• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

RBI Introduces Stricter Measures for Credit Cards & Lending- Impact on Banks and Cardholders.

A significant development has unfolded in the financial landscape as the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) imposes tighter regulations on credit cards.

This move directly affects the issuance of new credit cards and other credit products, reflecting the RBI's commitment to bolstering the banking sector against potential economic stress.

On November 16, 2023, the RBI issued a notification instructing banks to enhance capital buffers, specifically targeting unsecured consumer credits, including credit cards and Non-Banking Finance Companies (NBFCs).

The motive is clear – to mitigate the risk of asset value reduction stemming from loans going bad, safeguard depositor funds, and prevent the fallout of bank failures.

The key changes include a shift in risk weights for credit cards and unsecured consumer credit exposure. For Scheduled Commercial Banks (SCBs) and NBFCs, the risk weight for unsecured consumer credit exposure has increased from 100% to 125%. Likewise, credit card receivables now carry a 25-percentage point increase in risk weight for both SCBs and NBFCs.

While these changes may impact credit growth in the credit card sector, it's essential to note the broader context. The Indian banking sector has rebounded from past corporate asset quality issues, boasting strong and resilient balance sheets.

Continuous deleveraging and increased profitability have contributed to this positive trend.Despite potential effects on credit card growth, the immediate impact on the sector's balance sheets at a macro level is manageable.
However, individual players might need to consider reinforcing capital buffers or raising capital to sustain growth.In conclusion, though the outlook for credit card growth may see some adjustments, the overall resilience of the banking sector remains intact.
The RBI's proactive stance, reflected in the adjustments to risk weights, signals a commitment to medium-term financial stability and improved asset quality.

As we navigate these changes, let's stay vigilant and proactive informers in our community discussions!

Slayer

TF Legend
VIP Lounge
So RBI had imposed a ban on my employer's two products but after 6 working days the said ban was uplifted. The message i want to convey is that RBI could implement a lot of measures but it solely depends on the lender if they are willing to re-asses the risk their borrowing clientele (which my employer would never do because rozi roti usse chalti hai)

NShah

TF Legend
Contributor
So RBI had imposed a ban on my employer's two products but after 6 working days the said ban was uplifted. The message i want to convey is that RBI could implement a lot of measures but it solely depends on the lender if they are willing to re-asses the risk their borrowing clientele (which my employer would never do because rozi roti usse chalti hai)
Bajaj Finance ? 🤣