• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Marriott Bonvoy Elite Tier Enrollment through Amex Platinum Issue

theglobalinvestor

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Hi,

I am a long time MB member...now trying to enrol my existing MB account to elite tier through amex platinum and getting the following...

Sorry, Starwood Hotels & Resorts have been unable to process your enrolment request. This normally happens because there is already a member registered with the email provided or, if applicable, the existing Marriott Bonvoy™ membership number is incorrect. Please provide an alternative email address or your existing Marriott Bonvoy™ membership number and re-submit your request.

I've checked my membership number and email address and they are correct.

Has anyone had this issue before and how did you resolve?

theglobalinvestor

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
So this has been more hassle than its worth...I had contacted amex chat support and they said to enroll as a fresh account using a new email and without using my existing Marriott membership#.

That didn't work either! Same error message.

Contacted amex chat support again saying that didn't work either, and now they're directing me to contact Marriott support.

Not exactly a platinum experience from amex so far!

theglobalinvestor

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
And marriott directs back to amex...

Thank you for contacting Marriott Bonvoy® regarding Elite status for holders of the American Express Platinum and Centurion credit cards. I am happy to provide you with information regarding these cards.

Members who hold either of these two cards, neither of which are Marriott Bonvoy® co-branded cards, may receive Marriott Bonvoy® Gold Elite status as long as they have the card. If you have one of these, please contact American Express at the number on the back of your card to request the upgrade. American Express will verify your eligibility and request the upgrade for you. Marriott Bonvoy® does not have access to American Express cardholder information, so please follow up with American Express if you encounter any delays or difficulty.

Tejas

TF Premier
Airmiles Expert
Credit Card Expert
Not exactly a platinum experience from amex so far!

Sorry but cant help laugh at this. I have been screaming about the same thing on Twitter. Beyond that polished English Language and the basics of Amex Cards, there isnt much that the Customer Support knows when it comes to trouble shooting of major issues.

My experience of this started in 2020 when Amex took 7 weeks to change my Welcome Bonus from Taj Vouchers to 100K MR Points and then they had no clue on how EazyDiner Membership could be availed or the complimentary Card Protection Plan can be available.

I often say this - A true test of Customer Support is when a knowledgeable person calls with an issue and then how Customer Support executive resolves the issue.

theglobalinvestor

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Just got the same rejection message and spent another 15 minutes on the phone with platinum support. They said its not working from their end right now and to try again after a few days. They also sent me a link to the platinum benefits page. :rolleyes:

SMGROW

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
My status is showing as pending and it has been more than 10 days I enrolled to upgrade to Gold Elite. AMEX chat support asked me to email a screenshot of the enrolment page for escalation and told to wait for 2-3 business days.

Im trying to register my marriott bonvoy membership in AMEX website to transfer my reward points. But im getting the following error:
Your Frequent Flyer account could not be registered. Please contact Marriott Bonvoy™ so we can register your Frequent Flyer account
Did anyone face the same issue? How to resolve this ? Thanks