• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Amex Platinum Charge retention offer

anirban.choudhury

TF Legend
TF Family
VIP Lounge
Not sure what are you trying to imply from above? Yes Amex may have highest average per card however that means nothing as this includes their Black card holders which will spend in crores easily.

Also above data supports my point on confused Amex strategy even further. Amex is nowhere even close to tapping market share in India. Look at top 5 and amex is not even close to them. Even Indusind has more card spends than Amex. I hope you understand that Credit card is volume based business and overall spends matter. Even banks like AU and IDFC are catching up to Amex based on above data.

Also fyi.. Major chunk of Amex spends are from Amex Business cards and not personal cards as they also have significant travel business.

Also where did I mention they were banned due to loss by RBI?
The market share for American Express (Amex) can never compete with other banks because Amex only offers credit cards to customers, whereas other banks are generally more involved in savings accounts (SB). The reach of other banks, especially their existing customer base, allows them to offer credit cards, sometimes providing them for a lifetime free (LTF) to existing customers.

Amex doesn't have a single card that is offered as default LTF, unlike other banks.

Market share will always be an issue for Amex, but the fact that they are competing and offering awesome deals, which none of their competitors are even considering, is something that needs to be applauded.

In addition, the dispute and chargeback mechanism from Amex is of the highest standard, surpassing other competitors like HDFC & ICICI.

kameshee17

TF Select
VIP Lounge
What was Kaizen offer? And I renewed due to exact same scenario as yours. I will wait for this year. If I am unable to recover 70K through spend based rewards then bye bye Amex. Problem is PP with MB / Infinia and related offers just kicks Amex. Recently I did not even bother to use Amex for international lounges as PP use was much preferred.
Check this thread out. They were giving 30k/15k taj vouchers for 1 lakh and above flight booking.

Pack_of_Cards

TF Premier
Not sure what are you trying to imply from above? Yes Amex may have highest average per card however that means nothing as this includes their Black card holders which will spend in crores easily.

Also above data supports my point on confused Amex strategy even further. Amex is nowhere even close to tapping market share in India. Look at top 5 and amex is not even close to them. Even Indusind has more card spends than Amex. I hope you understand that Credit card is volume based business and overall spends matter. Even banks like AU and IDFC are catching up to Amex based on above data.

Also fyi.. Major chunk of Amex spends are from Amex Business cards and not personal cards as they also have significant travel business.

Also where did I mention they were banned due to loss by RBI?
Ok this thread is for discussion on retention offers, don't want to highjack somebody's thread.

parthv

TF Buzz
VIP Lounge
Yes this is the only reason for keeping Amex especially chargebacks and other support. However HDFC infinia support is seriously catching up. Recently my infinia was used fraudulently (at onlyfans of all the place ;) ). HDFC transaction monitoring called me (actual human call not robotic crap like Axis) at 4 AM. Just asked if transaction was genuine to which I said no.

Transaction reversed in few days (without me even calling them back), card blocked immediately after 4AM call and new card received in 2 days. Try to beat that Amex !! (Now not sure if this service quality is only for infinia or for other HDFC cards)

HDFC has many miles to go, especially with customer service. HDFC is simply rude in many cases on call or email.

Swastik

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
I heard long time back that Amex only offers joining Benefits once per card per customer in their lifetime, so if you cancel a card and re-apply, you won't get any joining Benefits,
Is that true ?

Rdspam

TF Premier
I heard long time back that Amex only offers joining Benefits once per card per customer in their lifetime, so if you cancel a card and re-apply, you won't get any joining Benefits,
Is that true ?
They’ve got a shit ton of such restrictions in the US. Some even prevent from claiming joining offers on plat if you claimed an offer when joining gold and vice versa. These restrictions have not made their way to India… at least for now

shashankrt

TF Premier
They’ve got a shit ton of such restrictions in the US. Some even prevent from claiming joining offers on plat if you claimed an offer when joining gold and vice versa. These restrictions have not made their way to India… at least for now
Yes. However you don't have reason to cancel Amex in US as they have really good offers and renewal benefits. Indian Amex plat is one of the worst Amex plat in the world. Hence if Amex does says nonsense as in US then they will lose customers big time.

hrish88

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Even i got 20K offer as they said spending were low.i spent 23 L in the next month still amex offered only 20K.i took it because i am yet to receive 21K Amazon vouchers and 30K rewards points for the November spend offer and 25K taj voucher for jan based spend offer.

One of the underrated feature of this card is the spending limit.its very useful in case of emergencies.i had an urgent requirement for 30L.because of this card i was able to manage it easily.

gurbina

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
AMEX retention can vary a lot it seems! I just got offered 30k Taj voucher as retention, points aren't possible after pursuing that alternative. 2L-3L per month usage.

Again not sure how they determine these retentions, quite often they don't quite correlate very well with the users profile or at least superficially it looks that way...

Zacobite

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
AMEX retention can vary a lot it seems! I just got offered 30k Taj voucher as retention, points aren't possible after pursuing that alternative. 2L-3L per month usage.

Again not sure how they determine these retentions, quite often they don't quite correlate very well with the users profile or at least superficially it looks that way...
30k includes the 10k birthday day voucher (20+10).. so same. offer

Did not get any offer and fee was just added to the statement. Called the specialized team on their dedicated line and got offered 60k MR points with the comment of "best offer tier that we have".

Typically spend 2-4L a month on the card.

ALOAK

TF Ace
The market share for American Express (Amex) can never compete with other banks because Amex only offers credit cards to customers, whereas other banks are generally more involved in savings accounts (SB). The reach of other banks, especially their existing customer base, allows them to offer credit cards, sometimes providing them for a lifetime free (LTF) to existing customers.

Amex doesn't have a single card that is offered as default LTF, unlike other banks.

Market share will always be an issue for Amex, but the fact that they are competing and offering awesome deals, which none of their competitors are even considering, is something that needs to be applauded.

In addition, the dispute and chargeback mechanism from Amex is of the highest standard, surpassing other competitors like HDFC & ICICI.
In 2017 amex had released life time free offer for MRCC cards. This comes rarely.