• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

What card will work while visiting Nepal from India?

connection01

TF Buzz
Also the UPI does not work with nepal QR codes yet, it's advertised as it's rolled out but the transactions always fails or does not even recognise their QR code.

#aniket

TF Ace
I recently came back from a trip to Nepal, just 15 days ago, and I've been sharing my experiences. While my bank statements confirm the exchange rate provided by SBI was 1.5,
@connection01 , if your bank statement confirm the exchange rate of 1.5, then why haven't you uploaded the same even though I had asked to share supporting documents.
why is it that you don't need to provide evidence of the 1.6 rate screenshot, yet still claim I'm mistaken?
Because I have had raised a question to you firstly to share the screenshot of that txn, including the amount you had withdrawn in NPR.
Go on the ground and try to use the debit / credit card all shops / hostels will ask you to pay 3% extra when you say you want to pay with card except if you are staying in 5 star.
Please attach documents to prove me wrong.
Bro earlier you had mentioned that you had used forex card. What you expect from the small merchants? Do every merchant here in India accept payment through card? They do prefer payment through UPI only because of zero MDR. Likewise, in Nepal also, payment through scan and pay cost 0 to customer and merchant.

Not only 5 Star hotel, even big malls, big restaurants accept the card easily without any additional charges to their customers.
If you have a Forex card use that for payments everywhere where it's accepted. (though very few restaurants / hotels will accept it and even if they accept they will ask you to pay 3% extra)
Not only this, you shared you was charged NPR 500 + 200-300 extra, which is insane. How you got charged thus much, where you were supposed to get charged ₹125 or max ₹150 on using SBI Card on NSBL ATM's. Better to attach the proof for the same also.
If you missed this then withdrawing cash from ATM is very expensive.
You will be given 1.5 excahnge rate and NPR 500 for every withdrawal plus some additional withdrawal charges of 200-300 will be charged.
P.S: @dmittal Enlighten him, lil bit 😂

#aniket

TF Ace
Also the UPI does not work with nepal QR codes yet, it's advertised as it's rolled out but the transactions always fails or does not even recognise their QR code.
Yes it's not completely integrated with the apps like BHIM or Gpay. But it does work almost every time with Phonepay app of India, if you're scanning Fonepay QR of Nepal, make sure UPI global/ international is activated in your supportable bank's and even location if required.

ygerb8t9s

TF Neo
Totally wrong as per me. You could have taken SBI Card with you or if not atleast PNB. Even SBI Rupay Global Card works in NSBL's (Nepal SBI) ATM. The exchange rate is 1.6 not 1.5.

Also, per transaction fees is just INR 125, whether you withdraw NPR 16000 or 500, doesn't matter, when you use SBI Card in NSBL ATM.

On using different bank's Dr. card (Visa/MasterCard), you may be charged NPR 500 (INR 312.50), which will be clearly mentioned before disbursement of the Cash on the screen.

Not only this, you could have used you Phonepe or BHIM to scan and pay to Nepalese Merchant easily.

Why to use forex card, even though it's clearly mentioned, Not Valid for Payment in Foreign Exchange in Nepal and Bhutan as back side of your card? Just use your Visa/ MasterCard to swipe & Tap to Pay, but make sure it is enabled for international & contactless transactions.

Card is widely accepted in big hotels, restaurants, malls, shops in Cities like, Kathmandu, Pokhara & others.

P.S: Attach required photos, screenshots as a supporting documents before putting it up that the exchange rate is 1.5 and charge is NPR 500+ 200-300 and other said details. Then, I will prove you wrong. 💀😂
Composer Kuch Bhi GIF by SudeepAudio
On Nepal SBI website, it says that using international cards in Nepal SBI ATM incurs a fee of NPR 500 and withdrawal limit per transaction is NPR 20000.

Are you sure using Indian SBI debit cards in Nepal SBI ATM incurs fee of just INR 125?

Here are some tips that you can follow:
1. You can withdraw cash in India Side of border ATM (try to do at airport or railway station) and when u cross nepal there are some shops which can exchange INR for Nepali Rupee so u can convert their (they should give 1.6 NPR for every 1INR
2. Legally INR cash upto 100 is allowed but people cary & use cash of 500 denomination
3. INR acceptance shouldn’t be a problem except in hilly areas
4. If you want to exchange extra INR cash you can go to petrolpumps & ask for NPR they will easily convert in 1.6x rate as INR is in demand right now in Nepal
5. Use BHIM app if you are trying to use UPI (Currently accepted in esewa QR again depends on merchants as mechants are charged 1.9% for UPI payments.
6. Amex card would work in Himalayan Bank POS mostly
7. Rupay cards/Diners/ Discover would work in SBI POS
8. In Nepal, u can get sim from Ncell (if u are staying cities) & NTC (if going to remote areas as they have higher coverage)
9. You can buy Jio’s Wifi Calling Roaming pack in addition as call rates on WiFi is just 1rs.
10. Dont take too much NPR as if you want to convert the exchange rate may not be favourable
11. For POS payments use INR/NPR as USD would not work in Nepal

Last edited:

Vasuki

TF Pioneer
Contributor
RML Group
VIP Lounge
1. You can withdraw cash in India Side of border ATM (try to do at airport or railway station) and when u cross nepal there are some shops which can exchange INR for Nepali Rupee so u can convert their (they should give 1.6 NPR for every 1INR
2. Legally INR cash upto 200 is allowed but people cary & use cash of 500 denomination
4. If you want to exchange extra INR cash you can go to petrolpumps & ask for NPR they will easily convert in 1.6x rate as INR is in demand right now in Nepal
5. Use BHIM app if you are trying to use UPI (Currently accepted in esewa QR again depends on merchants as mechants are charged 1.9% for UPI payments.
8. In Nepal, u can get sim from Ncell (if u are staying cities) & NTC (if going to remote areas as they have higher coverage)
9. You can buy Jio’s Wifi Calling Roaming pack in addition as call rates on WiFi is just 1rs.
10. Dont take too much NPR as if you want to convert the exchange rate may not be favourable
Good comprehensive answer ⭐

#aniket

TF Ace
On Nepal SBI website, it says that using international cards in Nepal SBI ATM incurs a fee of NPR 500 and withdrawal limit per transaction is NPR 20000.

Yes, it is displayed on screen, generally applicable for other banks' card.

But don't worry, you won't be charged NPR 500 when you use SBI Card in Nepal SBI ATM, I have had already mentioned the same.
Are you sure using Indian SBI debit cards in Nepal SBI ATM incurs fee of just INR 125?
Yes, bro, only INR 125.

Max in any scenario INR 150.

Vasuki

TF Pioneer
Contributor
RML Group
VIP Lounge

But don't worry, you won't be charged NPR 500 when you use SBI Card in Nepal SBI ATM, I have had already mentioned the same.

Yes, bro, only INR 125.

Nepal m kuch jugaad hoga kya

Yes, bro, only INR 125.

but it says 500 in nepal sbi website

IMG_3121.jpeg

#aniket

TF Ace
2. Legally INR cash upto 200 is allowed but people cary & use cash of 500 denomination
Few corrections need to be made:

1) Yes, there are few authorised shops/agencies which deal in currency exchange, INR to NPR and vice versa, they might charge some commission or deny to exchange 1 INR = 1.6 NPR. So, kindly investigate, through which way (border) you're entering with.

2) INR 200 currency notes are also not a legal tender in Nepal. For such restrictions, India is responsible.