• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Many Cards, Want HDFC. What Should I Do?

techt

TF Legend
I attempted to submit a closure request with a remaining balance, but they refused, advising me to settle the balance first before making the request.
For my CB card I requested an LTF via mail . I got it. Also my spends were about 5Lakh+ in the first year of use.

sidp

TF Ace
My current cards with brief reasons for having them:

My combined annual spending is less than 8 lakhs. I'm looking to simplify my card lineup and don't prioritize travel rewards right now.
It's good that you have clear use for each card. One thing that could help in c2c is a mid level cc. Your spend is high enough. You already have 3 cc from axis( including the citi one). Have you got any offer to replace citi cc with an axis cc? Try to get a mid level card which allows you redeem for gv but negotiate to make that ltf as all your axis cc are paid.
The HDFC Challenge
I recently opened an HDFC salary account and was assured I'd qualify for the Millennia card. After my first salary was credited, the agent backtracked and said I'd have to wait 3 months as I don’t have any offers for my account.
He is talking about preapproved offer for which you don't need his help. If he is not ready to help you getting a low variant cc after giving you his word, he won't be any help in future.
You can complain to nodal officer as you have nothing to lose. Tell them how you have decent yearly spend( 8L)on cc and want to transfer a good portion to a hdfc cc.
specify your applications are declined without any reason and how hdfc employee(don't say agent) not honouring the promise of Millenia cc against new salary account. With these continued discrimination you'll close your salary account.

sparkit

TF Premier
Contributor
I don't think a month if enough. You'll have to wait for a few more months and be assured you'll get a pre-approved offer. Don't get Moneyback, wait until you get Millenia otherwise you'll be stuck with that useless card.
I have that same Moneyback 😅 . Got it before I know about cards and this forum. But the problem is that is my oldest card! So if I close that it will affect my credit history!

Aditya12

TF Premier
I have that same Moneyback 😅 . Got it before I know about cards and this forum. But the problem is that is my oldest card! So if I close that it will affect my credit history!
Wait for upgrade i’d say. Millenia would be way better.

sparkit

TF Premier
Contributor
Do you have savings account with hdfc?

I also had ltf moneyback plus for 1 year 4 months. I asked millenia to normal customer care. But they denied and asked me to use the card more. I sent a heavy worded mail and demanded millenia to grievance.redressalcc@hdfcbank.com. They reviewed my relationship and offered it.
Yes, I do hold both savings and current account there. I was in their classic program until last month! Can you DM me the email if possible? Please!

mangalorean

TF Select
It's good that you have clear use for each card. One thing that could help in c2c is a mid level cc. Your spend is high enough. You already have 3 cc from axis( including the citi one). Have you got any offer to replace citi cc with an axis cc? Try to get a mid level card which allows you redeem for gv but negotiate to make that ltf as all your axis cc are paid.

He is talking about preapproved offer for which you don't need his help. If he is not ready to help you getting a low variant cc after giving you his word, he won't be any help in future.
You can complain to nodal officer as you have nothing to lose. Tell them how you have decent yearly spend( 8L)on cc and want to transfer a good portion to a hdfc cc.
specify your applications are declined without any reason and how hdfc employee(don't say agent) not honouring the promise of Millenia cc against new salary account. With these continued discrimination you'll close your salary account.
Axis hasn't increased my Citi credit card limit in three years; it's still at the initial 60K, while my other Axis cards exceed 2.5 lakhs. I recently tried closing the card, but the retention team offered ₹2000 to keep it, so I did.

Despite meeting the 30k fee waiver criteria, the card offers limited value. I raised a closure request yesterday due to the low limit and poor rewards. I previously asked for a lifetime free (LTF) conversion, but they denied it. While there's a trick to get LTF, I'm not interested in keeping the Citi card any longer.

I use my Flipkart and Airtel Axis cards extensively, so their annual fees aren't a concern, although LTF would still be ideal. I'll see what Citi offers this time, but unless it's exceptional, I'm closing the card for good.

