• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Amex Application Using Own Amex Referral

hellobois

TF Ace
People get it free in the first year and do not want to pay the fee in the 2nd year so they close the card and then use a referral to get another free card
Im in the same boat. Closed mrcc in 2019 after using it for less than a year. Can I apply now? I see Amazon voucher offer on Amazon

vigo

TF Buzz
VIP Lounge
With Amex cards, much more can be earned by referrals, than by using the card.
It is like a member get member pyramid scheme

Absolutely true, particularly for Plat charge card, where the main benefits is you get 25K MRs for referral. Other than Referral and the starting joining MRs, few people earn MRs thru the card directly.

drsel

TF Legend
Absolutely true, particularly for Plat charge card, where the main benefits is you get 25K MRs for referral. Other than Referral and the starting joining MRs, few people earn MRs thru the card directly.
So the referral points are--
8000 MR points each for Gold charge, Platinum travel and MRCC
25000 MR points for Platinum charge card.

It makes sense for friends to refer each other

bvc19296

TF Legend
TF Family
Contributor
VIP Lounge
So the referral points are--
8000 MR points each for Gold charge, Platinum travel and MRCC
25000 MR points for Platinum charge card.

It makes sense for friends to refer each other
Add Plat Reserve too.

But on referral application for Platinum charge user gets 45000 Taj vouchers not the 1.25L or 1.35L MR points.

bvc19296

TF Legend
TF Family
Contributor
VIP Lounge
But they have to pay a hefty joining fee for Platinum charge card.
It's certainly not worth it
There are people who use it a powerful tool and use it well.

Particularly accessing Amex / Centurion lounges (Restricted), MB Gold Status etc, 5X, 4 Supplementary cards, Concierge services, some invite only events. Depends on choices at the end.

karram

TF Buzz
I wanted to know if I can use my own referral link to apply for a new Amex card for myself and be eligible for both the referral and referee benefits?
I have done this. I had MRCC and applied for Platinum Travel. It was approved and got the referral points as well in both the cards. It was 1.5 years ago. Interestingly, my MRCC points are pooled together with the Plat. Travel.