• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Is it worth using gold charge card abroad?

deusest

TF Select
Hello guys,

Soon I’ll be travelling abroad for a considerable period of time and I was debating which cards to carry. So far, I’ve narrowed it down to World safari and Magnus. However, I was wondering if it is worth carrying the gold charge card with me? How’s the reward rate for international spends? Is it worth it to pay 3.5% forex markup? Or should I stick to low forex markup cards?

Thank you

deusest

TF Select
I'm realising Gold Charge is useless tbh. Use any other card with high reward or low markup.

Why pay double down(high markup and no reward).
In India this card is perfect for my needs so I’ll hold on to it for transactions here. For abroad I guess I’ll stick to Magnus or world safari. The only problem with the world safari card is that it’s so boring to use. No incentive to actually make payments and there I only use it for making government payments abroad.

Dhruvit.S

TF Premier
TF Family
In India this card is perfect for my needs so I’ll hold on to it for transactions here. For abroad I guess I’ll stick to Magnus or world safari. The only problem with the world safari card is that it’s so boring to use. No incentive to actually make payments and there I only use it for making government payments abroad.
My World Safari has very low limit :/ As for gold what do you use it for other than 6k/month spends? Where is it so beneficial?

deusest

TF Select
My World Safari has very low limit :/ As for gold what do you use it for other than 6k/month spends? Where is it so beneficial?
I don’t have any fuel specific cards and I have around 30k fuel spends per month along with around 10k of utility spends. That’s where this card comes in handy for me. For online purchases in India, I don’t use American Express apart from 6k monthly spends. After that I switch to my Apay card.

Dhruvit.S

TF Premier
TF Family
I don’t have any fuel specific cards and I have around 30k fuel spends per month along with around 10k of utility spends. That’s where this card comes in handy for me. For online purchases in India, I don’t use American Express apart from 6k monthly spends. After that I switch to my Apay card.
Exactly my point post 6k it's useless. Also what retention offer did u get, if it's not your first year with gold?

deusest

TF Select
Exactly my point post 6k it's useless. Also what retention offer did u get, if it's not your first year with gold?
This is my first year so no experience with that. I have trifecta and for me the reward rate is really good especially considering I have to spend very little to get a decent return on these cards.