• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Is SBI Cashback card even worth it?

I have been tracking my expenses and cashback for last 8 months and I am not able to reconcile where they give 1% and where they give 5%.

When they say "online", it looks like purely Indian e-commerce sites like Flipkart, Amazon, and BigBasket qualify, and not really other places you pay on web. Places I've not gotten are- Tata AIG insurance, Google workspace account, Uber, Indeed premium, any charity (e.g. Goonj, Akshaypatra), Flynote vacations (received once, didn't receive second time), Agoda hotels, etc. This is approximation because my calculated numbers and their numbers don't exactly match.

Because of this uncertainty, my net cashback for last year is 2.6% even though I use this card exclusively online. This is less than 3.3% default from Diner Black where I don't have to think at all. Moreover in middle of month when I check I see one number, in the statement I see different number (even smaller), and in the credit I see even other different number than in the statement. When asking customer service, they sent generic response on which MCCs are eligible and which not. This doesn't explain why their own statement amount and credit amount are different.

I want to cancel this card. What am I missing?

techt

TF Legend
Check their TnCs and where ever you are getting 1% or 0% could be utilities, insurances etc.

For Uber/ola the best is buy an amazon gv and add it to amazon wallet. Link the amazon wallet to uber/ola.

Hotels/flights/hospitality : some apps like cleartrip had railways as MCC for a while and the card didn't reward. Now its fixed I guess.

Charity - not sure .

I check every statement of mine and the 5% is intact. Few days ago I purchased some books online, they too earned 5%.

Last edited:

insight

TF Ace
I have been tracking my expenses and cashback for last 8 months and I am not able to reconcile where they give 1% and where they give 5%.

When they say "online", it looks like purely Indian e-commerce sites like Flipkart, Amazon, and BigBasket qualify, and not really other places you pay on web. Places I've not gotten are- Tata AIG insurance, Google workspace account, Uber, Indeed premium, any charity (e.g. Goonj, Akshaypatra), Flynote vacations (received once, didn't receive second time), Agoda hotels, etc. This is approximation because my calculated numbers and their numbers don't exactly match.

Because of this uncertainty, my net cashback for last year is 2.6% even though I use this card exclusively online. This is less than 3.3% default from Diner Black where I don't have to think at all. Moreover in middle of month when I check I see one number, in the statement I see different number (even smaller), and in the credit I see even other different number than in the statement. When asking customer service, they sent generic response on which MCCs are eligible and which not. This doesn't explain why their own statement amount and credit amount are different.

I want to cancel this card. What am I missing?
I believe it is for "online shopping" not Insurance etc.

So I've mostly ventured towards it due to wider e shopping needs beyond Amazon.
H&M, Zara, Etc.

Although I might have to track / track & audit if the numbers hold true as I haven't sat and verified.

Calm Radiance

TF Premier
I've also noticed similar pattern where its less than 5%, on calculating its not what they promise and on reaching customer care they give only generic response, moreover its difficult to calculate on which spends they've not considered 5% cashback when there are several transactions done hence I'm planning to downgrade the card to simplyclick if that's possible by next year.

Note : I've checked their exclusions and none of my expenses falls in it (for eg. online shopping from jiomart/ dmart) yet 5% is not received each time.
Insurance, utilities are excluded. Hope this solves your query.

Screenshot 2024-01-12 103546.png

Last edited:

FinoGuy

TF Ace
Share your transaction history iydm. I'll try to solve the puzzle..
I've also noticed similar pattern where its less than 5%, on calculating its not what they promise and on reaching customer care they give only generic response, moreover its difficult to calculate on which spends they've not considered 5% cashback when there are several transactions done hence I'm planning to downgrade the card to simplyclick if that's possible by next year.

Note : I've checked their exclusions and none of my expenses falls in it (for eg. online shopping from jiomart/ dmart) yet 5% is not received each time.
Insurance, utilities are excluded. Hope this solves your query.

Drb

TF Buzz
Pretty neat. Where did you find this?
This is the one..

Calm Radiance

TF Premier
Would suggest checking this link that was shared somewhere in this community. It worked for me till time and gave 5% cashback for all the transactions I made till time (mostly on amazon, bigbasket, blinkit, swiggy, goibibo)

this is very neat, there should be a provision in technofino where such posts can be pinned so that these posts dont get lost after so many comments.

Yes but uncertainty is what's makes this unreliable. Like chasing extra uncertain 1.7% at cost of -2.3% (vs Diner Black).
I believe it is for "online shopping" not Insurance etc.

So I've mostly ventured towards it due to wider e shopping needs beyond Amazon.
H&M, Zara, Etc.

Although I might have to track / track & audit if the numbers hold true as I haven't sat and verified.
Re: Axis Ace, I applied twice (early 2023, mid 2023) and they said they have stopped offering it. I do keep hearing the recommendations on forums though.
Good., cancel the card..
P.s: get axis ace for a refreshing experience about credit card exclusions

SSV

TF Pioneer
Contributor
VIP Lounge
SBI CB card is much much worth it….

SBI CB card is the best CB card in the market right now, with generous 5k per month limit @5% on online spends with clearly mentioned exclusions

Unless you have several transactions on a single day, it is quite easy to track whether you received 5% or not , as it posts CB immediately after transaction is settled in the accrual column.

SBI correctly follows MCC codes notified under exclusion list..
I have never faced any issues while accumulating my CB as below in a period of 12 months..

1706023159278.png

Last edited: