• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Open a US Bank account from India - No ITIN or SSN Required

Hello everyone,
If you are a freelancer, a remote worker, or you receive payment in USD to your Indian account, then you are losing markup fees because of the transfer (currency exchange).
Do you know that you can open a real US bank account, receive payment directly to that account, and hold your money in USD?
Yes, it's absolutely possible. As an Indian, you can open a digital US bank account using your Indian passport.
No SSN or ITIN is required.
As you all know, you cannot open a traditional US bank account without visiting the country physically. So I'm talking about a digital bank account, a fully functional, proper US bank account with all the features you get from a traditional bank and the same level of security. Your money will be insured by the FDIC up to $250,000.

I'm talking about the Utoppia digital bank account; its banking services are provided by Synapse Brokerage LLC, a registered broker-dealer and member of SIPC, and Lineage Bank, a member of the FDIC (accounts are provided by Synapse Brokerage LLC, and the deposits are held with Lineage Bank, Member FDIC).
Utoppia is just like a Fi/Niyo bank account.

Eligibility Criteria-
Anyone from the listed countries can open a Utoppia Bank account.
🇦🇷 🇦🇺 🇦🇹 🇧🇪 🇧🇷 🇨🇦 🇨🇿 🇨🇱 🇨🇴 🇩🇰 🇫🇮 🇫🇷 🇩🇪 🇮🇳 🇮🇪 🇮🇹 🇱🇺 🇲🇾 🇲🇽 🇳🇱 🇳🇿 🇳🇴 🇵🇹 🇸🇬 🇸🇰 🇿🇦 🇪🇸 🇸🇪 🇨🇭 🇬🇧 🇺🇸 🇻🇳
The minimum age requirement is 18 years old.

Document- Passport

How To Open-

Just click on the link here - https://utoppia.onelink.me/eWMt/TechnoFino
Download the app and open your US bank account within 10 minutes. All you need is your passport.

Home screen.png

Benefits-
Zero maintenance US bank account
Free virtual debit card. You can add the virtual debit card to your Apple Pay (you must change your iPhone's region to US from India to use this feature).
Free instant money between one Utoppia and another Utoppia bank account
Wire transfer feature
ACH transfer feature
FDIC Insurance ($250,000)

This is the first and very important step you have to complete if you want to hold a US credit card in the future. You need a US bank account to pay your card bill.
***Consult your CA if you have any questions related to taxation.

gurbina

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Nothing weird about it. It costs them money to operate and keep your bank account open.

I'd be more worried about those completely "free" neobanks as they're not sustainable. And any bank not having proper onboarding requirements or checks is a big red flag, better to stay from them.

I can personally vouch for Wise, once your account is verified they'll support you anywhere else in the world and you'll be able to obtain bank details for many countries. It truly is a one of a kind and very well supported "bank" even compared to the competition like N26, Revolut and others.

I have had the debit card replacement shipped to three different countries and no fuzz every single time, the same with any support or inquiries about docs required each specific country for different purposes. They are incredibly quick as well, I received my card always within 3-4 days tops. They'll support all the basic features and even unique features to each specific country like ways to pay or transfer ie.

India with UPI
Europe with Ideal, Trustly, Sofort
Singapore PayNow
China Alipay
Indonesia all major ewallets
Philippines all major ewallets
Etc

Transfers worldwide are mostly instant or settled within 24-48 hours.
I'm using it to pay and receive money in Germany, US, India, Malaysia and Singapore and they all have been settled instantly.

Last edited:

jiffyspace

TF Buzz
VIP Lounge
Nothing weird about it. It costs them money to operate and keep your bank account open.

I'd be more worried about those completely "free" neobanks as they're not sustainable. And any bank not having proper onboarding requirements or checks is a big red flag, better to stay from them.

I can personally vouch for Wise, once your account is verified they'll support you anywhere else in the world and you'll be able to obtain bank details for many countries. It truly is a one of a kind and very well supported "bank" even compared to the competition like N26, Revolut and others.

I have had the debit card replacement shipped to three different countries and no fuzz every single time, the same with any support or inquiries about docs required each specific country for different purposes. They are incredibly quick as well, I received my card always within 3-4 days tops. They'll support all the basic features and even unique features to each specific country like ways to pay or transfer ie.

India with UPI
Europe with Ideal, Trustly, Sofort
Singapore PayNow
China Alipay
Indonesia all major ewallets
Philippines all major ewallets
Etc

Transfers worldwide are mostly instant or settled within 24-48 hours.
I'm using it to pay and receive money in Germany, US, India, Malaysia and Singapore and they all have been settled instantly.
Regarding Wise — they don't support multi currency in India yet, right? If you managed to get it verified out of India, they also don't provide the FIRC for inward remittances, if I am not wrong. Would that be a problem?

gurbina

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
T
Regarding Wise — they don't support multi currency in India yet, right? If you managed to get it verified out of India, they also don't provide the FIRC for inward remittances, if I am not wrong. Would that be a problem?
They do, an e-FIRC

Also not sure how FIRC applies when you have payments go into a bank account from Wise and then transferring to yourself via Wise, rather than getting paid directly into an Indian bank account. In the case of self transfer you might not see some of the limitations Wise imposes (which is related also to your residence country set in Wise).

Last edited:

hbajaj052

TF Buzz
RML Group
VIP Lounge
CA
Has anyone been able to generate a US Residence proof Statement from Utopia for the purpose of US Credit Card?

G M

TF Buzz
VIP Lounge
Till now , nothing substantial on this post. Utopia and Wise. Utopia need min balance. Wise some changes for Indian citizen.

Critical thing is what's the point of having an account unless you are not sure of the clear purpose?

sangalaviral

TF Select
VIP Lounge
I am also looking for an account for getting amex US card. I do have my sister in law staying there, so I do not need to use any forwarding service.
Any ways to get account/address proof?

meetprj

TF Buzz
Weird rules, I would stay away , it says no minimum balance required but it also says they will charge 3$ if 500$ not maintained.
I am not using it but the image shows it as inactivity fee meaning if you dont use it in the last 6 months and you have not maintained 500USD then the charges are applicable

rohitb

TF Premier
RML Group
VIP Lounge
Utopia - waitlist
Aeldra - no more an option

Any other option good people, outside of these ?

I have first tech credit union Bank account from my time in USA. But they do not add address on their e statement.

I think Utopia strated onboarding again. I have been removed from waitlist but I am not opening the account due to Annual inactivity fee (which is $3 per month for not keeping balance of $500 & above)

rohitb

TF Premier
RML Group
VIP Lounge
Received a call from Amex , lady on the other side asked for SSN. Since I had one, did not wanted to lie(here as well).
After keeping me on hold for couple of mins , she said partially approved, sending in an email with some extra steps, once done card will be dispatched.
Mail was same as the one I received when I filed the application, asking me to call amex.

I gave them the call and ivr says the operation you want is not available at the moment to our executives(something to the tune of this). Call again after sometime.

Will call again in sometime today or after a few days of same response is received today.

rohitb

TF Premier
RML Group
VIP Lounge
Called just now, received same message .
But then clicked on 0 to speak to customer care executive, he asked a few questions
Like address etc for verification and few questions like if I am ok to wait a few days for delivery etc etc. (Probably US requirement) and then card approved then and there and received email as well.