• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Jana Bank employee refused more than a month old, laminated e-Aadhaar during account opening, should I escalate?

xfactcc

TF Premier
Every bank has their own policies, downloading e- aadhar is so simple, if your mobile number is linked with aadhar card. hence, submitting latest e-aadhar card is not a issue to be considered.
Many people still do not have mobile number linked with Aadhaar, some people still use feature phone etc.

Banks should not have unilateral policies which defy common rationale like Aadhaar's own validity set UIDAI, or RBI's regulations.

The person above said they were denied submission of PVC Aadhaar which is the original Aadhaar, some banks insist on Aadhaar etc., they should be shown their place.

RajeshV

TF Premier
Many bank staff simply have no clue about the PVC card yet, and simply say they can't accept it to be on the safe side.

As for eAadhaar, it has always been required to get it fresh. And this is for your own protection.

We don't really have good document storage/disposal practices and given enough time, something like eAadhaar, which you can make unlimited copies of, has a decent probablity of ending up with somebody engaged in identity theft.

xfactcc

TF Premier
Many bank staff simply have no clue about the PVC card yet, and simply say they can't accept it to be on the safe side.

As for eAadhaar, it has always been required to get it fresh. And this is for your own protection.

We don't really have good document storage/disposal practices and given enough time, something like eAadhaar, which you can make unlimited copies of, has a decent probablity of ending up with somebody engaged in identity theft.
Yes, bank staff being ignorant just say no. Which needs to change, they need to do their homework.

I have used my eAadhaar card without issue in several banks while others have objected.

That is the reason I submit other OVD than Aadhaar or use masked Aadhaar which is only possible via eAadhaar route. But asking to generate the same every time when they can verify from their end if the submitted details match or not, is nuisance.

RajeshV

TF Premier
That is the reason I submit other OVD than Aadhaar or use masked Aadhaar which is only possible via eAadhaar route. But asking to generate the same every time when they can verify from their end if the submitted details match or not, is nuisance.
If you were able to use an old masked Aadhaar to open an account or get a telephone line, so can anybody else that gets their hands on it. And then proceed to use them for their drug deals or whatever else.

Old eAadhaars, masked or otherwise, must not be allowed as ID proof. You absolutely have no control over them.

Come to think of it, I suppose they can even edit the dates and use it or whatever, but that's beyond the fact.

xfactcc

TF Premier

If you were able to use an old masked Aadhaar to open an account or get a telephone line, so can anybody else that gets their hands on it. And then proceed to use them for their drug deals or whatever else.

Old eAadhaars, masked or otherwise, must not be allowed as ID proof. You absolutely have no control over them.

Come to think of it, I suppose they can even edit the dates and use it or whatever, but that's beyond the fact.
E Aadhaar is equivalent to postal Aadhaar as per UIDAI Act hence it doesn't have the concept of new or old if the information in the card remains unchanged. Anybody can misuse your Aadhaar or any ID hence it wise not to lose them, I don't understand why e Aadhaar is special suspect here.

Again e Aadhaar is equivalent to postal Aadhaar visually and in all practical purposes as per law, so why make the distinction and what control are you referring to?

Any digitally issued ID can be morphed, in fact with enough malintent any ID can be morphed, hence banks are equipped with the ability to verify the documents from their end.

RajeshV

TF Premier
E Aadhaar is equivalent to postal Aadhaar as per UIDAI Act
I don't see why you're so caught up with the "Act", nobody here is questioning that aspect.
Anybody can misuse your Aadhaar or any ID hence it wise not to lose them, I don't understand why e Aadhaar is special suspect here.
You would know if you lose a physical Aadhaar (or other ID) card and can atleast take some proactive measures to protect yourself. You wouldn't have the slightest idea in case of eAadhaar and it won't be a single card as you can make infinite 'original' copies.
what control are you referring to?
Control over the copies. Anybody with a phone that has access to your paper for 5 seconds can make infinite 'original' copies.
banks are equipped with the ability to verify the documents from their end.
You were the one complaining that they refused to do that. Do enlighten me how they can.

xfactcc

TF Premier
1. Because I want to follow the law and regulations, not the bank's own arbitrary policy that contradicts them.
2. My e Aadhaar is physical as I mentioned as I have it into a card. Secondly, just lost phone is not enough, they would have to know my Aadhaar number too to make infinite copies.
Agreeably, I am against multiple generations of eAadhaar unless information has changed. I don't want to generate a new copy for each KYC leading to greater chances of loss or misuse.
3. Access to my paper? Anybody with access to my phone and my Aadhaar card number can make copies of Aadhaar.
The same can be said for eEpic, eRation card too. I suppose your argument is against issuing e-IDs in general?
4. The same way postal Aadhaar is verified from their end, every bank has provisions to authenticate Aadhaar, they can do the same for e Aadhaar too as the information is identical. In my case they refused it summarily, they didn't run it through system.

I never got the "adhaar card" via post.
Downloaded e-adhaar (non-masked with VID), took a colour pint, cut the bottom portion (Adhaar part), folded in half and got it laminated, whole thing costed about Rs.25.
No one ever refused this till date. Normally give a photo copy of this and now I myself pen-out the first 8 digits while submitting, after showing the "original".

rajcasio

TF Premier
I never got the "adhaar card" via post.
Downloaded e-adhaar (non-masked with VID), took a colour pint, cut the bottom portion (Adhaar part), folded in half and got it laminated, whole thing costed about Rs.25.
No one ever refused this till date. Normally give a photo copy of this and now I myself pen-out the first 8 digits while submitting, after showing the "original".
This downloaded & laminated AADHAAR fails during NEW/REPLACEMENT SIM. They will SCAN the QR and it fails. They insist on the ORIGINAL (
GOVT printed). I faced this issue.

This downloaded & laminated AADHAAR fails during NEW/REPLACEMENT SIM. They will SCAN the QR and it fails. They insist on the ORIGINAL (
GOVT printed). I faced this issue.
may be an issue with the printer/lamination process. In my case, the few times QR scan was done, it was successful. Also, the lamination gets dirty over time. I normally clean it with sanitizer liquid and cotton once every 2-3 mths.

xfactcc

TF Premier
Final update:

It took 6 months and 17 days (longest ever for me) but justice came in the end.

Dedicated to all those who were sceptical or thought this is pointless, there were quite a few of you. ;) Refer to the attached PDF for your viewing pleasure.

Moral of the story, if you think an organisation is doing wrong, please take necessary measures afforded to us so those who cannot are indirectly benefited.

PS. At the time of filing complaint 1,000 was the compensation asked, so I received maximum compensation. Personal details have been removed.

Please use this as a predecent when another bank attempts to do the same non-compliant practice.

Thank you.

Attachments

• RBI verdict.pdf
    84.8 KB · Views: 7
Last edited: