
i thought PP is only accepted at lounges....what is this "partner restaurant"?
If you see priority pass app there are many sections in some airports. One for “Lounge”, one for “Eat” and sometimes for “Rest”.

The restaurants in “Eat” section offers $28/per visitor discount on your bill. If your bill is less than $28 then you don’t have to pay anything. But tipping is mandatory. The receptionist specifically mentioned about tipping before swiping my card.

Similarly there are sleep and fly lounges as well

Attached screenshot of Boston airport Terminal E for reference for “Eat”

You can check Doha airport for “Rest”

Attachments

• IMG_6353.png
    IMG_6353.png
    258.3 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_6354.png
    IMG_6354.png
    286.3 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_6355.png
    IMG_6355.png
    308.3 KB · Views: 25

bigbrain

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Strange. 1st time I am hearing Amex PP is not accepted somewhere. Or is it that they accept Amex cards directly?
Nope. Amex card or Amex issued PP was not accepted at these partner restaurants. The receptionist said they accept Chase and/or Capital bank issued cards.

I guess lounge had no issues. I dont have card that support international lounge from amex so never bothered to find out more.

ccdc

TF Ace
If you see priority pass app there are many sections in some airports. One for “Lounge”, one for “Eat” and sometimes for “Rest”.

The restaurants in “Eat” section offers $28/per visitor discount on your bill. If your bill is less than $28 then you don’t have to pay anything. But tipping is mandatory. The receptionist specifically mentioned about tipping before swiping my card.

Similarly there are sleep and fly lounges as well

Attached screenshot of Boston airport Terminal E for reference for “Eat”

You can check Doha airport for “Rest”
alright...this is the first time i have seen eat and sleep areas....so you used Infinia PP to eat in one of these "eat" restaurants? How do you know beforehand if one's PP is accepted in eat/sleep areas? How much tipping is generally accepted since India has no tipping culture...or we just leave the change as tip which is very less as a % of the bill amount.

bigbrain

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
alright...this is the first time i have seen eat and sleep areas....so you used Infinia PP to eat in one of these "eat" restaurants? How do you know beforehand if one's PP is accepted in eat/sleep areas? How much tipping is generally accepted since India has no tipping culture...or we just leave the change as tip which is very less as a % of the bill amount.
They swipe the PP on the machine at the entrance, you will know if it is accepted after the swipe.

Axis Reserve PP was accepted in Washington airport and denied at at other places where Infinia PP was accepted. Infinia PP was accepted at Boston and Detroit.

In US it is standard to tip at least 15% of the bill amount. They frown upon you if you don't tip 15%.