• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Having a powerful Lounge access pass indirectly makes international flights far cheaper. Hear me out.

bigbrain

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
3 hours is applicable only when entering the airport. Never faced issue with 3hr limit during layover.
My flight was rescheduled and 12hrs layover and Air France lounge at Boston did not allow me in. But the receptionist gave me a token and asked to come 3hrs before boarding and said she will let me in on priority if it is crowded.

ccdc

TF Ace
They swipe the PP on the machine at the entrance, you will know if it is accepted after the swipe.

Axis Reserve PP was accepted in Washington airport and denied at at other places where Infinia PP was accepted. Infinia PP was accepted at Boston and Detroit.

In US it is standard to tip at least 15% of the bill amount. They frown upon you if you don't tip 15%.
isn't it counted as a visit if they swipe your PP first....like it's done in lounges?

shashankrt

TF Premier
My flight was rescheduled and 12hrs layover and Air France lounge at Boston did not allow me in. But the receptionist gave me a token and asked to come 3hrs before boarding and said she will let me in on priority if it is crowded.
Thats strange. I have been to lounges in excess of 4 hrs in case of delays. Was this a premium lounge or normal one?

Zacobite

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Sharing this for the benefit of those who love to travel.

If you’re into international trips a lot, have family traveling with you, or a combination of both, I would highly recommend going for those credit cards, even if annually paid, that have very good lounge access internationally- given that you are eligible for it. Or work towards it.

I hold an HDFC Infinia and it undoubtedly has a powerful Priority pass. I’ve used it for me and my family in some 8 lounges across 5 countries ever since I got it. Made maximum use of it already for the tickets through smartbuy but the lounge access too was used well to save more ₹₹₹.

Of late, lounges have been getting a bad rep for being way too crowded. But in my experience I’ve only encountered that 1 or max 2 in 10 times. Has been wonderful all through. And that was before many cards started restricting and clamping down on lounge benefits.

Ok so here’s coming to the point.

How does one save on international flights when you’ve got great lounge access?

Layovers of course! Layovers = stopping en route to your destination in another airport without you having to worry about checked in baggage. Layovers = lower airfares

When you are flying long distances, direct flights are pretty expensive especially if booked a bit late. Doing longer layovers without lounge access - You automatically get very put off. 2 hour to 8 hours layovers feel like a torture. But when you do have lounge access, you actually feel it’d be even great to get down, stretch a bit, lie down and eat a bit not to mention good free alcohol and showers in some of them. Yea I haven’t showered yet hehe.

From India when you fly to US, Canada, South America, UK, Western Europe, South Africa, Australia, NZ, Japan etc, it can get very expensive and very long if you take direct flights. Breaking it gives you good rest and your bank balance a good break too. When you know your geography well and stop at big hub airports, you can lounge, stroll and enjoy. You’ll also feel way less jet lagged as compared to those non stop flights thus giving you energy to explore more in your destination or get back to work quicker at home.

Well probably not applicable if you’re in your early 20s, solo and have loads of energy to do layovers even without lounges but when you’re older, have family, kids, elderly with you, you would absolutely find it to be a blessing.

Lounges also have more benefits for travel but since the topic is about flying cheaper, I’ll stop here.

So yea, if you’re getting one of those cards that need you to pay annual fees of 5k, 10k etc, go for it. And it’s even worth it for you to spend on cards the preceding month to unlock lounges of you are off setting it with a lot of ₹₹₹ saved through lower fares.

Copied from a post at https://www.reddit.com/r/CreditCardsIndia/s/eMEeGGiV8W

Never thought of it this way. Also, if something similar is already there on this forum, I sincerely apologise. I just wanted to share this post as I found that people might not always think of such benefits & cost reduction methods 😊
agree.. good point of view..

shashankrt

TF Premier
It was Air France lounge
Some airlines have normal, business and first class lounges at same airport. Especially for airports where access to all lounges are allowed via PP (example bangkok airport 1st class lounge) business / 1st class lounges will not put time limit especially in case of delay or long layover.

bigbrain

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Some airlines have normal, business and first class lounges at same airport. Especially for airports where access to all lounges are allowed via PP (example bangkok airport 1st class lounge) business / 1st class lounges will not put time limit especially in case of delay or long layover.
It was a very ordinary lounge. Even BLR lounge in bangalore is better. 080 is a world apart.