• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

What card will work while visiting Nepal from India?

Sp4Rx

TF Buzz
Next month I will be traveling throughout Nepal from India. I want to know if there is any way I can go cashless in Nepal.

All my cards says it won't work in Nepal and Bhutan. Is there any specific card, may be rupay credit card or UPI apps which will work in Nepal?

zealot

TF Premier
I think cards will work but you have to check with bank before. It's better carry some cash.

Last edited:

Kartik155555

TF Buzz
Next month I will be traveling throughout Nepal from India. I want to know if there is any way I can go cashless in Nepal.

All my cards says it won't work in Nepal and Bhutan. Is there any specific card, may be rupay credit card or UPI apps which will work in Nepal?
I used my federal Bank debit card mastercard varient during my stays in Nepal.
But mostly used in the ATMs as they would charge me for withdrawing cash as my other dc n cc were not able to transact any amount.

And very important they accept Indian cash as well mostly on all stores but the conversion would go high or low.

It's better to take Indian cash from here and change it anywhere in Nepal.

Sp4Rx

TF Buzz
I used my federal Bank debit card mastercard varient during my stays in Nepal.
But mostly used in the ATMs as they would charge me for withdrawing cash as my other dc n cc were not able to transact any amount.

And very important they accept Indian cash as well mostly on all stores but the conversion would go high or low.

It's better to take Indian cash from here and change it anywhere in Nepal.
Thank you for this helpful information. I have also found that UPI also works in Nepal.

harshk

TF Buzz
All cards work in Nepal but you cannot use it to settle USD bills. If it is in INR or local currency it will work fine.

Sp4Rx

TF Buzz
All cards work in Nepal but you cannot use it to settle USD bills. If it is in INR or local currency it will work fine.
Today got back from Nepal.
This is the correct info.

Just to add on we can get cash from atm as well but there is a huge charge.

For approx 6.5k inr I had to pay around 400 rupees fees. So use it only when there is an emergency

bugmenot

TF Ace

For approx 6.5k inr I had to pay around 400 rupees fees. So use it only when there is an emergency
Any surcharge levied if swiped on pos machine? Have you seen UPI acceptance?

Sp4Rx

TF Buzz
Any surcharge levied if swiped on pos machine? Have you seen UPI acceptance?
I have fi card which have 0 mark up fees. The exact amount was charged after conversion nothing extra.
Haven't used other cards as they have markup fees

Haven't used UPI, some indian account holders have UPI but I guess it's illegal (not sure).

I have seen this fonepay (https://www.fonepay.com/) QR at many places. But it's not compatible with our UPI apps

harshk

TF Buzz

Yes there is a charge which varies depending on the bank. To avoid this you can easily convert INR (assuming you are carrying it) to NPR from any shopowner/acquaintance in Nepal. The rate is pegged to 1.6NPR/INR and there is no fluctuation akin to USD/HKD

Sp4Rx

TF Buzz
Yes there is a charge which varies depending on the bank. To avoid this you can easily convert INR (assuming you are carrying it) to NPR from any shopowner/acquaintance in Nepal. The rate is pegged to 1.6NPR/INR and there is no fluctuation akin to USD/HKD
I had exhausted my cash that's why need to visit ATM. Anyways in Nepal no need to exchange INR to NPR. Everyone accepts INR unless you are at a remote shop in the mountains.

adikumr

TF Neo
I visited Nepal last month only. My Axis Magnus card did not work over there. Luckily my Diners Black did. Do keep in mind that the Diners network options are very much limited. I'll suggest you carry cash (preferably notes of denomination less than or equal to 100 as 500 Rs. notes are not accepted at local shops)

Sp4Rx

TF Buzz
I visited Nepal last month only. My Axis Magnus card did not work over there. Luckily my Diners Black did. Do keep in mind that the Diners network options are very much limited. I'll suggest you carry cash (preferably notes of denomination less than or equal to 100 as 500 Rs. notes are not accepted at local shops)
I have given 500 notes to shops and taxi as well. I visited nepal around Dec 2022.
At a shop if visa is accepted then the card should work.

I have multiple credit cards but I have used fi money debit card as it has 0 mark up charges.

SoN!c

TF Select
VIP Lounge
Same case here, Magnus didn't work, inspite of me calling customer care and informing that I will be travelling to Nepal. Cust Care had confirmed that they would ensure that transactions would not be blocked, I tried swiping my card at 3-4 different places the card was always declined. StanC Ultimate, DCB and Amex Platinum worked though.

dishank_24

TF Buzz
VIP Lounge
Any updates on Magnus working in Nepal. I am planning Everest Base Camp this month end. If it does not what do you recommend carrying, INR or USD?

#aniket

TF Ace

Mostly all visa and mastercard network international transaction enabled card will work on every ATM. Note, there's always an exception. However, Rupay will work in Nepal SBI.

It would be better if you use SBI Card in Nepal SBI ATM, in the same way PNB card in Everest Bank ATM for convenience and low charges.

Summary: Nepal SBI ATM>Everest ATM> Other Banks ATM for withdrawal

Last edited:

dmittal

TF Buzz
Mostly all visa and mastercard network card will work on every ATM. Note, there's always an exception. However, Rupay will work in Nepal SBI.

It would be better if you use SBI Card in Nepal SBI ATM, in the same way PNB card in Everest Bank ATM for convenience and low charges.

Summary: Nepal SBI ATM>Everest ATM> Other Banks ATM for withdrawal
To add to this, also be aware of ATM withdrawal charges. It could be anywhere from 200-500 NPR.

Source: I'm from Nepal

#aniket

TF Ace
To add to this, also be aware of ATM withdrawal charges. It could be anywhere from 200-500 NPR.

Source: I'm from Nepal
So let me add one more thing, the convenience/ service/ cash withdrawal charge would be levied 200-500 depending on the bank ATM, no matter how much the amount is withdrawn.

Best alternative is to use SBI Card in Nepal SBI ATM for minimum charges. Secondly, if it's not possible then use PNB card in Everest Bank's ATM.

One more thing, one can withdraw usually in the denomination/ multiple of Rs. 500, it will be written on the ATM screen as well when the option to enter PIN is given but somewhere it can be restricted of the multiple of Rs.1000.

For example, you can withdraw Rs.500 or Rs. 1000 or Rs. 1500 or Rs. 2000 .... but not Rs. 600, 7000, 8000, 1600....

Last edited:

connection01

TF Buzz
I just came back from Nepal trip a wekk ago.
Exchange cash before entering Nepal or in the Bus they offer conversion rate of 1.6

If you missed this then withdrawing cash from ATM is very expensive.
You will be given 1.5 excahnge rate and NPR 500 for every withdrawal plus some additional withdrawal charges of 200-300 will be charged.
If you have a Forex card use that for payments everywhere where it's accepted. (though very few restaurants / hotels will accept it and even if they accept they will ask you to pay 3% extra)

#aniket

TF Ace
If you missed this then withdrawing cash from ATM is very expensive.
You will be given 1.5 excahnge rate and NPR 500 for every withdrawal plus some additional withdrawal charges of 200-300 will be charged.
If you have a Forex card use that for payments everywhere where it's accepted. (though very few restaurants / hotels will accept it and even if they accept they will ask you to pay 3% extra)
Totally wrong as per me. You could have taken SBI Card with you or if not atleast PNB. Even SBI Rupay Global Card works in NSBL's (Nepal SBI) ATM. The exchange rate is 1.6 not 1.5.

Also, per transaction fees is just INR 125, whether you withdraw NPR 16000 or 500, doesn't matter, when you use SBI Card in NSBL ATM.

On using different bank's Dr. card (Visa/MasterCard), you may be charged NPR 500 (INR 312.50), which will be clearly mentioned before disbursement of the Cash on the screen.

Not only this, you could have used you Phonepe or BHIM to scan and pay to Nepalese Merchant easily.

Why to use forex card, even though it's clearly mentioned, Not Valid for Payment in Foreign Exchange in Nepal and Bhutan as back side of your card? Just use your Visa/ MasterCard to swipe & Tap to Pay, but make sure it is enabled for international & contactless transactions.

Card is widely accepted in big hotels, restaurants, malls, shops in Cities like, Kathmandu, Pokhara & others.

P.S: Attach required photos, screenshots as a supporting documents before putting it up that the exchange rate is 1.5 and charge is NPR 500+ 200-300 and other said details. Then, I will prove you wrong. 💀😂
Composer Kuch Bhi GIF by SudeepAudio

Last edited:

connection01

TF Buzz
Totally wrong as per me. You could have taken SBI Card with you or if not atleast PNB. Even SBI Rupay Global Card works in NSBL's (Nepal SBI) ATM. The exchange rate is 1.6 not 1.5.

Also, per transaction fees is just INR 125, whether you withdraw NPR 16000 or 500, doesn't matter, when you use SBI Card in NSBL ATM.

On using different bank's Dr. card (Visa/MasterCard), you may be charged NPR 500 (INR 312.50), which will be clearly mentioned before disbursement of the Cash on the screen.

Not only this, you could have used you Phonepe or BHIM to scan and pay to Nepalese Merchant easily.

Why to use forex card, even though it's clearly mentioned, Not Valid for Payment in Foreign Exchange in Nepal and Bhutan as back side of your card? Just use your Visa/ MasterCard to swipe & Tap to Pay, but make sure it is enabled for international & contactless transactions.

Card is widely accepted in big hotels, restaurants, malls, shops in Cities like, Kathmandu, Pokhara & others.

P.S: Attach required photos, screenshots as a supporting documents before putting it up that the exchange rate is 1.5 and charge is NPR 500+ 200-300 and other said details. Then, I will prove you wrong. 💀😂
Composer Kuch Bhi GIF by SudeepAudio
I recently came back from a trip to Nepal, just 15 days ago, and I've been sharing my experiences. While my bank statements confirm the exchange rate provided by SBI was 1.5, why is it that you don't need to provide evidence of the 1.6 rate screenshot, yet still claim I'm mistaken?
Go on the ground and try to use the debit / credit card all shops / hostels will ask you to pay 3% extra when you say you want to pay with card except if you are staying in 5 star.
Please attach documents to prove me wrong.