• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Jana Bank employee refused more than a month old, laminated e-Aadhaar during account opening, should I escalate?

xfactcc

TF Premier
In the beginning of August, I opened a savings account with Jana SFB via paper form.

During the application I wanted to submit a laminated masked Aadhaar card which was cut out from e-Aadhaar downloaded in April this year. The download date is mentioned in the card.

The official refused to accept it saying it is more than a month old, and only latest e-Aadhaar is accepted. He told me because it is easy to change address in Aadhaar so this is the policy, he wanted 'original' Aadhaar or other address proof, I ultimately gave Voter ID. Now I have not read about it anywhere online when I searched, UIDAI says e-Aadhaar is equivalent to Aadhaar card provided by them and OVD. It doesn't mention any validity neither does RBI's website. Please let me know if there is any such existing policy.

Interestingly other banks have accepted the same card in the past without issue.
I had enquired about it to their customer care email ID customercare@janabank.com and yesterday I received an email where they affirmed this 'policy'. Screenshot attached.

What do you think people, is a violation of RBI's or UIDAI's norms, should I escalate it? Do I have a good case?

Attachments

• Jana Aadhaar validity response.jpg
    Jana Aadhaar validity response.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 59

saucy

TF Ace
I think I understand the logic.
It's a flawed one where they tried mixing two different policies - one for normal aadhaar and other for e-Aadhaar.

If you're using the e-Aadhaar, the whole of it is that it should be latest (within the month), for which they actually mention the download date

It has nothing to do with the fact that it's masked.

So banks, if taking e aadhaar want it in the digilocker or downloaded within a month.

If you however use an "original", they allow any date -- because a major chunk which would not be tech savvy won't get an e-Aadhaar. So the normal one would have to do.

harsh1387

TF Ace
In the beginning of August, I opened a savings account with Jana SFB via paper form.

During the application I wanted to submit a laminated masked Aadhaar card which was cut out from e-Aadhaar downloaded in April this year. The download date is mentioned in the card.

The official refused to accept it saying it is more than a month old, and only latest e-Aadhaar is accepted. He told me because it is easy to change address in Aadhaar so this is the policy, he wanted 'original' Aadhaar or other address proof, I ultimately gave Voter ID. Now I have not read about it anywhere online when I searched, UIDAI says e-Aadhaar is equivalent to Aadhaar card provided by them and OVD. It doesn't mention any validity neither does RBI's website. Please let me know if there is any such existing policy.

Interestingly other banks have accepted the same card in the past without issue.
I had enquired about it to their customer care email ID customercare@janabank.com and yesterday I received an email where they affirmed this 'policy'. Screenshot attached.

What do you think people, is a violation of RBI's or UIDAI's norms, should I escalate it? Do I have a good case?
I faced same issue wuth hdfc account opening via branch 2 days back. My Aadhar Photostat was from June. They needed current one. So I downloaded from e aadhar and printed a current one. Maybe it's actually a policy from some banks these days. Anyways it's a small matter and shouldnt be bothered about.

AritraSaha

TF Legend

I think this masked aadhar thing is for hotel resort, etc..

You don't need to do it for regulated entity like bank..

xfactcc

TF Premier
why do you want to escalate it
you didnt bear any financial losses due to this behavioru
you got your bank acc opened
khatam karo baat
That's selfish in my opinion, if a bank is making its own arbitrary rules I believe I will fight it so it's rectified and others are benefitted even if my work is done.

sxchzy

TF Legend
VIP Lounge
That's selfish in my opinion, if a bank is making its own arbitrary rules I believe I will fight it so it's rectified and others are benefitted even if my work is done.
the world we live in is selfish
and the world is too croked for you to go out there and become mother teresa
at the end it is every man for his own
and also banks are regulated by rbi so they wont makes rules of their own and give them in writing to youif it is not accordong to the banks policy

xfactcc

TF Premier
the world we live in is selfish
and the world is too croked for you to go out there and become mother teresa
at the end it is every man for his own
and also banks are regulated by rbi so they wont makes rules of their own and give them in writing to youif it is not accordong to the banks policy
I beg to differ. :)

If it is indeed bank's policy and if it is valid, let me see by escalating and ultimately bringing attention of RBI especially since it's not universal across banks.

sxchzy

TF Legend
VIP Lounge
I beg to differ. :)

If it is indeed bank's policy and if it is valid, let me see by escalating and ultimately bringing attention of RBI especially since it's not universal across banks.
your choice
if there were any financial loss occured i would have differed and said escalate it
because at the end of the day you have to do cost benefit analysis and weigh things accordingly

xfactcc

TF Premier
your choice
if there were any financial loss occured i would have differed and said escalate it
because at the end of the day you have to do cost benefit analysis and weigh things accordingly
I faced inconvenience.

I am curious, can a bank have their own additional policies like this?

Since escalation is not going to have an adverse consequence on me, then why not. I am willing to spend the time and and effort.

Last edited:

sxchzy

TF Legend
VIP Lounge
I faced inconvenience.

Since escalation is not going to have an adverse consequence on me, then why not. I am willing to spend the time and and effort.
yes it can have
it wouldnt give it to you in writing if it didnt have it according to the rules
that would be perjury and no bank would open itself up to some liability like this

sm9811911

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
I faced inconvenience.

You should then.. More power to you.

xfactcc

TF Premier
yes it can have
it wouldnt give it to you in writing if it didnt have it according to the rules
that would be perjury and no bank would open itself up to some liability like this
Point.

But since I couldn't find any resource from regulators like RBI or UIDAI and other banks have accepted it without issue, I wonder if it is just first line of customer service being lazy without being diligent. I would seriously consider it if it came from someone of Nodal Officer rank or higher, just my opinion.

hema220

TF Premier
Every bank has their own policies, downloading e- aadhar is so simple, if your mobile number is linked with aadhar card. hence, submitting latest e-aadhar card is not a issue to be considered.