• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

What is the best mode to carry currency to bali?

Batmanbaba

TF Legend
I recommend hop money app they give sbm bank wealth management account that too in zero balance with zero Forex charges plus unlimited domestic atm withdrawals 😍
I have created hop money account... Now how to get this sbm wealth management account...???

CMG

TF Ace
TF Family
VIP Lounge
I have created hop money account... Now how to get this sbm wealth management account...???
You can have sbm account and use sbm bank app by registering on https://www.sbmbank.co.in/
Works with Indmoney account, Tripmoney account, Niyo Global
If you have onecard FD account, that too will show up in the sbm app. You can transfer funds between these accounts too.

Last edited:

Batmanbaba

TF Legend
You can have sbm account and use sbm bank app by registering on sbmindia.co.in
Works with Indmoney account, Tripmoney account, Niyo Global
If you have onecard FD account, that too will show up in the sbm app. You can transfer funds between these accounts too.
Ok... And what about wealth management account.... Where to open it now..?

Batman

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Hi ,

I will be visiting Bali this september. I am trying to find the best way/method to handle expenses in this international trip.

I found the following ways, please suggest the best option based on your travel knowledge.

1. Carrying USD from India. But i am not able to find the best way to get USD cash in India. Need suggestions here.

2. Niyo Global Card. Need your expert reviews or suggestions on this.

3. Any Forex cards.

Looking for some smart and innovative suggestions here.

Thanks.
:)
Hey Anand, all the best for your trip.
I'm planning to do workation in Indonesia as well, for about a month, between ~20 Sep to ~15 Oct.

I have the Niyo Global card, plan to use the same. Do you mind sharing a few details on your plans there - travel destinations etc? I'll take suggestions and improve my itinerary.

bigJ89

TF Buzz
Hi. I'm going to Thailand next month. Can I buy currency notes on bookmyforex with credit card? Do they charge extra for credit cards? And would it be considered as a cash withdrawal transaction from the bank? In that case bank will charge interest immediately?
Thank you.

anandkk

TF Buzz
VIP Lounge
Hi. I'm going to Thailand next month. Can I buy currency notes on bookmyforex with credit card? Do they charge extra for credit cards? And would it be considered as a cash withdrawal transaction from the bank? In that case bank will charge interest immediately?
Thank you.
Best is to use your Ni yo Global card buddy

vprajnya

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Thank you.
I dont think you can buy forex cash thru your credit card.
Convert only a minimum amount into USD in India, later withdraw cash using your debit card.
Use credit cards where ever they accept it.

I would suggest to buy currency notes only if you have hard cash in hand.

Tejas

TF Premier
Airmiles Expert
Credit Card Expert
I dont think you can buy forex cash thru your credit card.
Convert only a minimum amount into USD in India, later withdraw cash using your debit card.
Use credit cards where ever they accept it.

I would suggest to buy currency notes only if you have hard cash in hand.
You can buy Forex (Currency Notes) with Credit Card. Just that BookMyForex doesnt have the option enabled. I bought Currency Notes using CC during my travel to Bali in May 2022.

vprajnya

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
You can buy Forex (Currency Notes) with Credit Card. Just that BookMyForex doesnt have the option enabled. I bought Currency Notes using CC during my travel to Bali in May 2022.
Can you share the website where you did the transaction?
Thanks.

bigJ89

TF Buzz
Best is to use your Ni yo Global card buddy
Thanks for the reply guys. Does niyo global provide same exchange rate for atm withdrawal and pos transactions?
I'm planning to withdraw all the money required at once. So the charges I have to pay would be 500 Rs (thai bank charges) + 100 Rs (niyo global charges).

The only thing I'm wondering whether exchange rate at atm in thailand is as good as exchange rate at any other place in thailand?

And which option is cheaper? Carrying USD to Thailand and exchanging as required or using niyo global to withdraw thai baht at one go ?
And is there any upper limit for withdrawal at atm?
Thank you.

jack333

TF Legend
Contributor
VIP Lounge
Which one is better indusind signature exclusive debit card or niyo global card?

gurbina

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Do forex cards charge TCS while charging it even when below 7L? The rates seem to be higher than Visa/Mastercard exchange rates.

Whenever I pay with debit cards I get charged TCS 5% plus any other applicable charges (like FX markup fees + tax).

As per my understanding TCS it's charged always (even when you haven't exceeded 7L limit per year) and you can claim these back when filing taxes.

How about when buying foreign currency though Thomas Cook as cash? Is TCS charged?

If not the best might be a credit card with no markup fees and no withdrawal fees hopefully with branches in the country like SCB, DBS, Citi, HSBC, etc. and the Visa FX rates are still better than the rest

Last edited: