• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Infinia Smartbuy vs airmiles

infinia_finally

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Hi
I couldn't find info in search. But if there is prior discussion on this, please point me to the thread

Assuming for a particular flight, smartbuy price is same as external websites (and let's just assume, there aren't great discounts externally for any modes of payment that I have),

Then what is preferred? Buying tickets using RPs through smartbuy OR converting RPs to 1:1 airmiles on some airline and purchasing from airline website?

(I have never converted to airmiles)

Hi
I couldn't find info in search. But if there is prior discussion on this, please point me to the thread

Assuming for a particular flight, smartbuy price is same as external websites (and let's just assume, there aren't great discounts externally for any modes of payment that I have),

Then what is preferred? Buying tickets using RPs through smartbuy OR converting RPs to 1:1 airmiles on some airline and purchasing from airline website?

(I have never converted to airmiles)

Rule of thumb - look at a redemption rate of at least Rs. 1/mile. So if a cost of a ticket is Rs. 10000. And it costs 8000 miles and Rs. 1000 in taxes and fees - you're getting a redemption rate of Rs. 1.125/mile so that's good. Anything less than that and you're better of redeeming 70% at Rs. 1/mile through the smartbuy portal.

Sriim

TF Premier
I have never converted to airmiles but I've always found smartbuy flight prices to be almost same as external websites (they do bookings through external websites actually, you can choose between the sites when you book)

Vasuki

TF Pioneer
Contributor
RML Group
VIP Lounge
(Smartbuy Price + convenience fees) is roughly 5-9% more than (Aggregator price + Card discounts + convenience fees) on flight bookings. If you don't have the right card for aggregator websites then price will be almost same
Thats why Millniea is best in redemption 😅
1:1

subham23

TF Buzz
Last week i made flight booking in easemytrip with flat 10% discount code upto 2000/- and additional 4.5% online rewards using yes marquee card. so total 14.5% savings.

techt

TF Legend
Last week i made flight booking in easemytrip with flat 10% discount code upto 2000/- and additional 4.5% online rewards using yes marquee card. so total 14.5% savings.
yes yes we @S S V said this in his review that Marquee is really good for those who can't get infinia.
BTW wouldn't it be the same if SBI CB used assuming no goof up of MCC?

Reactions: SSV

Firewing224

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
The reality of Smartbuy is that your points are not actually worth 1 rupee / point. When you redeem points, you dont get the 16.5% or the 33% points back.

Assume for calculation sake that for every flight you book, you pay 50% through points , rest 50% through payment (I know it allows 70% but you are constantly flying and you're getting RPs from other transactions to cover only half a ticket every month). ticket costs 5000 rupees.
You get 412.5 RPs. which is only 8.25% of the ticket cost. If 70% redeemed everytime, you get lesser. Its RP. not cashback.

Why DCB and smartbuy still make sense? Well, firstly, u can compare on all websites. 800 rupee difference if u see below :
1709789247789.png

Secondly, Of course : I Paid only 1000 rupees for this flight by redeeming 70% RPs! - The psychological factor. Thats much better than saying I got all my flights this month at 9% discount.
Thirdly, DCB gives 3.3% on almost every swipe except rent and insurance I think. This is better than most of the cards since it is consistent.
Fourthly : IF you are doing multiple booking, the OTA discounts are heavily capped and are of lesser value than 9% discount. Hence smartbuy flat discount upto CAP makes sense.

I prefer to pay while hotel booking and redeem points while booking air tickets. 33% back on hotel which can be redeemed against flights. IF u do otherway round, its a win for smartbuy.

If u get 0.9 rupee valuation on your air miles, it is genuinely a good deal.