• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

SBI Card Fraudulent transaction Chargeback request was rejected

gischethans

TF Buzz
My friend is currently battling with SBI Card for fraudulent transactions on his IRCTC SBI Platinum Credit Card. He got charged multiple times with amount totaling to ₹19000 in February with remarks Google Play Mumbai IN sharp at 00:00 hrs indicating some subscription kind of a purchase. However, he is not someone who takes subscriptions and uses the card only for booking train tickets. He did not notice the transactions in his February statement but caught it only in March as the amount was nearly ₹10,000 in one transaction this time. What is puzzling is, no OTPs and transaction alerts were received for any of the transactions.

He was asked to raise a cybercrime complaint and chargeback request by customer care and they closed it soon after. Even on escalating it to nodal officer, the response is this -

1711536745468.png

While I have suggested it to escalate it to the next level and later knock RBI's doors, could you help us with any additional inputs?

xfactcc

TF Premier
[VERY IMPORTANT] As per RBI guidelines: ttps://www.rbi.org.in/commonman/English/Scripts/Notification.aspx?Id=2336

See attachment for PDF. Save it.

It seems a zero liability case for customer since it was certainly not due to customer's fault.

Please refer to the RBI rules mentioned above so everyone is aware of what to do in cases of fraudulent bank transactions.

Attachments

• NOTI1506072017.PDF
    97.7 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

ray8285

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
My friend is currently battling with SBI Card for fraudulent transactions on his IRCTC SBI Platinum Credit Card. He got charged multiple times with amount totaling to ₹19000 in February with remarks Google Play Mumbai IN sharp at 00:00 hrs indicating some subscription kind of a purchase. However, he is not someone who takes subscriptions and uses the card only for booking train tickets. He did not notice the transactions in his February statement but caught it only in March as the amount was nearly ₹10,000 in one transaction this time. What is puzzling is, no OTPs and transaction alerts were received for any of the transactions.

He was asked to raise a cybercrime complaint and chargeback request by customer care and they closed it soon after. Even on escalating it to nodal officer, the response is this -

1711536745468.png

While I have suggested it to escalate it to the next level and later knock RBI's doors, could you help us with any additional inputs?
In merchant account terms OTP verified transactions are called 3D transactions(similar to chip & pin) & NON OTP based are 2D ..

All card issuing banks have records if a transaction was processed via 3D gateway or 2D !

If indeed NO OTP were triggered / entered during the mentioned transactions & were processed as 2D then SBI is clearly lying & your friend can even claim compensation.

Keep escalating & keep iterating the fact that NO OTP was triggered or entered & even then if SBI fails to entertain the chargeback, after 30 days escalate with the ombudsman ..

The onus on the card issuer, SBI in this case to prove that the transactions were not fraudulent, else they need to credit the card account back !

#aniket

TF Ace
Unfortunately, none, so far. SBI Card says they have proof that OTPs and transaction alerts were sent without sharing anything. Once the preset time elapses, my friend will escalate this to the Ombudsman.
Not required to wait for 30 days, you can raise your complaint as you have received unsatisfactory reply.

By the way, have you tried all level of Escalation Matrix?

gischethans

TF Buzz
If you have received final reply from sbi card customer care then send a reminder email and escalate to RBI BO.

Not required to wait for 30 days, you can raise your complaint as you have received unsatisfactory reply.

By the way, have you tried all level of Escalation Matrix?
Thank you guys. Last I checked with my friend, SBI cards never said the response was final and asked for time. Therefore, he decided to wait for 30 days before reaching out to the Ombudsman.