• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Joint account for unmarried couple?

sharpened

TF Select
Do any banks (proper banks, not apps) allow unmarried couples to open a savings account in joint mode? High AMB doesn't matter as need to store a high amount for proof of funds sometime in the next couple of years.

Please don't offer unsolicited relationship advice. Yes, I understand the risk.

SSV

TF Pioneer
Contributor
VIP Lounge
Do any banks (proper banks, not apps) allow unmarried couples to open a savings account in joint mode? High AMB doesn't matter as need to store a high amount for proof of funds sometime in the next couple of years.

I don't know, if they ask for marriage certificate for joint account holder? do they?

gigachad

TF Premier

Maybe this will help

WinSuperb7251

TF Select

I think joint account can be opened with anyone. No relation needee

pgarg24

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
I believe Indusind have something called partner account.. they allow it for couples too as per their website. QAB is 1L or FD of 10L but since you are ok to park money that's not an issue.. you can try this.. there's an apply button on the below link for joint account.

Both you and your partner would get seperate visa signature debit cards, each having BMS offers and airport lounge access.

SSV

TF Pioneer
Contributor
VIP Lounge
I believe Indusind have something called partner account.. they allow it for couples too as per their website. MAB is 1L or FD of 10L but since you are ok to park money that's not an issue.. you can try this.. there's an apply button on the below link for joint account.

Both you and your partner would get seperate visa signature debit cards, each having BMS offers and airport lounge access.

So double bonanza!!

SSV

TF Pioneer
Contributor
VIP Lounge

sharpened

TF Select
You tried with anybank branch?
Not yet. I have non-existent relationships with all of my RMs because they keep calling me and insisting on a "personal meeting" alongwith their supervisor. They can't see a little bit of money without wanting a slice of it for themselves.
Actually what you could do:
Go to your preferred Bank and explain the situation and they will definitely help you..
Thanks, will do.

financewizard

TF Premier
VIP Lounge

Yes, you can. To open a JOINT account - you need not be married or something like that. Even you and your friends / Business partners can open a joint account. The relationship between the account holders is not important - it can be ANYTHING. But note that for TDS and tax purposes, the PAN and other info of Account holder 1 will be considered. This works only with Savings / Current Accounts, not with Salary or Senior citizen or any other account or insurance etc..

financewizard

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
IDFC bank has a field for "Relationship with Primary Holder" in their joint account opening form.

Here: https://www.idfcfirstbank.com/conte...al-Joint-Savings-Account-Opening-Form-V12.pdf

Doesn't inspire confidence, which is why I opened this thread.
Usually, when you go to the bank and ask for an account opening, they themself will fill out the form - in many of those cases, they will not even fill these fields :)
You can just fill in something like "Friend", "Partner" etc or even leave it blank. As I mentioned in my earlier thread, the ACTUAL relationship between the account holders is immaterial - for savings account opening.

sm9811911

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
They wont ask for proof. At the same time not sure if friends etc is an option.
Fyi: likely you will have to visit branch for entire process. As banks generally don't allow account opening online for joint.

financewizard

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
They wont ask for proof. At the same time not sure if friends etc is an option.
Fyi: likely you will have to visit branch for entire process. As banks generally don't allow account opening online for joint.
You are right - banks usually have joint account openings offline at branches. But I am 100% sure friends or business partners or any 2 non-related individuals can open a savings account in India. If Banks are not allowing, it is usually the ignorance of the banking staff.

Even you can refer to the external website threads - https://www.nobroker.in/forum/can-friends-open-joint-bank-account-in-india/ or https://www.quora.com/Can-I-open-a-joint-account-with-my-friend

sm9811911

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
You are right - banks usually have joint account openings offline at branches. But I am 100% sure friends or business partners or any 2 non-related individuals can open a savings account in India. If Banks are not allowing, it is usually the ignorance of the banking staff.

Even you can refer to the external website threads - https://www.nobroker.in/forum/can-friends-open-joint-bank-account-in-india/ or https://www.quora.com/Can-I-open-a-joint-account-with-my-friend
You are probably right re business partners