• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

MCC for Airbnb bookings

CP24

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Is anyone aware of the Merchant category code(MCC) for Airbnb bookings?

I have to make an international Airbnb booking. So, I was wondering which card should I use for this booking. Booking seems to be in INR even though it is for an international listing, so less likely for it to be an international transaction. Else, Reserve would have been a no brainer.

I have Axis Reserve, Magnus, Amex Plat charge and Citi Premiermiles.

Kenu73

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Is anyone aware of the Merchant category code(MCC) for Airbnb bookings?

I have to make an international Airbnb booking. So, I was wondering which card should I use for this booking. Booking seems to be in INR even though it is for an international listing, so less likely for it to be an international transaction. Else, Reserve would have been a no brainer.

I have Axis Reserve, Magnus, Amex Plat charge and Citi Premiermiles.
Best is Axis Atlas you get 10% airmiles, MCC is for hotels

CP24

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Best is Axis Atlas you get 10% airmiles, MCC is for hotels
Thank you for responding. Are you sure about this?
I did one transaction on AirBnb with Axis Atlas and I received only 2EMs per Rs.100 and not 5EMs.

CP24

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Nice! I got the regular 2EMs only.
There's a slight difference in the transaction name in my case.
For me, it is "Airbnb Payments India PVT, GURGAON, IN" while for you it is "WWWAIRBNBCOM, GURGAON, IN".
My booking was for an Airbnb outside India.
You think that made the difference?

Kenu73

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Nice! I got the regular 2EMs only.
There's a slight difference in the transaction name in my case.
For me, it is "Airbnb Payments India PVT, GURGAON, IN" while for you it is "WWWAIRBNBCOM, GURGAON, IN".
My booking was for an Airbnb outside India.
You think that made the difference?
My both bookings are for Europe. I am not sure if that would make any difference.

CP24

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
O
My both bookings are for Europe. I am not sure if that would make any difference.
Oh. Any idea what could be the difference then? I booked through the airbnb website. Do you think booking via the airbnb app will help?

Kenu73

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
O

Oh. Any idea what could be the difference then? I booked through the airbnb website. Do you think booking via the airbnb app will help?
I made with the app, if you think you received incorrect edge miles, contact Axis. I had first made a booking in India to test if this should be my go to card for all foreign stays and I had hot 5X axis miles . All bookings made through phone app.

There can be a possibility that their phone app has a different payment gateway and the website has different and possibly the website gateway doesn't have an update gateway

CP24

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
I made with the app, if you think you received incorrect edge miles, contact Axis. I had first made a booking in India to test if this should be my go to card for all foreign stays and I had hot 5X axis miles . All bookings made through phone app.

There can be a possibility that their phone app has a different payment gateway and the website has different and possibly the website gateway doesn't have an update gateway
Sure. I have already raised a complaint with Axis. But we all know how Axis operates, so I am not expecting much from that complaint.

I'll use the app for my next booking. Like you mentioned, the payment gateway might be the difference.

By the way, MCC for my airbnb transaction was 4722 which is for travel agencies and tour operators.
Are you aware of the MCC for your airbnb transactions?

Kenu73

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Sure. I have already raised a complaint with Axis. But we all know how Axis operates, so I am not expecting much from that complaint.

I'll use the app for my next booking. Like you mentioned, the payment gateway might be the difference.

By the way, MCC for my airbnb transaction was 4722 which is for travel agencies and tour operators.
Are you aware of the MCC for your airbnb transactions?
Not sure, I didn't bother to check as I got right points every time

Kenu73

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Ya but how to fix this
I have got to known that Airbnb has two MCC'S one is for Hotel and other is for an online travel agent.

WWWAIRBNBCOM,GURGAON,IN - This one fetches 5% miles and its a hotel MCC

Airbnb Payments India PVT,GURGAON,IN- This one fetches 2% miles and its a online travel agent MCC.

I haven't been able to decode how to identify when which mcc is being used while paying because nowadays all the payments just show the Airbnb as merchants name in the payment gateway

In past all the transactions done on adyen gateway (can't see this gateway anymore) fetched 5% miles.

CP24

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
I also got 2em for Airbnb bookings. @ChandanP did it work out for you? I did through the app only for within india
It's a hit-and-miss even on the app. I got 5EMs for some and 2EMs for others. All these transactions were through the app. It's like taking a chance with Atlas.

Kenu73

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
while your otp comes if this shows at the upper corner WWWAIRBNBCOM,GURGAON,IN then proceed else cancel the transaction
Can you share the screenshot where is it? I don't see it

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-07-30-12-45-50-08_2d6e288b86592576bd2b65b14a1fc55b.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-07-30-12-45-50-08_2d6e288b86592576bd2b65b14a1fc55b.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 77
  • Screenshot_2023-07-30-12-45-42-31_2d6e288b86592576bd2b65b14a1fc55b.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-07-30-12-45-42-31_2d6e288b86592576bd2b65b14a1fc55b.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 76