• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

[INFO] If you are being denied ICICI LTF Credit Cards, this can be the reason

NOOBY

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
After arguing with ICICI Branch Manager with the threat of closing multiple Salary Accounts at once (we were 5 guys who went to the bank) as we were not getting offered any LTF Credit Cards even after being eligible for them, he asked our RM to tell the "actual" (there is a BIG IF) reason..

According to them, they have separate list of companies for:
1. Salary Account
2. Personal/Home Loans
3. Credit Cards
4. Investment, others

ICICI Internal Department:
They have a Company Relationship department which takes care of company (and their employee) accounts who have tie-ups with ICICI for any salary related queries and adjustments. Each company, when tie-ups with ICICI gets a PPA code (which many may know) and they assign a PPO for any queries/issues related to that company.

The Company RM:
That guy is responsible for adding your company in the given set of lists as per the companies liability, profits etc. As CC is requested by generally every salary holder, they scrutinize the list and keep only "vintage" companies in it. The name seems odd but according to them, company which have higher profits and have longer relationship with ICICI with a good number of salary account holders are added in that list. If you company is in that list, they can give LTF cards without blinking.

Difference in list:
Out of us 5, 2 of us were in same company while others were from a different one. When we checked (in front of him), we got to know that we two were being bombarded with only Loan offers while the other 3 only had Investment offers (not even Loans). He then explained that the PPO had added our company in Salary and Loan list while the other company was added only in Salary and Investment list which is they were not being offered any kind of pre-approved loans (and not CC offers for all 5 of us).

Any Possibility?:
He told us that the only way is to ask your employer to get in touch with the PPO and ask him to add the company to Credit Card list. But there are terms and conditions which your finance teams may or may not agree but other than that, you can not get LTF card directly even if you try to raise this to Grievance Level 3 (which we already did)

How non-Salary Holders get it?
When we asked how people get LTF cards without even having salary accounts, he said "when they submit documents, we check internally whether the company is in the CC vintage list, if its there we approve LTF as we know that the possibility of him being defaulter will be less as he is working in that firm" (I didn't argue that he might leave the company and get into defaulter list :p )

No LTF then?:
He further said "you will be eligible for paid upgrades and you can get that, use it for a year or 2 and then ask for LTF but that's totally based on the conditions and instructions given to the cc team at that point of time". You may get LTF approved or may have to close the CC.

You may get it if ICICI runs some limited period offer on LTF cards for everyone which has some set of rules to be done (just like other banks) in order to get that card converted to LTF

After hearing all this, it atleast made some sense as to why we weren't getting any offers even after having salary account for 4+ years with ICICI.
Hope this helps anyone who is in the same boat as me 🥲

Disclaimer: I just shared my experience, I am not sure what actually happens and how true this is, but this was told by an employee... so that's that 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
I also tried getting the platinum LTF card desperately for few months. Then I came to this conclusion - If you got ICICI Apay Credit card, you should be thankful. Atleast it is LTF and provides 2-5% cashback directly me.
Trick to get platinum card is, first take expression card based on your apay card, use it for 2 or 3 months. Then ask customer care to either close the expression card or issue platinum cc in its place. There's high chances they'll going to issue you platinum card.

I also got the platinum card via this trick. They also reversed the joining fee i paid for expression card.

NOOBY

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
80% post in ICICI Credit Card Section is about ICICI CC being LTF 😖

The ones I visited were complaints (similar to me)

I asked this to Pin because it might help others, who are not getting LTF offers from ICICI... they might understand what the scenario is, as I have tried to explain the criteria which ICICI follows (currently) for giving away LTF cards in the post...

In my view, ICICI's perceived correlation between a customer's employer and their eligibility for a LTF CC is discrimination. Then what's the merit in building a relationship with a bank?
Exactly!!!
This is what our discussion was all about today in the bank... but they couldn't do anything (it was beyond their pay grade)

I beg to differ, our financial system have credit scores and credit reports to asses the risk.
They might have had way too many defaulters when they went through this route..... it is the only possible explanation I can think of

Patil007

TF Ace
Same thing happened to me but at a different time.... CC guy from bank approached me via call and said I am eligible for Coral LTF

I visited the bank, confirmed the same but to my surprise it was HPCL one :D

He was like "ohh, the card says Coral and so I though you would be interested"... Complained to BM that he is fooling customers for achieving his targets by misleading people into thinking its Coral.... He was not in the bank next time I visited :p (He was transferred to some Rural branch, where he could fool better I believe)
That time I didn't knew what is credit card 🤣🤣🤣.

