• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

What's your gold charge retention offer?

helloworld

TF Legend

American Express® Gold Card​

Annual Fee: 5310

18k/24k Collection
Welcome Gift (Spend 5k in 90days)4000 MR-
Referral Benefit (Spend 5k in 90days)2000 MR-
Regular Reward (Incl. Fuel and Utility)1 MR/500.33 - 0.58 (Amzn - Taj)
Milestone benefits (6 transactions of 1000 each in a calendar month)1000 MR-
Spend 72000 in a year (6000x12)
Reward RateRegular 1x purchases

(1440 MR + 12000 MR = 13440 MR)
6.16% - 10.83%
Reward Multiplier 5x purchases

(7200 MR + 12000 MR = 19200 MR)
8.8% - 15.47%
Net Reward Rate for 1st Year

1180 (JF) + 72000 (Spends)
4000 MR + 2000 MR + (13440 MR to 19200 MR)8.76% - 19.97%

Problem: Above returns drastically changes based on retention offer because there is no annual fee waiver based on spend amount in Gold charge.

- If the fee waived full, then above are your return rate on this card.

Note: If accumulation takes multiple years then multiple retention offers needs to be considered.

Sample retention offers (may vary from p2p depends on association, spends etc.):

1. Pay Full Fee (5310) and get 10000 MR (Net Return*: 9.4% - 20.96%)
2. Pay Half Fee (2655) (Net Return*: 7.34% - 17.42%)
3. Full Fee Reversal on 1.5L spend in next 3M (Net Return*: 4.22% - 12.05%)

Based on these offers, actual reward rate will vary.

* Calculated based on 1st year spends + 2nd year spends along with respective retention offer with lowest and highest reward option in Gold collection.

So, whats your gold charge retention offer?

Last edited:

supperman

TF Select
Only getting these options -
1. 10K points on paying the full amount
2. 50% waiver alongwith GST
3. Full waiver on spending 1.5L within 90 days.

Possible to hold out for something better, or this is as good as it'll get?

vaibhav111

TF Legend
TF Family
VIP Lounge
Sr Moderator
Will spends of 3 lakh+ be able to get you full fee waiver?
Nope.. how come with 3 lakhs amount for fees wavier? If you have plantium charge or 3 amex cc with gold spend on all of them then may be. Do notice earlier with 4 lakhs or more amex used to reversed gold charges fees. My dad have gold charged from 2014 and he paid fees this year so in 8 year of his gold charge. Amex charges fees and with one call with amex reversal the fees. This year amount the same but 10k Mr point against 5310 fees.

Nagarjun P S

TF Buzz
Nope.. how come with 3 lakhs amount for fees wavier? If you have plantium charge or 3 amex cc with gold spend on all of them then may be. Do notice earlier with 4 lakhs or more amex used to reversed gold charges fees. My dad have gold charged from 2014 and he paid fees this year so in 8 year of his gold charge. Amex charges fees and with one call with amex reversal the fees. This year amount the same but 10k Mr point against 5310 fees.
I read in some posts that few were offered 12.5k points for the renewal fee, is that not being offered anymore?

supperman

TF Select
Even with good spend amex cs offer this to their customer even many have took 1st option too so you can try to negotiate further or cancel and re apply after 6 month. Only one individual managed to get 1125 + taxes. And that wasn't easy either.
I wonder what's the better offer here, the points, or the flat reduction...I guess points for full payment gives a better return, assuming redemption against 18K/24K collection. Not by much, but maybe better than 50% off.

helloworld

TF Legend
I wonder what's the better offer here, the points, or the flat reduction...I guess points for full payment gives a better return, assuming redemption against 18K/24K collection. Not by much, but maybe better than 50% off.

some notes exclude redemption part:

- every year amex gives 10k points for 4k Rs. everyone.

with this in mind, they're saying 10k points for 5.3k Rs. (+1.3k increase).

- 50% waiver = 2.6k Rs. fee (then its like mid level premium card like regalia range, so expecting lounge with some TnCs, high reward earning options etc. not 6x1000)

- Spend 1.5L and waived off 5.3K Rs. fee. Well this is subjective on whether you spend or not but its just 3.5% reward rate on something non-purchase item.

So, best offer so far is 75% reduction but otherwise all others its mostly common with 50% waiver.

Last edited:

Nagarjun P S

TF Buzz
I feel the points for the fee is better as you'll get roughly 3900rs for 10k points, which reduces the effective renewal fee to 1410 (5310-3900). With the 50% waiver you'll end up paying 2655 without any points.

supperman

TF Select
So, best offer so far is 75% reduction but otherwise all others its mostly common with 50% waiver.
Yes, that appears to be the case. They won't budge. It's not the best, but I think Gold Charge still works for me, and I'd like to keep it, they aren't making it easier, though. I wish they'd tack on a decent benefit to the card, besides what's already there.

helloworld

TF Legend
Yes, that appears to be the case. They won't budge. It's not the best, but I think Gold Charge still works for me, and I'd like to keep it, they aren't making it easier, though. I wish they'd tack on a decent benefit to the card, besides what's already there.

any particular reason to keep this card by paying atleast 2.5k fee?

I believe looking for reasons beyond 6x1000 because that is less value compared to the fee we paid. Share your thoughts and approach, if possible.

codenerd

TF Ace
Spent 2.1 Lakhs on my gold charge card and have been an amex customer since last 3 years (smart earn card).
Got levied 5310 today! Time to see if they will retain me as a customer or not.
Will talk to them tomorrow. Will update with the offers I receive.
BUT
No way in hell I am gonna pay that hefty 5310 rupee for an average card which is only good for flaunting which ultimately has zero lounge/movie benefit.
A thousand times I would pay 900 (GST component) for AU Zenith + instead of this overhyped card. I dont really see any benefit apart from 6*1000 monthly spend which gets me close to 1120 MRs monthly.

codenerd

TF Ace
Spent 2.1 Lakhs on my gold charge card and have been an amex customer since last 3 years (smart earn card).
Got levied 5310 today! Time to see if they will retain me as a customer or not.
Will talk to them tomorrow. Will update with the offers I receive.
BUT
No way in hell I am gonna pay that hefty 5310 rupee for an average card which is only good for flaunting which ultimately has zero lounge/movie benefit.
A thousand times I would pay 900 (GST component) for AU Zenith + instead of this overhyped card. I dont really see any benefit apart from 6*1000 monthly spend which gets me close to 1120 MRs monthly.
No point! Got the same standard offers after 15 mins discussion. They are very stringent about the card fees and 50% discount is the max they can offer. No way in hell I will renew this substandard card just for the sake of avg MR points that almost can get easily on even MRCC.

So....
Gold Charge Card will be the first credit card in my life that I will be closing! Maybe 6 months later I will use someone's referral in family and apply again if I am allowed to.

Hopefully applying for AU Zenith +

helloworld

TF Legend
No point! Got the same standard offers after 15 mins discussion. They are very stringent about the card fees and 50% discount is the max they can offer. No way in hell I will renew this substandard card just for the sake of avg MR points that almost can get easily on even MRCC.

So....
Gold Charge Card will be the first credit card in my life that I will be closing! Maybe 6 months later I will use someone's referral in family and apply again if I am allowed to.

Hopefully applying for AU Zenith +

will they reverse the fee if we close after fee billed to our account?