• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Many Cards, Want HDFC. What Should I Do?

mangalorean

TF Select
Hello TF Community,

I've enjoyed being part of this community and learning from you all. I'd like some help with revamping my credit card strategy.

I became interested in credit cards after watching Mr. Sumantha's video about CCs. Previously, I didn't prioritize card utilization or reward optimization. I have a good credit history (CIBIL score: 790-795, on-time payments, <30% utilization).

My current cards with brief reasons for having them:

1. Amazon Pay ICICI (LTF): Amazon purchases
  2. ICICI Coral Rupay (LTF): ICICI offers, UPI payments
  3. SBI Simplyclick (LTF): SBI offers
  4. SBI Cashback (Paid): Online spending (where other cards lack cashback)
  5. IDFC First Select (LTF): IDFC offers, rent payments
  6. Flipkart Axis (Paid): Flipkart offers, large-purchase no cost EMIs
  7. Airtel Axis (Paid): Airtel / utility payments, Swiggy/Zomato offers
  8. Federal Celesta (LTF): Groceries, Swiggy offers (good card-specific offers, highest limit at 6.1 lakhs)
  9. Kotak Myntra (Paid): Myntra shopping, UPI (asked Kotak to convert to LTF, will close if they don't)
  10. Citi Rewards (Paid): Offline shopping (closing soon)

My combined annual spending is less than 8 lakhs. I'm looking to simplify my card lineup and don't prioritize travel rewards right now.

The HDFC Challenge

I've always wanted an HDFC card due to their offers, but my applications have been unsuccessful:
  • Rejected for Tata Neu Plus: Despite showing eligibility. They didn't provide a reason. (Four months ago)
  • My wife got approved for the same card: Even with lower credit history.

I recently opened an HDFC salary account and was assured I'd qualify for the Millennia card. After my first salary was credited, the agent backtracked and said I'd have to wait 3 months as I don’t have any offers for my account.

Questions:
  • Why does HDFC keep rejecting me despite my good credit profile?
  • What can I do to increase my chances of getting a decent HDFC card? (C2C Basis by visiting a branch?)
  • Which cards should I close to streamline my collection?

Thanks for your help!

varun__goel_

TF Legend
Hello TF Community,

I've enjoyed being part of this community and learning from you all. I'd like some help with revamping my credit card strategy.

I became interested in credit cards after watching Mr. Sumantha's video about CCs. Previously, I didn't prioritize card utilization or reward optimization. I have a good credit history (CIBIL score: 790-795, on-time payments, <30% utilization).

8. Federal Celesta (LTF): Groceries, Swiggy offers (good card-specific offers, highest limit at 6.1 lakhs)
  9. Kotak Myntra (Paid): Myntra shopping, UPI (asked Kotak to convert to LTF, will close if they don't)

My combined annual spending is less than 8 lakhs. I'm looking to simplify my card lineup and don't prioritize travel rewards right now.

The HDFC Challenge

I've always wanted an HDFC card due to their offers, but my applications have been unsuccessful:
  • Rejected for Tata Neu Plus: Despite showing eligibility. They didn't provide a reason. (Four months ago)

I recently opened an HDFC salary account and was assured I'd qualify for the Millennia card. After my first salary was credited, the agent backtracked and said I'd have to wait 3 months as I don’t have any offers for my account.

Questions:
  • What can I do to increase my chances of getting a decent HDFC card? (C2C Basis by visiting a branch?)

Thanks for your help!
Wait for 6 months, you will get pre approved offers

Aditya12

TF Premier
I don't think a month if enough. You'll have to wait for a few more months and be assured you'll get a pre-approved offer. Don't get Moneyback, wait until you get Millenia otherwise you'll be stuck with that useless card.

sai99488

TF Buzz
Hello TF Community,

The HDFC Challenge

Questions:

Thanks for your help!
How were you able to obtain SBI SimplyClick as LTF?

mangalorean

TF Select
How were you able to obtain SBI SimplyClick as LTF?
Been using it for over two years with good spends on it. Someone here recommended to raise a closure request so that the retention team will convert the card to LTF. That’s what I did and they converted it to LTF.

Last edited:

sai99488

TF Buzz
Been using it for over two years with good spends on it. Someone here recommended here to raise a closure request so that the retention team will convert the card to LTF. That’s what I did and they converted it to LTF.
will it work now? and what is the process?

sai99488

TF Buzz
I actually had my annual fee waived off in December. Should I wait for a few months, or should I submit the request now? it is Simplyclick card with 75k limit

dexter_greycells

TF Premier
will it work now? and what is the process?
Others have put up posts stating that SBI simply called them to check if they had raised a card closure request. They answered "Yes", got a "Thank you", a call disconnect and the card got closed. Absolutely zero attempt to retain. Then they were asking about the cool-off period to reapply!
I personally believe that there is no shame in paying a fair price (Rs 500 + GST is not bad at all) for a service. Obviously, someone will always get a better deal ("LTF", in this case) than you. Comparing yourself to that someone is a recipe for lifelong disappointment.

sai99488

TF Buzz
Wow, that sounds incredibly frustrating. It's disappointing when there's no effort made to retain a customer. And then having to deal with the confusion of reapplying after a sudden closure adds insult to injury

techt

TF Legend
You can do that to hdfc . Request closurer via hdfc app
Do extra payment meanwhile
Threaten with dcb ltf 😁
No need. Even the so called Infinia is not lucrative for me.

Vasuki

TF Pioneer
Contributor
RML Group
VIP Lounge
No need. Even the so called Infinia is not lucrative for me.

I recommend MRF zlx