• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Rejection of Kotak Credit Card Applications - do I stand a chance if escalated?

gischethans

TF Buzz
I have been a Kotak Bank customer since 2011 and occasionally saw pre-approved credit card offers. I started applying for one only in 2021 or so. My account was also a salary account then. However, the issue is my applications were rejected citing internal criteria soon after the application process was completed.
  • I kept suspecting my permanent address PIN code being a rural one, but in a few calls with the agents who called while applying I learnt that mine is a serviceable PIN code.
  • So I decided to raise the issue through Twitter (they were useless) and finally reached the CEO's desk.
    • Today, I got a response from the Grievance section citing the reason as my office address is in Telangana and my home address is in Karnataka. The fact is I work from home but I find the reason unjustified. One must be free to provide an address of choice as a communication/permanent address, correct?
    • I replied expressing my disappointment. No other bank had issues in offering me a credit card.
Now my question is, since I have a written response can I knock on RBI's doors?

the_collector

TF Premier
I have been a Kotak Bank customer since 2011 and occasionally saw pre-approved credit card offers. I started applying for one only in 2021 or so. My account was also a salary account then. However, the issue is my applications were rejected citing internal criteria soon after the application process was completed.
  • I kept suspecting my permanent address PIN code being a rural one, but in a few calls with the agents who called while applying I learnt that mine is a serviceable PIN code.
  • So I decided to raise the issue through Twitter (they were useless) and finally reached the CEO's desk.
    • Today, I got a response from the Grievance section citing the reason as my office address is in Telangana and my home address is in Karnataka. The fact is I work from home but I find the reason unjustified. One must be free to provide an address of choice as a communication/permanent address, correct?
    • I replied expressing my disappointment. No other bank had issues in offering me a credit card.
Now my question is, since I have a written response can I knock on RBI's doors?
Okay so I had a very similar case to yours.

Ive had a SB account with kotak for over 8 years.

I saw league platinum as pre approved for me many times on the app. Every time I applied it would ge rejected stating internal criteria. I was fed up and it didn't make sense to me why it says pre approved when they reject it instantly.
I tried reaching out to kotak via email, they simply denied , didn't give any reaosn and said reapply after 6 months.

Then , I was in talks with the RM, and she said she can do process it and it'll get approved.

She took the request, filled in the details, verified it with me and she submitted. I got my card approved in 4 odd days.

I would recommend trying to apply through RM, if I remember correctly they have an employee code that they enter that is helping it.

gischethans

TF Buzz
Then , I was in talks with the RM, and she said she can do process it and it'll get approved.

She took the request, filled in the details, verified it with me and she submitted. I got my card approved in 4 odd days.

I would recommend trying to apply through RM, if I remember correctly they have an employee code that they enter that is helping it.
I don't have an RM at the moment as it is not a salary account - I moved it elsewhere due to frustration. To make things complicated, the nearest branch is 60 km away and on my recent visit, I found them to be neither knowledgeable nor interested in taking up this issue. They were asking me to try through the app. I will however give it another try if nothing works.

the_collector

TF Premier
I don't have an RM at the moment as it is not a salary account - I moved it elsewhere due to frustration. To make things complicated, the nearest branch is 60 km away and on my recent visit, I found them to be neither knowledgeable nor interested in taking up this issue. They were asking me to try through the app. I will however give it another try if nothing works.
What account variant is it.

You might have a virtual RM assigned.

To check this go to the kotak app. Hit the 3 bars on the top left, hit on help and support and then RM connect. Do you see someone assigned here with their details? You should contact this person over call/email.

They'll process it instantly.

Also note. They can only process it if you have not applied in the last 90 days or the same screen will pop up for them.

Imo, grievance is going to send you an automated response.

I know for a fact that they issue cards for wfh also so that can't be the reason.

gischethans

TF Buzz
What account variant is it.

You might have a virtual RM assigned.

To check this go to the kotak app. Hit the 3 bars on the top left, hit on help and support and then RM connect. Do you see someone assigned here with their details? You should contact this person over call/email.

They'll process it instantly.

Also note. They can only process it if you have not applied in the last 90 days or the same screen will pop up for them.

Imo, grievance is going to send you an automated response.

I know for a fact that they issue cards for wfh also so that can't be the reason.
  • Mine is a Pro account - upgraded from Solo - Single few weeks ago.
  • I don't see a "RM Connect" option on the app and a search for relationship manager through net banking leads to a 404
  • Mine was not an automated response - it was routed by the CEO to grievance cell who took 4 + 4 days to respond