• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Bill Payment System difference between PhonePe & other payment apps

krishc

TF Ace
Recently noticed that PhonePe has more merchants available for bill payments in different categories compared to AmazonPay & GPay etc
Previously I was under the impression that every such payment apps used BBPS integration for bill payments.
Does anyone knows which bill payment API PhonePe uses ?

AsB

TF Ace
Not sure. But, you need to consider a few things
1) PhonePe is charging a certain platform fee depending on the transaction and frequency of transactions. Example- I was charged an amount of Rs 0.50 for a Credit card bill payment of Rs 28000, but was charged Rs 10 for a bill payment of Rs 10,000.

2) The success rate of PayTM for UPI is the highest among all apps. They also have faster UI response compared to any other app that I use.

3) I am very uncertain that PhonePe or any other app will share the exact API that they use- to avoid security breaches. But, most of them use the Bharat Bill Payment APIs for all their bills.

AsB

TF Ace
Not sure. But, you need to consider a few things
1) PhonePe is charging a certain platform fee depending on the transaction and frequency of transactions. Example- I was charged an amount of Rs 0.50 for a Credit card bill payment of Rs 28000, but was charged Rs 10 for a bill payment of Rs 10,000.

2) The success rate of PayTM for UPI is the highest among all apps. They also have faster UI response compared to any other app that I use.

3) I am very uncertain that PhonePe or any other app will share the exact API that they use- to avoid security breaches. But, most of them use the Bharat Bill Payment APIs for all their bills.
Also, they will very likely use the BBPS API associated with their banking partner. I am unsure if the RBI or NPCI will allow any 3rd party app to directly use the BBPS bill payment system.