• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

International roaming long term?

theglobalinvestor

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Any hacks for international roaming? We will need roaming enabled for banking transactions and OTP etc. Cost is approx 7k per month. We are 4 of us and will be abroad for 3-4 months. That's 28k per month or a whopping 1L+ total roaming cost.

Any hacks or tricks to avoid this? Any sms forwarding service or similar? Can't change number with all banks etc.

gurbina

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
No info on bank or mobile provider. It's vital to help you out with a solution.

Some banks offer OTP via email i.e. Axis. Perhaps take a credit card or bank account from them with the add-on for family.
For some mobile providers receiving SMS is free when overseas, seems like Airtel offers this to prepaid users.

If you have the option to be charged for receiving SMS then why pay for the roaming package unless you do more than dozens of online transactions weekly which will rack up to these sky high roaming charges.

theglobalinvestor

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
No info on bank or mobile provider. It's vital to help you out with a solution.

Some banks offer OTP via email i.e. Axis. Perhaps take a credit card or bank account from them with the add-on for family.
For some mobile providers receiving SMS is free when overseas, seems like Airtel offers this to prepaid users.

If you have the option to be charged for receiving SMS then why pay for the roaming package unless you do more than dozens of online transactions weekly which will rack up to these sky high roaming charges.
Multiple banks... SBI, HDFC, AXIS, etc. Business banking through corporate apps/netbanking. Requires multi-user authentication via OTP. No email option.

Telecom provider is VI and AIrtel.

The problem with not taking a roaming package is most times SMS/OTP don't get delivered while roaming without a package. Per my past experience. Once you activate a roaming package all delivery issues are miraculously solved.

hariselio

TF Premier
Yes, but only if you take a roaming plan.
not sure about postpaid plans, but in prepaid its not true. i've used airtel prepaid for two years without taking any additional roaming plan. All i had to do was to make some phone calls every two months or so to keep the number active. And i did not had any issues in receiving OTPs.

As of now, one of my friend is using airtel prepaid yearly(1799) plan in US. His number is still active as i see! (i've registered that number in my airtel account for recharges, so i can see its active)

EDIT: Confirmed with my friend, he receives OTPs without any trouble.

Last edited:

ltf4ever

TF Ace
not sure about postpaid plans, but in prepaid its not true. i've used airtel prepaid for two years without taking any additional roaming plan. All i had to do was to make some phone calls every two months or so to keep the number active. And i did not had any issues in receiving OTPs.

As of now, one of my friend is using airtel prepaid yearly(1799) plan in US. His number is still active as i see! (i've registered that number in my airtel account for recharges, so i can see its active)

EDIT: Confirmed with my friend, he receives OTPs without any trouble.
my experience is different (2019).
prepaid plan, didn't have any roaming enabled, and did not get any sms about transactions for 2 days.
had to open the airtel app using hotel wifi, buy an international roaming plan, and instantly the Sms started coming.

DRSYEDIRFAN

TF Buzz
Any hacks for international roaming? We will need roaming enabled for banking transactions and OTP etc. Cost is approx 7k per month. We are 4 of us and will be abroad for 3-4 months. That's 28k per month or a whopping 1L+ total roaming cost.

Any hacks or tricks to avoid this? Any sms forwarding service or similar? Can't change number with all banks etc.
Airtel doesn't charge for incoming SMS, I was outside of India for 6years with my Airtel sim card, it received messages. sometime delivering the message might get delayed but it will be delivered , just make sure to keep it active by sending one message from your number to another Indian number everymonth (it might cost you Rs 25/message) and normal recharge plan. that wil do good.

avishj

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
I can confirm Airtel prepaid allows you to recieve SMS, friends used it in Canada for 3ish months no issues. I on the other hand in Jio, didn't get shit, atleast they have coverage via international partners, I got 0 network.

Wealth is my birth right!

TF Prestige
VIP Lounge
I can confirm Airtel prepaid allows you to recieve SMS, friends used it in Canada for 3ish months no issues. I on the other hand in Jio, didn't get shit, atleast they have coverage via international partners, I got 0 network.
then time to look back the ported airtel nos at my home to jio for their attractive 4g plans some years back to airtel again

hks789

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
For BSNL 1 month roaming plan is 57rs. Used it last month in Turkey & Oman, Received messages without much delay.
Jio was a disappointment, will only receive SMS if you do a roaming pack of 1100ish per month

Last edited:

avishj

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
For BSNL 1 month roaming plan is 57rs. Used it last month in Turkey & Oman, Received messages without much delay.
Jio was a disappointment, will only receive SMS if do a roaming pack of 1100ish per month
Might port over to BSNL for this, seems quite manageable in this case