• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

US credit card suggestions

vijay15

TF Buzz
RML Group
Hi All,

I will be moving shortly to US on a job. Need suggestions primarily on following

1. Which credit card in US to start with and what are the best cards to get (so that I can focus on them instead of getting other cards)

2. How to keep my Indian credit cards active and use from there as keeping Indian mobile number might not be possible for long. Are there any long-term international packs with less charges from any operator.

Request to share your suggestions

ak93

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Hi All,

I will be moving shortly to US on a job. Need suggestions primarily on following

1. Which credit card in US to start with and what are the best cards to get (so that I can focus on them instead of getting other cards)

2. How to keep my Indian credit cards active and use from there as keeping Indian mobile number might not be possible for long. Are there any long-term international packs with less charges from any operator.

Request to share your suggestions
You can start with discover it card. No credit history needed for getting it and you get 5% cashback for certain categories every quarter. Also will get extra cashback at the end of first year as Discover will match whatever cashback you earned in the year. So if you earned $100 cashback in the first year, you will get $100 extra at the end of the year.

Capital one quicksilver is another card which gives 1.5% on all spends.

Most of cards have good joining bonus like $200 if you spend certain amount in a month. You can check those as well.

vijay15

TF Buzz
RML Group
You can start with discover it card. No credit history needed for getting it and you get 5% cashback for certain categories every quarter. Also will get extra cashback at the end of first year as Discover will match whatever cashback you earned in the year. So if you earned $100 cashback in the first year, you will get $100 extra at the end of the year.

Capital one quicksilver is another card which gives 1.5% on all spends.

Most of cards have good joining bonus like $200 if you spend certain amount in a month. You can check those as well.
Thank you for the specific suggestions. Will certainly look into the cards.

mastfun

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Capitalone Venture X :) It has become my favo card !!

Let me know if u wanna get referal! They have 95000 points on the spend of 4000 in 3 months!

coolguy1

TF Ace
Contributor
VIP Lounge
It will take you a little while to get your SSN and other details before you can apply for your first credit card since you don't have any credit history in US.

But if you have an Amex card in India, you can directly apply for an Amex card in the US and your Indian credit history will be used and approved.
That's the perk of owning a global credit card, not just US but you can move to any new country and transfer your credit history there.

vijay15

TF Buzz
RML Group
Capitalone Venture X :) It has become my favo card !!

Let me know if u wanna get referal! They have 95000 points on the spend of 4000 in 3 months!
Thanks for the recomendation. Not yet moved to US. Might take 1 or 2 months. Will take your referral when I apply.

vijay15

TF Buzz
RML Group
It will take you a little while to get your SSN and other details before you can apply for your first credit card since you don't have any credit history in US.

But if you have an Amex card in India, you can directly apply for an Amex card in the US and your Indian credit history will be used and approved.
That's the perk of owning a global credit card, not just US but you can move to any new country and transfer your credit history there.
Thanks for inputs. Very helpful. Have all indian Amex cards and recently plat charge card got approved. What would be the best card to take from Amex US. Primarily looking for cards with good sign up bonus of miles.

vijay15

TF Buzz
RML Group
Airtel prepaid IR is much cheaper than postpaid IR. Convert and enjoy.
Yes. Looking at 2997 plan with validity of 365 days. The plan mentions 100 mins voice calls and 20 SMS. It is clear that voice calls include both incoming and outgoing. Any idea if SMS will include incoming SMS? If there is no limit on incoming SMS, this plan will serve the purpose for receiving OTPs.

iNokia

TF Premier
Incoming sms works without ir also.
Just a normal recharge for validity purposes is needed. Although i recommend a 10 day ir pack for smooth operations at the beginning. After that no need.

vijay15

TF Buzz
RML Group
Incoming sms works without ir also.
Just a normal recharge for validity purposes is needed. Although i recommend a 10 day ir pack for smooth operations at the beginning. After that no need.
Thanks for clearing the doubt. Was confused about this. Now, got clarity.

srikbs8095

TF Buzz
VIP Lounge
Here's how my cc history had been (and also many of my friends):
1. Discover
2. Chase Freeodm Unlimited
3. Amex Gold
4. Chase Sapphire Reserve

IMO, Amex Platinum in the US is overrated since many outlets don't accept Amex straight up.

Chase Sapphire Reserve is the gold standard for luxury in the US if you care about ROI.