• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Upgrade Your Amex Card and Get 1,35,000 MR Points

coolguy1

TF Ace
Contributor
VIP Lounge
Amex plans to start 2024 with a grand reward of 1,35,000 MR points when upgrading to a Platinum Charge card.

Users currently holding Amex Platinum Travel, Amex Platinum Reserve and Amex Gold Charge card are getting these offers.
You can see it in the app, refer to the screenshots attached below.

For the heavy spenders, this is a great deal since you get multiple loyal hotel loyal memberships and do anything concierge service.

If you don't spend a lot of money but feel the points can help, you can still upgrade for the points.

If you don't need the points, you can get the Amex Platinum Travel or the Amex MRCC card which remains the best card for monthly spends between 6K-40K.

T&C: https://www.americanexpress.com/con...ts/IA_New_Plat_RCP_Upgrade_Q1_2024_MT_TnC.pdf

Attachments

• IMG_6854.PNG
    IMG_6854.PNG
    52 KB · Views: 633
  • IMG_6855.PNG
    IMG_6855.PNG
    60.1 KB · Views: 635

bvc19296

TF Legend
TF Family
Contributor
VIP Lounge
Is it possible to get the upgrade using the upgrade link received over email by someone else? Or is the link locked to their respective cards?

I am genuinely interested in getting Platinum Charge card. Infact had tagged the Amex sales persons here multiple times to help with C2C but I was not worthy enough to get his response. Ended up applying directly online and instantly rejected without reason.

So want to see if I can get the card through this upgrade route (i have not received any upgrade offer as yet).
1704434300235.png

LordVoldemort

TF Select
RML Group
VIP Lounge
Any high spenders who did not get this offer. I have a Gold charge with regular average spends of around 1.5L, Waiting for an offer to upgrade for the points. No luck this time.

bvc19296

TF Legend
TF Family
Contributor
VIP Lounge
breakfast is not included in marriot point room bookings
Yes, but 60-70% of properties will accept complimentary breakfast on request with chat before 2 days of check-in.

Accepted request at:

1. Westin Hyderabad
2. Westin Rishikesh
3. Four Points Mahabalipuram
4. ITC Kakatiya, Hyd
5. ITC Chola, Chennai

Not accepted at:

1. Westin Chennai
2. Sheraton Mahabalipuram

So, depends on the property and luck.

coolguy1

TF Ace
Contributor
VIP Lounge
Yes, but 60-70% of properties will accept complimentary breakfast on request with chat before 2 days of check-in.

Accepted request at:

1. Westin Hyderabad
2. Westin Rishikesh
3. Four Points Mahabalipuram
4. ITC Kakatiya, Hyd
5. ITC Chola, Chennai

Not accepted at:

1. Westin Chennai
2. Sheraton Mahabalipuram

So, depends on the property and luck.
Also, I believe holding the Marriott Gold membership will also make it easier to get this in some way.

Sohmel

TF Select
You can hold 2 credit cards and 2 charge card , I am having 4 Amex cards so that holds true
But unlike Icici, when you upgrade your card in Amex the upgraded card gets closed and new card is generated with same card number , CVV as that of your upgraded card.
Brother, I've seen you've done some great research on this.

Could you guide me on 2 points?

1. I have received the offer on my Platinum Travel account (Will my Plat Travel close? I also have Gold Charge and MRCC but have not received an offer there)

2. The terms and conditions say it will make a separate Platinum account (new login I am guessing), so will I not be able to club my points? I am asking because if I'm taking this card just for the welcome benefit - I will have to use the points in 1 year, as I will be closing the account next year without the 135k bonus points.

1704458404447.png

Please do let me know.

anirban.choudhury

TF Legend
TF Family
VIP Lounge

1. I have received the offer on my Platinum Travel account (Will my Plat Travel close? I also have Gold Charge and MRCC but have not received an offer there)

2. The terms and conditions say it will make a separate Platinum account (new login I am guessing), so will I not be able to club my points? I am asking because if I'm taking this card just for the welcome benefit - I will have to use the points in 1 year, as I will be closing the account next year without the 135k bonus points.