He just said me it is LTF and came along with Salary package, So I took it.

But later it proved very helpful to me as Salary was less and I had to travel for office work, So I paid Hotel, Food bill using CC and reimbursement used to come in Salary at month end 😅

NOOBY

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
I wonder if all the banks put their salary account holders at the least priority. I've seen few members post in this community that they are not getting any free upgrades on CC or account variant despite holding a salary account for reasonably long duration.

ICICI specifically, they know that customers are bound to say with the account until they switch. Instead of saying low priority, the rules for upgrading change from account NRV to company list is what I believe

Collector_sahab

TF Premier
Trick to get platinum card is, first take expression card based on your apay card, use it for 2 or 3 months. Then ask customer care to either close the expression card or issue platinum cc in its place. There's high chances they'll going to issue you platinum card.

I also got the platinum card via this trick. They also reversed the joining fee i paid for expression card.
ICICI doesn't care to loose its CC customers now I guess. Just talked to their cc today and she was ready to close the card at one instant, had my dues been cleared . (Asked for an upgrade from apay, or talk to her senior or the cancellation dept.)
The only way without bloodshed is to get the platinum CC on FD (secured), for apay cc users

NOOBY

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
btw whats in icici cards so special?
nothing, people in this sub-forum i.e. ICICI have mostly 2 issues:
1. No LTF card even after having high MAB savings/salary account (I am one of them)
2. No upgrades or new cards via C2C basis (people being denied Platinum CC too)

ICICI cards are only required when there is some ongoing sale, that's it.... these are not to be used on daily basis

ICICI doesn't care to loose its CC customers now I guess. Just talked to their cc today and she was ready to close the card at one instant, had my dues been cleared . (Asked for an upgrade from apay, or talk to her senior or the cancellation dept.)
The only way without bloodshed is to get the platinum CC on FD (secured), for apay cc users
Yup, more so for co-branded cards.... they might ask why if someone is closing Rubyx or higher... but for Platinum, Apay, etc they won't budge

NewUser

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
I wish the list of companies(for credit cards) was public. There's no way to know if your company's there in the list or you're denied for some other reason.

Patil007

TF Ace
Yes, for ICICI offers Coral or Platinum LTF is required. APay if you have Prime then somehow benefits on Amazon only and 1% on offline that too comes in APay balance.
nothing, people in this sub-forum i.e. ICICI have mostly 2 issues:
1. No LTF card even after having high MAB savings/salary account (I am one of them)
2. No upgrades or new cards via C2C basis (people being denied Platinum CC too)

ICICI cards are only required when there is some ongoing sale, that's it.... these are not to be used on daily basis

Yup, more so for co-branded cards.... they might ask why if someone is closing Rubyx or higher... but for Platinum, Apay, etc they won't budge

NOOBY

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
I wish the list of companies(for credit cards) was public. There's no way to know if your company's there in the list or you're denied for some other reason.
Yeah... they might hide it because, if its made public... people might just apply for LTF cards and then keep them aside... Seems good for both parties but not sure why ICICI isn't doing it

Yes, for ICICI offers Coral or Platinum LTF is required. APay if you have Prime then somehow benefits on Amazon only and 1% on offline that too comes in APay balance.
I don't think LTF is necessary... Offers are made applicable to mostly all cards except Apay i.e. you can avail discounts via MMT/ManU cards too

Patil007

TF Ace
Yeah... they might hide it because, if its made public... people might just apply for LTF cards and then keep them aside... Seems good for both parties but not sure why ICICI isn't doing it

I don't think LTF is necessary... Offers are made applicable to mostly all cards except Apay i.e. you can avail discounts via MMT/ManU cards too
Yes, He was taking about what special is ICICI. So, just said. Better to take one lower end card LTF for offers and APay can be taken for Amazon rewards.

NOOBY

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Yes, those are some reasons but there are some other option available for getting LTF credit cards even if your company is not in their LTF list.
Please do share those if possible

I have heard that having Wealth Management account helps (Thanks @pranavcool) but other than that and ICICI running LTF offers (like HDFC), haven't heard anything...

Not sure about secured ones

Collector_sahab

TF Premier
Please do share those if possible

I have heard that having Wealth Management account helps (Thanks @pranavcool) but other than that and ICICI running LTF offers (like HDFC), haven't heard anything...

Not sure about secured ones
Icici do give pre-approved ltf credit cards on thier regular savings and even mine accounts, if you dont hold a cursed apay cc already.