• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Carry On Suitcase (2/4 wheel) with Laptop Pockets/ Compartment? - Brands/Make/ Model/ Links + Experiences ? (Open to shop from: US, India, SEA)

insight

TF Ace
Carry On Suitcase Spinner with Laptop/ Notebook Pockets/ Compartment? - Brands/Make/ Model/ Links + Experiences ? (Open to shop from: US, India, SEA - SG, MY, Thai + Kickstarter/ Indiegogo)

Need to be able to quickly insert & remove for Airport Security:
  • Laptop
  • iPad Pro 12.9"
  • Slim Gadget/ Cable/ Electronic Org Kit
    • Contains Slim charger/ Cables etc.
  • Bonus if it has a USB/ Charging port

MeanMachine

TF Buzz
VIP Lounge
Carry On Suitcase Spinner with Laptop/ Notebook Pockets/ Compartment? - Brands/Make/ Model/ Links + Experiences ? (Open to shop from: US, India, SEA - SG, MY, Thai + Kickstarter/ Indiegogo)

Need to be able to quickly insert & remove for Airport Security:
  • Laptop
  • iPad Pro 12.9"
  • Slim Gadget/ Cable/ Electronic Org Kit
    • Contains Slim charger/ Cables etc.
  • Bonus if it has a USB/ Charging port
Travel Pro & Away great deals in US

MeanMachine

TF Buzz
VIP Lounge
You might get Travel Pro in Singapore as well might have to order in advance due to shipping from US, I think they are available in Amazon.sg.
I narrowed down to these two after a lot of research you can try Samsonite Evoa but I found space constrain even after spending 20K so better to spend on Travel Pro Elite that lasts really long. You can also give Tumi a go however quite a dent on budget ;) .

Last edited:

theglobalinvestor

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Moko and away are only hard cases. I hate that the hard cases opening is split in the middle. Needs more space to open out in hotel rooms etc.

Any other suggestions for soft cases?

nigameash

TF Select
Contributor
VIP Lounge
Based on personal experience, I would highly recommend soft shell suitcases as carry-on companions - hard shells are a pain when items aren't small enough to fit on one of the two halves/sides

I'm currently using a Samsonite Regal - it doesn't have a dedicated compartment for a laptop but I prioritized overall space over the laptop compartment

I just keep my laptop in the shirt pouch that came along with the suitcase.

Another top pick of mine was the Veron II but its been out of stock for a while in most stores & online - it does have a dedicated laptop compartment though

Both suitcases have a global lifetime warranty attached to them in case that bit is important.

Travel Pro is nice but service options will be a struggle outside the US with the one exception in Tunisia. Those are the only service centers across the globe (0 in Europe & Asia) -

1680891447091.jpeg

Last edited:

insight

TF Ace
You might get Travel Pro in Singapore as well might have to order in advance due to shipping from US, I think they are available in Amazon.sg.
I am not yet on the TP bandwagon right now maybe later this or next year if I personally travel abroad / state side.
I narrowed down to these two after a lot of research you can try Samsonite Evoa but I found space constrain even after spending 20K so better to spend on Travel Pro Elite that lasts really long. You can also give Tumi a go however quite a dent on budget ;) .
Lol! Cant justify TP or Tumi expenditure right now. The Samsung is fancy, but even after 20k its disappointing? Was it not a Red Dot Design Winner?

insight

TF Ace
Moko and away are only hard cases. I hate that the hard cases opening is split in the middle. Needs more space to open out in hotel rooms etc.
So this is one curiosity I had - outside of the dual space to open it, would it not be better to have that Double Working "Surface" to have 2 separate layers than layer on top of each other and then look underneath?
Separation = Good?
Any other suggestions for soft cases?
Amazon US shows a lot more variety, and also Shopee/ Lazada / AliEx to see different variety altogether.
Why you keen of soft vs hard cases? Do share thoughts/ experiences.

insight

TF Ace
Based on personal experience, I would highly recommend soft shell suitcases as carry-on companions - hard shells are a pain when items aren't small enough to fit on one of the two halves/sides
That's something I've come across or thought off yet. Could you list some such examples from your experience?
I'm currently using a Samsonite Regal - it doesn't have a dedicated compartment for a laptop but I prioritized overall space over the laptop compartment

I just keep my laptop in the shirt pouch that came along with the suitcase.
An interesting hack. Is there a link online that shows the above as you mentioned it? (For a visual).
Another top pick of mine was the Veron II but its been out of stock for a while in most stores & online - it does have a dedicated laptop compartment though

Both suitcases have a global lifetime warranty attached to them in case that bit is important.

