• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

VI International Roaming or Local E-Sim

kumarvishwas

TF Buzz
VIP Lounge
Hi Guys,

I’ll be travelling to Europe(France, Switzerland, Netherlands) this weekend and searching for a reliable network.

Primarily I have Airtel/Jio and I don’t feel either of these have good international roaming plans.

Thinking to get VI prepaid sim from nearby VI store as they offer better international roaming plans and highlight unlimited data usage atleast for France and Netherlands and 5 GB for Switzerland.

FUP for unlimited data seems to be 2 GB per day acc to terms and conditions(please correct me if I am wrong)

Please let me know if you used VI internationally especially in Europe, how are the speeds network etc and should I take this or get some local e-sim upon landing(also suggest operator if you have experience)

Also I have Flexiroam e-sim installed as part of that Mastercard offer and have taken around 20 vouchers of 3 GB each but not sure on its reliability if that would work or not so don’t want to depend on it.

TIA

Swastik

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
I've had all 3 Vi ,Airtel and Jio international roaming as well as Matrix in our group on our US trip last year ,but reliability was an issue for all 3

Jio - Unreliable network ,both in US and Europe(Germany, Austria ,Czech and Turkey ,friend went early last year on honeymoon)

Airtel - More realiable ,but costliest of bunch

Vi - Better then Jio ,Worse then Airtel ,Prices are resonable

Matrix - Similar to Vi

My advice - Buy local ,after i landed in SFO ,i went to a local shop at Fisherman's Wharf and bought a Lyca sim for 50 USD (Unlimited everything for 1 month including regular calls to india) ,my only regert is i should have gone for a bigger carrier like T-Mobile or At&t or Verizon ,because internet was little slow ,5G network was in consistent in California and florida and i had no signal at a place in downtown Vegas ,if i had to do it again i would buy local but a bigger carrier

Also don't buy at airports ,they're costlier then local shops

techt

TF Legend
My advice - Buy local ,after i landed in SFO ,i went to a local shop at Fisherman's Wharf and bought a Lyca sim for 50 USD (Unlimited everything for 1 month including regular calls to india) ,my only regert is i should have gone for a bigger carrier like T-Mobile or At&t or Verizon ,because internet was little slow ,5G network was in consistent in California and florida and i had no signal at a place in downtown Vegas ,if i had to do it again i would buy local but a bigger carrier

Also don't buy at airports ,they're costlier then local shops
Well put. This applies to all the countries.