• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

How much spend should we do using first credit card?

devsfinance

TF Premier
Hello There, I recently got my first credit card with no other credit account and hence no history as well as score.

My question is how much should be spending to build a good credit score. I saw a post of credit score on the forum according to which spend between 1 to 9% of total credit limit showed highest credit score, should I be spending that much? If yes my focus should be less spend i.e. near 1%-2% or high spend in that range i.e. 8-9%.

Note: I will be spending money which I already have just through credit card, so paying bill won’t be an issue.

Also any other tips around this is appreciated. My target it to get a good credit score so that I can have a good credit card collection.

QUIKSILVER27

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
First of all congrats on being TF Select even though you just got your first credit card!

You can use upto 30% of your credit limit easily without impacting your score, even if you want to use more just make sure you repay the amount into your card before the statement gets generated so it wont be counted in the utilization.. also pay all your bills on time and atleast few days before due date.

I actually made a prettier big payment of ₹75000 in the 2nd month of getting my first credit card at 18. It had a limit of ₹125000. It was towards my dormitory fees. I had no problems with paying the dues and it didn’t seem to affect my credit reports much. I believe my score actually increased by 10 points in the coming months.

devsfinance

TF Premier
I actually made a prettier big payment of ₹75000 in the 2nd month of getting my first credit card at 18. It had a limit of ₹125000. It was towards my dormitory fees. I had no problems with paying the dues and it didn’t seem to affect my credit reports much. I believe my score actually increased by 10 points in the coming months.
Thank you for letting me know.

devsfinance

TF Premier
First of all congrats on being TF Select even though you just got your first credit card!

You can use upto 30% of your credit limit easily without impacting your score, even if you want to use more just make sure you repay the amount into your card before the statement gets generated so it wont be counted in the utilization.. also pay all your bills on time and atleast few days before due date.
Thanks for suggestion, Yes I am currently doing that only.