Regarding the HDFC CC, I'm in an interesting situation. I work for a startup (around 85 employees), and we recently invited HDFC to open accounts for most of us. They assured everyone they would issue credit cards, but today, according to the accounts team, it seems all of our CC applications were rejected. I'm not sure what to make of this.

As you suggested, I'll raise a complaint with the PNO regarding the employee. Let's see if that helps.

mangalorean

TF Select
Wait for 6 months, you will get pre approved offers
That's the only thing I can do for now I guess.

I don't think a month if enough. You'll have to wait for a few more months and be assured you'll get a pre-approved offer. Don't get Moneyback, wait until you get Millenia otherwise you'll be stuck with that useless card.
Yeah, I'm definitely steering clear of the Moneyback after hearing about those issues. With my salary, I qualify for the Millennia or Regalia, and I'm hoping for one of those. If they can't offer something worthwhile, that's on them.

I've had a similar experience before. ICICI wouldn't give me a Rubyx LTF despite being a loyal customer for over 8 years and already having the Amazon Pay and Coral. That's why I moved my salary account to HDFC. It would be disappointing if they don't offer a good option – I'm prepared to find a bank that values my business.

mangalorean

TF Select
I would prefer to close it and let my credit score recover. Honestly, I closed my 8-year-old ICICI Ferrari card (my first ever card) and it did not affect my credit score much. It dropped by about 20-30 points and bounced back within three months. Interestingly, you can simulate the credit score in the CIBIL app or in Google Pay and see how closing it would impact your credit score. I think it is worth it rather than being stuck with that card.

sidp

TF Ace
I use my Flipkart and Airtel Axis cards extensively, so their annual fees aren't a concern, although LTF would still be idideal.
All your citi queries are handled by axis right? If your spend in 2 axis cc is >2.5 L. You can try converting citi to an axis mid level card. As you already have 2 cards, could try to replace it with ltf cc (may be privilege or select . Check redemption options before you apply)
Regarding the HDFC CC, I'm in an interesting situation. I work for a startup (around 85 employees), and we recently invited HDFC to open accounts for most of us. They assured everyone they would issue credit cards, but today, according to the accounts team, it seems all of our CC applications were rejected. I'm not sure what to make of this.
Banks could be little wary because of start up tag. Still you should complain to nodal office. And complain of unfair trade practices. How they gave false promise to meet their target. And all you will complain to rbi and close your account before fy end, If you dont get what you were promised.

If you get or not is a different thing. No harm in writing couple of emails.

Last edited:

mangalorean

TF Select
All your citi queries are handled by axis right? If your spend in 2 axis cc is >2.5 L. You can try converting citi to an axis mid level card. As you already have 2 cards, could try to replace it with ltf cc (may be privilege or select . Check redemption options before you apply)

Banks could be little wary because of start up tag. Still you should complain to nodal office. And complain of unfair trade practices. How they gave false promise to meet their target. And all you will complain to rbi and close your account before fy end, If you dont get what you were promised.

If you get or not is a different thing. No harm in writing couple of emails.
Yes, Axis Bank handles it, but when I raised a request earlier, the person said she's from the Citi team.

I considered closing my Flipkart Axis card, but the offers during sales and the no-cost EMI discounts on larger purchases are quite useful. I usually take advantage of those benefits and then close the EMIs within a month or two.

For now, I'm not really looking for another Axis card. I already have 10 credit cards and want to streamline my portfolio, keeping only the most essential ones. My goal is to limit myself to 15 cards at most. This would ideally include two HDFC cards (core and co-branded), a Zenith LTF card from AU Bank (if they're still offering it), an IndusInd card (the Eazy Diner one would be great), and eventually a Rupay Select Wellness card. I want to be more strategic and wait for my income to increase before adding more cards.

As for my HDFC situation, I plan to discuss it with our accounts team and then write an email.

Really appreciate your inputs/suggestions. 🫡