• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Best way to open a Foreign Bank Account from India

hvninhll

TF Select
VIP Lounge
I see a lot of people asking about this in the forums, but, I was unable to post this anywhere else due to not getting the requisite amount of member points to do so.

Anyhow, here is the best way to open a Foreign Bank Account from India without traveling.

1. Get a Premier Banking Relationship with HSBC in India (via Salary > 3LPM or Home Loan above 2cr)

HSBC has a feature wherein if you are premier in one country, you are auto-eligible for premier across all countries that they operate in.

2. Leverage this Premier Banking Relationship to open a foreign bank account while staying in India by contacting your RM and asking to be put in touch with International Banking Centre for a Foreign Bank Account opening. (Slow)

3. Alternatively, go to the website of your preferred country's HSBC Banks website and apply for an account opening and mention that you are already a premier customer in another jurisdiction. (Faster)

P.S. The process will take around 2-3 weeks but you would get a proper bank account vis-a-vis the accounts that you get through neoBanks.
I have used this method successfully for Singapore. And mostly these accounts would be zero balance and without any charges due to Premier Status.

kowsikbabu

TF Select
VIP Lounge
Thank you for sharing this, I hope someone else updates similarly for other banks and hopefully some banks that will let you open an foreign account with lesser NRV.