• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

What is the best mode to carry currency to bali?

anuragnirmal

TF Buzz
VIP Lounge
niyo card will offer the visa global and transparent usd to inr exchange rates. there is extra fees charges. this is because niyo act like a bank account or a debit card, there is no credit given to the customer, you are spending your own money.

avishj

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Which one is better indusind signature exclusive debit card or niyo global card?
Niyo is better in some ways as it doesn't charge TCS till 7L is reached, but sometimes it has down times (they do inform somewhat in advance). IndusInd charges 5% TCS from the start I believe.

avishj

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Do forex cards charge TCS while charging it even when below 7L? The rates seem to be higher than Visa/Mastercard exchange rates.

Whenever I pay with debit cards I get charged TCS 5% plus any other applicable charges (like FX markup fees + tax).

As per my understanding TCS it's charged always (even when you haven't exceeded 7L limit per year) and you can claim these back when filing taxes.

How about when buying foreign currency though Thomas Cook as cash? Is TCS charged?

If not the best might be a credit card with no markup fees and no withdrawal fees hopefully with branches in the country like SCB, DBS, Citi, HSBC, etc. and the Visa FX rates are still better than the rest
Not all debit cards charge below 7L, Niyo doesn't. IndusInd does I believe. And yes this is all claimable during filing taxes.

jack333

TF Legend
Contributor
VIP Lounge
Mastercard variant of indusind exclusive debit card has better conversion rates than visa variant. Does niyo global come in mastercard?

avishj

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Mastercard variant of indusind exclusive debit card has better conversion rates than visa variant. Does niyo global come in mastercard?
Yes MC has better rates in general. Niyo doesn't come in MC, earlier they had a DC, now only Visa.

jack333

TF Legend
Contributor
VIP Lounge
Any disadvantage of getting TCS deducted and then claiming refund later? Why do they even deduct it as we are already getting income tax deducted?

avishj

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Any disadvantage of getting TCS deducted and then claiming refund later? Why do they even deduct it as we are already getting income tax deducted?
No disadvantage except you lose that money's interest or liquidity till the refund time comes. They deduct it for everyone, cause not everyone pays taxes, and this is a way to motivate people who don't pay tax or file returns to pay it or lose the 5%.

jack333

TF Legend
Contributor
VIP Lounge
Thanks for the info. Didn't know the reason. What's the minimum transaction amount on which TCS is deducted?

avishj

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Thanks for the info. Didn't know the reason. What's the minimum transaction amount on which TCS is deducted?
I don't think there is any minimum amount for a specific transaction. 7L is the official government limit above which TCS should be charged.

Harry1

TF Legend
VIP Lounge
Hi. I'm going to Thailand next month. Can I buy currency notes on bookmyforex with credit card? Do they charge extra for credit cards? And would it be considered as a cash withdrawal transaction from the bank? In that case bank will charge interest immediately?
Thank you.
Did u try it? Does sbi cashback card give 5% on it?

yaathran

TF Select
Niyo is better in some ways as it doesn't charge TCS till 7L is reached, but sometimes it has down times (they do inform somewhat in advance). IndusInd charges 5% TCS from the start I believe.
No. I have used IndusInd debit cards multiple times out of India. Until you reach 7L, they won't deduct extra. The message might say inclusive of TCS but it's not included until you reach 7L.

yaathran

TF Select
Hi ,

I will be visiting Bali this september. I am trying to find the best way/method to handle expenses in this international trip.

I found the following ways, please suggest the best option based on your travel knowledge.

1. Carrying USD from India. But i am not able to find the best way to get USD cash in India. Need suggestions here.

2. Niyo Global Card. Need your expert reviews or suggestions on this.

3. Any Forex cards.

Looking for some smart and innovative suggestions here.

Thanks.
:)
I have travelled to Indonesia multiple times. Indonesia is still a cash dominant economy. I would recommend you withdraw cash using cards like Niyo Global or IndusInd Exclusive / Pioneer debit cards (Best). Many ATMs in Indonesia doesn't charge ATM Access fee, you can withdraw cash for free any number of times if you use cards like IndusInd Exclusive / Pioneer debit cards.

gurbina

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
No. I have used IndusInd debit cards multiple times out of India. Until you reach 7L, they won't deduct extra. The message might say inclusive of TCS but it's not included until you reach 7L.
That might be incorrect as it is 7L per individual, not per bank, not per card, not per anything else. Banks don't know how much you have spend elsewhere, there's no way for them to know, hence why most banks charge it upfront.
Not sure what's RBI regulation as to whom is liable for it, but considering nearly all banks are doing it I'd reckon they're mandated to do it or "highly advised" to deduct TCS on such transactions.
I don't think there's any benefits for them on doing it, it's just more overhead to them with no apparent gain.

TCS I've only seen it applied to debit cards, not credit/charge cards. Not sure what's the case on Niyo and other forex cards but still I'm under the impression they charge TCS at the time of reload.

yaathran

TF Select
Can you
That might be incorrect as it is 7L per individual, not per bank, not per card, not per anything else. Banks don't know how much you have spend elsewhere, there's no way for them to know, hence why most banks charge it upfront.
Not sure what's RBI regulation as to whom is liable for it, but considering nearly all banks are doing it I'd reckon they're mandated to do it or "highly advised" to deduct TCS on such transactions.

TCS I've only seen it applied to debit cards, not credit/charge cards. Not sure what's the case on Niyo and other forex cards but still I'm under the impression they charge TCS at the time of reload.
Can you tell me which banks charged you up front? I have used my IndusInd exclusive debit card in Malaysia, Singapore, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Sri Lanka and Phillipines in the last 2 months. I was not charged any TCS.

gurbina

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Can you

Can you tell me which banks charged you up front? I have used my IndusInd exclusive debit card in Malaysia, Singapore, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Sri Lanka and Phillipines in the last 2 months. I was not charged any TCS.
DBS, Standard Chartered and SBI now. I'm usually using credit card exclusively for anything overseas so hard to tell in other banks, but SC and DBS for sure they deduct it upfront.

Look at this:

It says it only applies on amounts exceeding 7L but yes, it's not clear about the practice of charging upfront or only above 7L as per their records.

But it's clear forex and debit cards will incur TCS so I don't see a point of using such cards unless they save me something upfront. The charges on forex markup is higher on debit cards and not much rewards, plus it's your own money and card linked to your bank account that you're risking so I wouldn't use these debit cards, let alone overseas.

I did argue with DBS as to why, they say it's as per RBI guidelines and they won't remove it. Later on I got clarification from elsewhere that virtually everyone is unable to check this against a PAN card hence they'll charge upfront. They do provide the documents to claim this back later on.

Last edited:

yaathran

TF Select
DBS, Standard Chartered and SBI now. I'm usually using credit card exclusively for anything overseas so hard to tell in other banks, but SC and DBS for sure they deduct it upfront.

Look at this:

It says it only applies on amounts exceeding 7L but yes, it's not clear about the practice of charging upfront or only above 7L as per their records.

I did argue with DBS as to why, they say it's as per RBI guidelines and they won't remove it. Later on I got clarification from elsewhere that virtually everyone is unable to check this against a PAN card hence they'll charge upfront. They do provide the documents to claim this back later on.
I think not every bank does it. Ideally they are not allowed to deduct TCS unless your spends via that bank exceeds 7 Lakhs. You can raise complaint with RBI Ombudsman to come to a conclusion with specific bank.

gurbina

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
I think not every bank does it. Ideally they are not allowed to deduct TCS unless your spends via that bank exceeds 7 Lakhs. You can raise complaint with RBI Ombudsman to come to a conclusion with specific bank.
No point at this time, I wouldn't use the debit card for any foreign transactions.

But the argument made that is on per PAN card/individual is valid. They can't see how much of the 7L is used by any individual via other banks/channels and their tax liability therefore it's charged upfront.

Citibank makes this very clear

Screenshot_20230209_201658_Firefox.jpg

All transactions made via debit card will always incur into TCS.

ICICI mentions this is only applicable to 7L through all channels in their bank
5% Tax Collection at Source (TCS) is applicable for the Resident Individual on ICICI Bank Debit Card for transactions aggregating to Rs 7 lakh or more (across all channels within bank) in a financial year, under the Liberalised Remittances Scheme (LRS).

I guess it will vary from bank to bank.

Shows how well this government thought this thorugh, as usual, super consistent, no gray areas, everyone knows how it needs to be done and nobody has doubts about it. /s

But foreign banks seem to play it on the safe side, to be compliant. I have cards in both Indian and foreign banks, I've had issues multiple times due to compliance like converting accounts accordingly as per your tax residence. Standard Chartered and DBS froze my accounts several times now due to things like that.

Last edited:

vikramsri

TF Neo
Some cash in USD which would be converted to IDR for emergency.
Cash required -> ATM withdrawal with Indusind Exclusive Visa Signature debit card. (0% Forex markup)
POS Payments -> Standard Charterd Ultimate Visa Infinite CC (Effective reward rate of 1.14)
Duty Free Payments -> Standard Charterd Ultimate Visa Infinite CC (5 x 3.33 % reward rate)

naraykln

TF Buzz
This is what I did for 1 week stay. I booked accommodation, Waterbom theme park, telega waja river rafting, entire benoa beach activities, sim with data for a week/month picked up at airport. And rental bike as well by reputed company to be ready at hotel. Prebooked cab airport to hotel. Then carried dollars. Bookmyforex has tieups. Went straight to ubud and made conversion.