1704458404447.png

Please do let me know.
As per my knowledge , when you upgrade a card in Amex , same card number is issued to the new card and the old card gets closed, this is true for my few of my known user experiences , but in their case the card upgrade was always gold charge, none of them used plat travel for upgrade.
But here few have mentioned that their plat travel was upgraded and new card with new details was generated and their plat travel remained active so I assume that card closure only happen for gold charge upgrades.

To confirm this just use the amex chat support and check with them , what would happen to your plat travel if you upgrade it to platinum charge

bvc19296

TF Legend
TF Family
Contributor
VIP Lounge
As per my knowledge , when you upgrade a card in Amex , same card number is issued to the new card and the old card gets closed, this is true for my few of my known user experiences , but in their case the card upgrade was always gold charge, none of them used plat travel for upgrade.
But here few have mentioned that their plat travel was upgraded and new card with new details was generated and their plat travel remained active so I assume that card closure only happen for gold charge upgrades.

To confirm this just use the amex chat support and check with them , what would happen to your plat travel if you upgrade it to platinum charge
Yesterday after our convo, I have discussed with over 4-5 agents on call and twice on chat support all are saying that Plat travel will be de activated and new card will be issued. Whereas @hrish88 has mentioned that his Plat travel is active and Plat Charge got issued.

So it's a different case and needs to be verified depends on each case. @Sohmel

hrish88

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Yesterday after our convo, I have discussed with over 4-5 agents on call and twice on chat support all are saying that Plat travel will be de activated and new card will be issued. Whereas @hrish88 has mentioned that his Plat travel is active and Plat Charge got issued.

So it's a different case and needs to be verified depends on each case. @Sohmel
In my experience chat support guys are not very knowledgeable with upgrades.one you give consent for upgrade then you will receive a call from a different team in few days.you can ask queries to that team.if you are satisfied then you can proceed further.

1) you need to gain give them written consent on the email
2) complete the video KYC.

If you complete the above steps, you will receive the new card in a few days.dont trust the word of customer support.i have told that my plat travel is free as a companion card with plat charge.but i have charged fee at renewal.so its better you have a word with the sales team when they contact you for the upgrade.

hrish88

TF Premier
VIP Lounge

1704458404447.png

Please do let me know.
you dont need to use these points in 1 year.you need to transfer it to FFP or Marriot before closing the card.

AFAIK you don't need to make a separate account. when you receive a new card just add it to your existing Amex account via website or app.

also please read what i mentioned in above post.have a word with sales team.ask them your doubts.

bvc19296

TF Legend
TF Family
Contributor
VIP Lounge
In my experience chat support guys are not very knowledgeable with upgrades.one you give consent for upgrade then you will receive a call from a different team in few days.you can ask queries to that team.if you are satisfied then you can proceed further.

1) you need to gain give them written consent on the email
2) complete the video KYC.

If you complete the above steps, you will receive the new card in a few days.dont trust the word of customer support.i have told that my plat travel is free as a companion card with plat charge.but i have charged fee at renewal.so its better you have a word with the sales team when they contact you for the upgrade.
So even for upgrade VKYC is needed??

Even not as companion card can we hold Plat Travel?? I have been told by all Executives that definitely Plat Travel will be closed.

BTW did you receive your Plat charge card?

hrish88

TF Premier
VIP Lounge

Even not as companion card can we hold Plat Travel?? I have been told by all Executives that definitely Plat Travel will be closed.

yes i am using plat charge from last 12 months.VKYc was required in my case.as i told you have a word with sales team.you can still say no after that.

hrish88

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Some properties they are denying. But I had Silver Membership by then. That's why I mentioned Gold can be useful.
yes it depends on property.Some properties such as St Regis Maldives only allow complimentary breakfast platinum and higher tier.

Ritz carlton Maldives don't give free breakfast to platinum and titanium also.

ALOAK

TF Ace

Yes any upgrade or new application referral application even for supplementary card there is VKYC