Travel Pro is nice but service options will be a struggle outside the US with the one exception in Tunisia. Those are the only service centers across the globe (0 in Europe & Asia) -

1680891447091.jpeg
Hence, unless I am frequenting US again; TP, Tumi, Briggs are still on a later think of list.
Also, quite curious on the Level 8 and several other Neo brands that are making their presence felt.

theglobalinvestor

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
So this is one curiosity I had - outside of the dual space to open it, would it not be better to have that Double Working "Surface" to have 2 separate layers than layer on top of each other and then look underneath?
Separation = Good?

Amazon US shows a lot more variety, and also Shopee/ Lazada / AliEx to see different variety altogether.
Why you keen of soft vs hard cases? Do share thoughts/ experiences.
It comes down to personal preference really. I prefer the soft cases mainly because of the (lesser) space needed to access contents while in hotel rooms etc. You can have it on its base and the lid open against the wall or luggage rack. With hard cases since they usually open 50-50 split you really need double the space to have the suitcase open and accessible. This is my main reason. If they made hard cases with full depth and just a lid for the top, I would be ok that. Or even a very minimal top half with just an easy access pocket for laptops, gadgets, paperwork, etc. The 50-50 split opening just makes it cumbersome.

Most hotel rooms and luggage racks wont have the space for a hard case to be fully open and accessible. Obviously if you travel alone or typically stay at properties with huge rooms like Aman, then its not an issue.

The other reason why I prefer soft cases are you can usually pack them in a bit more and even squeeze them in to spaces a bit more than hard cases when required.

insight

TF Ace
It comes down to personal preference really. I prefer the soft cases mainly because of the (lesser) space needed to access contents while in hotel rooms etc.

You can have it on its base and the lid open against the wall or luggage rack.

With hard cases since they usually open 50-50 split you really need double the space to have the suitcase open and accessible. This is my main reason.
Thats an interesting design tradeoff I see between the 50 50 Clamshell vs 100 0 Open Box - Division of Luggage Space.

In fact googling and reading online has people who love one vs another.

I personally find "Separation" better - although I do agree that when open it takes double space.

But thats also I find it better for "VISUALLY" seeing and packing per se.

I like the "MORE VISIBLE AREA"
as well as
"DIVISION" across 2 shallows vs DIGGING into ONE DEEP BIN (which I find cumbersome for packing/ finding).

The BIN would require 2 layer deep packing while I'd like 2 separate into shallower "bundles".

Also I started using Marie Kondo style folding/ packing in "verticals" rather than Horizontal Stacks. So more visibility.

If they made hard cases with full depth and just a lid for the top, I would be ok that. Or even a very minimal top half with just an easy access pocket for laptops, gadgets, paperwork, etc.
I think there are hard & soft designs with both - maybe not commonly but there are (Amazon US / Shoppee MY) from my search recalls.
The 50-50 split opening just makes it cumbersome.

Most hotel rooms and luggage racks wont have the space for a hard case to be fully open and accessible.
You hate not having enough horizontal space for the Bag.

I hate not having "More Surface Area" to access if it is a Deeper Bin.
Obviously if you travel alone or typically stay at properties with huge rooms like Aman, then its not an issue.
"aman" ?
The other reason why I prefer soft cases are you can usually pack them in a bit more and even squeeze them in to spaces a bit more than hard cases when required.
Might wanna get some compression cubes & pickup on Marie Kondo/ and other "packing/ folding" techniques.

I actually realized that softer ones are worse off and "blow/ stretch/ give" at the seams when clothes are not folded/ packed TIGHT.

When its done TIGHT, the Hard Walls, hold them in "compression" better.

gurbina

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
I would try to figure out your use cases before you buy a carry-on.

Are you flying mostly within Asia? Mostly domestic or international? Because most airlines have and usually enforce a 7kg for carry-on (and sometimes they'll even weight any additional item but it's uncommon). Softcase will definitely be much better in such cases, hardcase lugagge can be heavy with many into the 3kg territory.

Either way I'd recommend a small handbag that you can attach (or detach) from your carryon, there's plenty that have a provision to be attached to the handlebars of your carryon. T
Since these gadgets take the most weight it makes sense to put it in a separate accompanying handbag that isn't usually weighted by any airline, even if they say so.

Most security at the airport will always be fuzzy about electronics, so having these in a separate bag really eases going through airport security and customs as some are "security" friendly and you don't have to remove the items from your bags.

On top of that you can store your boarding pass, passport or whatever in it and always have it reachable. Plus the convenience and security of having your gadgets in a small handbag next to you as opposed to stuffing everything in your carryon specially when it's in the overhead compartment... And you can even empty your pockets into your handbag while flying and just get comfortable while having them next to you.

I really tried to have a single carry-on but alas not possible in Asia with all the weight restrictions that don't exist in most of America.