• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

How are you maximizing your credit card points redemption to hotel points or airmiles?

divyam_taparia

TF Select
I use an atlas credit card and have a monthly expenditure of around 1.5Lacs totalling upto 18 lacs P.a.
It gives me 2 points per 100 which i convert to any partner program which in turns give me 4 points of the partner program (eg vistara,air india, itc and many more)

Now my question is Which partner to chose and how to get the maximum value out of these points ?
For example- Delhi to London vistara tickets to and fro costs around 70k (checked for june 11 departure and 18th june coming back to india)
Similar vistara points are costing for the same is 85k + 27k in taxes for the same while booking through CV.
So in exact terms i'm getting a cash value of 43k for my 85k club vistara points (which brings my card reward ratio to 2%).
Similar example can be taken for singapore airlines kris flyer program and others.
I know people say that accor gives the most value but basically we're already staying in hotels that cost 10k/15k per night and usually booking through accor i have observed that u have to pay 3-4k cash on any novotel or other hotels.
My purpose is I want to collect my points and travel abroad. Should i spend it on a hotel or airlines and is there a better way to get rewarded more than 2% (like in case of CV or kris flyer) I don't want to stay in mariott or luxury hotels as staying in them already requires 10k to 15k points for 1 night whereas i can get a decent hotel for 3-5k cash.

Has anyone found a particular airlines which gives good miles conversion?

abhim

TF Buzz
I have found excellent value with airmiles (average of around 2rs/edge point). I fly several times a year to the UK so that's primarily what I use my points for (occasional low value transfers to Vistara and Accor). A trick to increase the value from points is to transfer them to Air Canada Aeroplan and book premium cabins on star alliance for much greater value. For example, Aeroplan allows you to book Vistara business class for 60k points + taxes as opposed to 135k through Club Vistara. With Air India, the price is same on Aeroplan (60k + taxes) as opposed to 90k on Air India's flying return.

Albeit this can limit your usage based on how many points you have (eg: business class redemption one way with economy return) - it's down to personal preference whether you want to save cash and stretch points or increase redemption value and pay cash where redemption value is not good which is often the case with economy fares.

Itsoldsport

TF Buzz
I haven't redeemed on any airline yet for Atlas but for me personally, redeeming at hotels gives me more value in return. I usually redeem them on trips I do every few months at a good hotel like ITC bagging a flat 4% value back on average spending, which has been working very smoothly for me so far. Now just trying to accumulate points for an International trip where I plan to redeem all points only hotel (accor for best value) for the entire family.

As for airlines, I used Miles & More last year for a Dubai trip where I redeemed 2 return tickets for 60k Points + 8k (Charges) for an Air India flight through Lufthansa (Miles & More card Partner) which I felt provided the best value then since Dubai cost only 30k miles & more points even when prices were fluctuating from 40k-70k INR even reaching 1 lac for the same Air India flight we booked through points.

So, I feel Atlas is best utilized for only Hotels as there may be other cards fetching better value on flights.