• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

OneCard (SBM) FD closed, but card active

krishg

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
I have OneCard metal (SBM secured by FD) for more than 1 year. Now since that is not much of use to me as the occasional offers are already covered by other credit cards, I thought of closing it to unblock my 1 lac FD with less interest rate (since FD is for 1 year always by them, user has no option to change). But instead of reaching support to close it, I thought of doing some experiment. As my purpose was to release the FD with not so famous SBM, but not much of closing the card, I logged in to SBM netbanking and closed the FD. But OneCard is still active or did not receive any notification either it will be closed. Well, at least in app, I did not try any transaction in case they are silently in process of closing it. Wondering if it would get closed automatically after billing cycle or would they silently convert it to unsecured one? ;)

I have OneCard metal (SBM secured by FD) for more than 1 year. Now since that is not much of use to me as the occasional offers are already covered by other credit cards, I thought of closing it to unblock my 1 lac FD with less interest rate (since FD is for 1 year always by them, user has no option to change). But instead of reaching support to close it, I thought of doing some experiment. As my purpose was to release the FD with not so famous SBM, but not much of closing the card, I logged in to SBM netbanking and closed the FD. But OneCard is still active or did not receive any notification either it will be closed. Well, at least in app, I did not try any transaction in case they are silently in process of closing it. Wondering if it would get closed automatically after billing cycle or would they silently convert it to unsecured one? ;)
They may have removed lien from FD. Otherwise you can not close the FD

lucifer

TF Premier
TF Family
VIP Lounge
how much time did it took to transfer the fd back to bank account and do you hold an sbm bank account?

krishg

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Bro if you card keeps working then update us. This is gonna help alot of people who want high limit unsecured cc.
It works till now, but not sure how long!
Now, even if it ends up working for me at the end, this should not be taken as a solution since it may not work for others as their credit score would be different than mine and I already have several other unsecured high limit cards. If someone follows this and their card gets closed, it would be bad for them. I started this thread is as a question in case someone else has similar experience (notice the question mark in the original post :))

Credit Karma

TF Premier
Is your card still active?