• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Amex Gold Charge Card annual renewal fee waiver

sjmajumder

TF Ace
I have been using Amex Gold Charge Card for 11 years. First 8 years I got unconditional full waiver. Last 2 years I got full waiver on spending 60K in 90 days.

This year it has become tougher. First time I called after statement was generated I got 3 offers:
  1. 50% waiver
  2. Pay 100% and get 10,000 RP
  3. Spend 1.5 lakhs in 90 days for full waiver
I mentioned about last 2 year's offer and also said I will go with it if I get the same offer but nothing better was offered in spite of a hold and consulting with seniors. I did not accept any and said let me think over it.

I called back again yesterday (1 day before due date) and again the same 3 options were given. I said I am unable to accept any (did not say that I will cancel the card or anything like that). The executive kept on saying that since you are with us for 11 years if there is any possibility of giving a better offer I will never hold it back. Finally he put me on hold and consulted seniors and came back with final offer of spending 1L in 90 days for full waiver. I might have been able to take it down little bit further but wasn't in the mood and accepted it, completely aware that next year it might go up even more :(

coolguy1

TF Ace
Contributor
VIP Lounge
Amex cards are great and as they get more and more popular, the retention offers might go down.

I would suggest keeping the cards that you're really using, closing down the rest or adapting yourself to the yearly fees.

Or as some other people do, you can close down and then re-apply after a while again to get the first-year rewards and first-year free card! :)

Hey wanted to quickly check what finally happened with your fee waiver. I am in the same boat. Using Amex Gold Charge and MRCC LTF for past 8 years with full fee waiver without any conditions every year. This year I have got the same offer as you except 1L instead of 1.5L spend in 90 days for 100% waiver.

LordVoldemort

TF Select
VIP Lounge
I have been using Amex Gold Charge Card for 11 years. First 8 years I got unconditional full waiver. Last 2 years I got full waiver on spending 60K in 90 days.

This year it has become tougher. First time I called after statement was generated I got 3 offers:
  1. 50% waiver
  2. Pay 100% and get 10,000 RP
  3. Spend 1.5 lakhs in 90 days for full waiver
I mentioned about last 2 year's offer and also said I will go with it if I get the same offer but nothing better was offered in spite of a hold and consulting with seniors. I did not accept any and said let me think over it.

I called back again yesterday (1 day before due date) and again the same 3 options were given. I said I am unable to accept any (did not say that I will cancel the card or anything like that). The executive kept on saying that since you are with us for 11 years if there is any possibility of giving a better offer I will never hold it back. Finally he put me on hold and consulted seniors and came back with final offer of spending 1L in 90 days for full waiver. I might have been able to take it down little bit further but wasn't in the mood and accepted it, completely aware that next year it might go up even more :(
This is my first renewal, I am being offered 5k points for the fee. No waiver, Nada. Tried twice, Am i missing something?
Or does amex not waive for first renewals?