• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

What is the best mode to carry currency to bali?

anandkk

TF Buzz
VIP Lounge
Hi ,

I will be visiting Bali this september. I am trying to find the best way/method to handle expenses in this international trip.

I found the following ways, please suggest the best option based on your travel knowledge.

1. Carrying USD from India. But i am not able to find the best way to get USD cash in India. Need suggestions here.

2. Niyo Global Card. Need your expert reviews or suggestions on this.

3. Any Forex cards.

Looking for some smart and innovative suggestions here.

Thanks.
:)

aakash

TF Buzz
i am also going to singapore, already applied fir FI Money. its 0 Markup card so can withdraw money as well as swipe it. comes LTF as well.

vaibhav111

TF Legend
TF Family
VIP Lounge
Sr Moderator
one card is the advisable cause of 1.18 forex charge including GST charge , 1 + 0.18 on that, and niyo global isn't LTF is only thing i know

Tejas

TF Premier
Airmiles Expert
Credit Card Expert
Hi ,

I will be visiting Bali this september. I am trying to find the best way/method to handle expenses in this international trip.

I found the following ways, please suggest the best option based on your travel knowledge.

1. Carrying USD from India. But i am not able to find the best way to get USD cash in India. Need suggestions here.

3. Any Forex cards.

Thanks.
Carry USD in Currency Notes. That's the best option. IDR is not a very popular currency. So Forex cards arent going to give you any extra-ordinary rate.

I bought USD from Thomas Cook and paid using Credit Card. Thomas Cook negotiates and undercuts bookmyforex rates over phone.

Add to it, you will need cash over there regularly. You can simply exchange 200 USD for IDR (Approx. 28-29 Lacs IDR) and should be sufficient for 2-3 days of spends. I assume Accommodation will be booked from here and paid in INR itself.

Dr. Drake

TF Ace
I generally get my currency from bookmyforex it's the cheapest and fastest service provider for me. I will suggest Niyo global card here its LTF and approx. 0-0.15% markup max is what I experience.

Since, you're visiting bali it is very much advisable to carry hard cash USD instead of there local currency.

vprajnya

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Here is what i do when i travel to countries like vietnam, thailand, malaysia, Sri lanka
- Use Credit Card directly for all big purchases
- Withdraw Cash using Debit card for smaller payments.
This works out almost equal to or better that converting INR->USD-> local currency

aakash

TF Buzz
But how is the acceptance of this card in singapore?
its a visa card so i am sure it will be accepted in most of the places. i will carry some SGD as well. also have DCB as a backup credit card.
I can withdraw from ATM as well from FI with 100rs charge

anandkk

TF Buzz
VIP Lounge
Here is what i do when i travel to countries like vietnam, thailand, malaysia, Sri lanka
- Use Credit Card directly for all big purchases
- Withdraw Cash using Debit card for smaller payments.
This works out almost equal to or better that converting INR->USD-> local currency
Thanks for the response :)

Can you specify the specific credit cards and debit card which you usually use?

If possible the charges for a 100 Rs used in other countries with these cards will be informative for everyone reading your post.

Thanks again:)

gabu

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
If you are going as family then no problem.
If boys only trip then beware custom can get hold of you ask & bribe for any cash found in your pocket/luggage.
They gonna cite you some rules which you won't be able to confirm causing unnecessary trouble and fear of missed flight.
Small fees of debit card /forex or credit card is so much better than paying those idiots.

vprajnya

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Earlier my main preference was
HDFC Diners > IndusInd Iconia Amex > Any debit card.

Nowadays it is
HDFC Diners > SBI Aurum > Idfc First Debit Card.

Credit card charges would normally be equal to the rate paid to converting cash first to USD and then to local currency.
Even if the card charges are 0.5-1% more, you don't have to go thru the hassle of changing currency.
Debit card charges is i think around $2. So ensure that you withdraw INR equivalent of 10-20K.

Ankit Goyal

TF Buzz
VIP Lounge
Hi ,

3. Any Forex cards.

Thanks.
I took USD with me during my trip to Bali, you can take the currency from Thomas Cook or Book My Forex. They do home delivery as well (depending on location). You can have a rough estimate of your currency requirement and carry as per that.

I would suggest you to exchange the minimal amount required at airport to travel to hotel in IDR as the rates would not be favourable. You can get very good rates at local Forex shops..

BankExpertIndia

TF Premier
Hi ,

3. Any Forex cards.

Thanks.
You Should Open A IndusExclusive Account... It Has 0% Forex Markup... Main Caveat Is The AMB Is 1L

addy

TF Buzz
VIP Lounge
Hi ,

3. Any Forex cards.

Thanks.
Hi
The best way would be to take USD (allowed amount) from India. Convert only minimal amount to Indonesian Rupiah at airport in bali for local payments (Airport exchange rates are very poor). For larger amounts use your debit/credit card (Visa/master). Convert only from registered money exchanges in Indonesia.