• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

What is the best mode to carry currency to bali?

Rushhh1010

TF Buzz
I have travelled to Indonesia multiple times. Indonesia is still a cash dominant economy. I would recommend you withdraw cash using cards like Niyo Global or IndusInd Exclusive / Pioneer debit cards (Best). Many ATMs in Indonesia doesn't charge ATM Access fee, you can withdraw cash for free any number of times if you use cards like IndusInd Exclusive / Pioneer debit cards.
In my past travels I have stuck to carrying USD and getting it converted at money exchanges. Only used my credit cards at hotels, malls and high-end restaurants in Indonesia. Considering the amount of card skimming scams in Indonesia, I had shied away in the past. I will be visiting in the coming weeks and now I'm contemplating using my debit cards to withdraw cash. A couple of friends who visited recently told me there would be a charge of $2-3 on most atms. Could you please share the names of the banks(in Indonesia) that won't charge atm fees for withdrawals?

credit_debit

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
If someone is actually going to SG before Indonesia, best to carry USD /SGD and then get it converted to IDR at the money changers in "The Arcade, Raffles Place, CBD". Generally best rates.

nushah

TF Buzz
I am travelling to Singapore + Bali with family (2 travellers) in August end. I have HDFC Diners Club Credit card, and we have also taken IDFC First Wow Credit Card (has 0% Forex charges). We are planning to take IDR cash from ATM using IDFC First Wow Credit card. Can anyone suggest how should we plan our expenses ? I was hoping to use HDFC Diners Club card for all my purchases but have heard that Diners is not having good acceptance in Bali and also read few articles regarding ATMs are not safe to withdraw cash. Also, are there any extra charges for withdrawing cash from ATM apart from IDFC charging 199 rupees for every withdrawal ? Should we still carry USD from India ?

CARDBITRAGE

TF Ace
I am travelling to Singapore + Bali with family (2 travellers) in August end. I have HDFC Diners Club Credit card, and we have also taken IDFC First Wow Credit Card (has 0% Forex charges). We are planning to take IDR cash from ATM using IDFC First Wow Credit card. Can anyone suggest how should we plan our expenses ? I was hoping to use HDFC Diners Club card for all my purchases but have heard that Diners is not having good acceptance in Bali and also read few articles regarding ATMs are not safe to withdraw cash. Also, are there any extra charges for withdrawing cash from ATM apart from IDFC charging 199 rupees for every withdrawal ? Should we still carry USD from India ?
Diners acceptance is an issue everywhere in the world. It will be the case in Bali also, so don't rely heavily on your DCB. Should work at most upmarket places though. Cash is king in Bali(like most SE Asian countries), and the small establishments that accept cards will pass on the MDR to you, so there is no point swiping there. I always hold reserve USD at home, and hold that for all my trips abroad for contingencies. I will majorly use ATMs to withdraw local currency, and I find this most convenient. Coming to charges, both your local bank and the ATM will charge you a certain fee.
This is a link to one of my posts which should help you. -> ATM abroad-Things to keep in mind
But if you are someone who prefers carrying currency, take USD and get it exchanged at only the official exchange stores. Many illegitimate exchange shops are there in Bali that will swindle you off a lot of money.

Last edited:

Arun Pratheep

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
I carried USD for my recent trip to Bali and converted to IDR locally. In Bali most places accept only cash. Used Fi debit card wherever it was accepted(Restaurants, Grab, Gojek etc..)
For my Singapore trip I just carried Niyo Global card(when it was not banned). Other than street shopping used niyo for all the transactions. For street shopping withdrawn money from ATM( Got visa exchange rate without any markup and Rs.100 as withdrawal fees)

gowthamv

TF Premier
I carried USD for my recent trip to Bali and converted to IDR locally. In Bali most places accept only cash. Used Fi debit card wherever it was accepted(Restaurants, Grab, Gojek etc..)
For my Singapore trip I just carried Niyo Global card(when it was not banned). Other than street shopping used niyo for all the transactions. For street shopping withdrawn money from ATM( Got visa exchange rate without any markup and Rs.100 as withdrawal fees)
is INR -> IDR better (or) INR -> USD -> IDR better?

And heard that there are many currency exchange scams in Bali. How was your experience in converting USD to IDR? Any reliable brands for currency conversion?

Arun Pratheep

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
is INR -> IDR better (or) INR -> USD -> IDR better?

And heard that there are many currency exchange scams in Bali. How was your experience in converting USD to IDR? Any reliable brands for currency conversion?
INR -> USD -> IDR is better.
Currency exchange scams happen if you go to small makeshift exchanges which offer unrealistic exchange rate(You can watch YouTube videos to identify those exchanges).

Always go to exchanges which has a professional look(Which has Cctv cameras) and read their Google reviews before entering.

My experience was very good. We had an exchange near our hotel which had very good ratings

MPB Money Changer (MPB Kartika Plaza)